3600X stock cooler is really loud, what AIO cooler is best?

As the title says, my 3600x sounds like its preparing for take off when I play overwatch, 2700 RPM at 49 c in speedfan, but in bios it said it was at around 60 (obviously not while playing OW) so who really knows.

I'm on a bit of a budget, I'd rather not spend more money on this damn box right now. I'm in Vancouver Canada, so everything is more expensive.

Can anyone recommend me some solutions / a good AIO that will keep my PC quiet and cooled for a reasonable price (100cad)

It's been a while since I've built a pc, so quick question: Is it possible to use older AIO coolers for intel cpu's like i7 4770ks on the 3600X AM4? Because I have a corsair AIO sitting in my old build.

Build:

Thermaltake corev21 microATX

asrock b450m pro4 microATX

Ryzen 3600x with stock cooler

DDR4 3200mhz  Corsair Vengeance LPX C16

GTX 970 STRIX (temporary card, soon to be 1070 in a HOT minute)

m.2 500gb

Just adjust your fan curve

Don't buy a cheap AIO

If you need a new cooler, get a cheaper air cooler.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

50$ aircoolers are like way better then 120$ AIO's. Just saying.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Just now, Slottr said:

Just adjust your fan curve

Don't buy a cheap AIO

If you need a new cooler, get a cheaper air cooler.

What are the recommended corresponding fan speeds to temperature? Don't want to set it lower than I should or higher than I should.

Are air coolers comparable when it comes to noise with AIO coolers?

2 minutes ago, maxwellius said:

Is it possible to use older AIO coolers for intel cpu's like i7 4770ks on the 3600X AM4? Because I have a corsair AIO sitting in my old build.

if you have the bracket for it, sure

but bigger air coolers will do the job, which is easy because the stock cooler isnt big by any means

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

You don't need an AIO for 3600X, get smth like Scythe Fuma 2 \ Ninja 5 if you wan't some overkill but cheap cooling but you'll be good with CM Hyper 212 \ Arctic 34 \ Deepcool 400 too.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, HanZie82 said:

50$ aircoolers are like way better then 120$ AIO's. Just saying.

Oh. Why is this? It's always been my impression that AIO was superior. *(haven't done much research as you can tell)

Just now, maxwellius said:

What are the recommended corresponding fan speeds to temperature? Don't want to set it lower than I should or higher than I should.

Are air coolers comparable when it comes to noise with AIO coolers?

Play with it and see. I don't know what case you use, what your ambient is, how many fans you have...

Just as long as it's below like 72 when on high load

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

So what I've gathered is the general consensus is that a good air cooler is better and cheaper than a 100 dollar AIO.

Gonna do some further research, but that looks like the best option for me, considering my budget.

2 minutes ago, maxwellius said:

Oh. Why is this? It's always been my impression that AIO was superior. *(haven't done much research as you can tell)

They're on par with similarly priced air coolers, see, AIOs have an advantage of better heat transfer to the radiator over heatpipes but you need a bigger radiator to make use of it, with 120\140mm radiator it ain't gonna change much. They only worth to go for if you have really tight mini-ITX build.

Just now, Juular said:

They're on par with similarly priced air coolers, see, AIOs have an advantage of better heat transfer to the radiator over heatpipes but you need a bigger radiator to make use of it, with 120\140mm radiator it ain't gonna change much. They only worth to go for if you have really tight mini-ITX build.

Yeah I have a small micro ATX build, Thermaltake corev21, so I think I'll just go with an air cooler. Appreciate the help!

1 minute ago, maxwellius said:

So what I've gathered is the general consensus is that a good air cooler is better and cheaper than a 100 dollar AIO.

Gonna do some further research, but that looks like the best option for me, considering my budget.

No, for 100$ you can get a perfectly good 280mm AIO some would argue that Noctua NH-D15 for slightly cheaper would be better but i don't think so, maybe it'll win in performance to noise ratio marginally but 280mm AIO will have higher peak performance and if you count the price of case fans it comes with it's obvious that it's also cheaper than NH-D15 at that (you wouldn't need to get additional case fans with an AIO in contrast with a build with air cooler).

@maxwellius I'd suggest you to list which case you have with which types of RAM-s, and what would be your budget. Then the Community can recommend good aircoolers to fit your needs.

edit: oh, I was typing slowly :) 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

6 minutes ago, maxwellius said:

You can get a damn good air cooler for $100, something like this, or this, or even this if you can spend a bit more.

Never mind I just saw you have a small case. If you can't fit large coolers and AIO might actually be better. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

No, for 100$ you can get a perfectly good 280mm AIO some would argue that Noctua NH-D15 for slightly cheaper would be better but i don't think so, maybe it'll win in performance to noise ratio marginally but 280mm AIO will have higher peak performance and if you count the price of case fans it comes with it's obvious that it's also cheaper than NH-D15 at that (you wouldn't need to get additional case fans with an AIO in contrast with a build with air cooler).

Im sorry to say but thats wrong information.
Let me find some collaborating evidence for that.

Note we are comparing a 150$ AIO with a 50$ aircooler.

Ok im done now. Hope we can get a consensus here. Watercooling is nice but AIO dont really cut it at the moment.

Just now, HanZie82 said:

Im sorry to say but thats wrong information.
Let me find some collaborating evidence for that.

What exactly are wrong with this in your opinion ?

4 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

@maxwellius I'd suggest you to list which case you have with which types of RAM-s, and what would be your budget. Then the Community can recommend good aircoolers to fit your needs.

edit: oh, I was typing slowly :) 

Fixed!

lmao mine is dead ass quiet 

Main System:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth GPU: PowerColor RX 580 8 GB Red Devil RAM: 16gb Trident Z RGB 3200MHz Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case Case Fans: 2 Stock NZXT fans SSD: Kingston A400 128gb HDD: WD Caviar Blue Monitor: AOC G2460PF 

Secondary System:

Late-2018 Mac Mini

CPU: Intel Core i3-8100B GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 SSD: Stock Apple 128GB PCIe SSD Monitor Keyboard: Drevo GRAMR Mouse: Piranha M20 Monitor: ASUS VX228

Laptop:

Acer Predator Helios 300

CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti SSD's: Stock 256gb NVMe + Crucial CT500P1SSD8 P1 500 GB + Kingston A400 128gb

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

What exactly are wrong with this in your opinion ?

That no one will be able to get a 100$ AIO that comes even close to a good proper (50$-60$) aircooler.
And thats not my opinion, thats why i put 3 THREE videos on my post exclaiming the same.
So take it as you wish, i hope i did not come over to rude as that was definatly not my intention. :)

Just now, HanZie82 said:

That no one will be able to get a 100$ AIO that comes even close to a good proper (50$-60$) aircooler.
And thats not my opinion, thats why i put 3 THREE videos on my post exclaiming the same.
So take it as you wish, i hope i did not come over to rude as that was definatly not my intention. :)

this is true, i would only get a 100$ aio over an air cooler around 55$ if i had ocd for noise

Main System:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth GPU: PowerColor RX 580 8 GB Red Devil RAM: 16gb Trident Z RGB 3200MHz Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case Case Fans: 2 Stock NZXT fans SSD: Kingston A400 128gb HDD: WD Caviar Blue Monitor: AOC G2460PF 

Secondary System:

Late-2018 Mac Mini

CPU: Intel Core i3-8100B GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 SSD: Stock Apple 128GB PCIe SSD Monitor Keyboard: Drevo GRAMR Mouse: Piranha M20 Monitor: ASUS VX228

Laptop:

Acer Predator Helios 300

CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti SSD's: Stock 256gb NVMe + Crucial CT500P1SSD8 P1 500 GB + Kingston A400 128gb

Just now, HanZie82 said:

Uuuum, okay, check your sources\beliefs.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h115i_pro_review,10.html

That's Corsair H115i Pro, 100$ EVGA CLC 280 are pretty much comparable if not better, vs 90$ air cooler. And as i said, if you take into account the price of 2x140mm fans the AIO comes with, the price of 280mm AIO will be just about the same of NH-D15 at most.

10 minutes ago, AndrewB121 said:

You can get a damn good air cooler for $100, something like this, or this, or even this if you can spend a bit more.

Never mind I just saw you have a small case. If you can't fit large coolers and AIO might actually be better. 

My case has a cpu fan clearance for 185mm cpu coolers. Is this considered small still?

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Uuuum, okay, check your sources\beliefs.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h115i_pro_review,10.html

That's Corsair H115i Pro, 100$ EVGA CLC 280 are pretty much comparable if not better, vs 90$ air cooler. And as i said, if you take into account the price of 2x140mm fans the AIO comes with, the price of 280mm AIO will be just about the same of NH-D15 at most.

My apologies i did not know about that one. Altho ive not seen it for anthing less then 125+. But still its a good alternative. And were not talking 90$aircoolers but 50-60 at most. ;)

Just now, HanZie82 said:

And were not talking 90$aircoolers but 50-60 at most. ;)

Yeah, which will be even less comparable to 280mm AIO since they outperform (well, or at least on par with) even the best air cooler in the market. Sure, for your average gaming PC you don't need neither NH-D15 nor an AIO, 50$ Scythe Fuma 2 will be more than enough even for i9 9900k assuming you wouldn't run stress tests on it all day along.

As of these three videos, i've seen people linking them dozens of times (especially that LTT one), they're comparing 240mm AIOs or older generation 280mm AIOs (Corsair has pretty noisy fans even on current generation and those older ones were just awful), and if you actually see the results on third video, comparing 360mm AIO with NH-D15, you'll see that (of course), 360mm AIO has lower thermals on the CPU, but for some reason they have higher thermals on the GPU even if the AIO is top mounted, that's obviously some error in methodology, they just probably don't have any intake fans on the front, GPU needs some air and with the air cooler it at least moves some air around it making some improvement in thermals, mount one 140mm fan in the middle position on the front intake and it'll be fine. Now, 360mm AIOs are in fact isn't any better than 280mm unless you have very powerful CPU like TR4 \ Intel HEDT where 280mm just wouldn't cut it but 360mm AIO are more noisy than 280mm at the same performance level because of smaller fans.

Would this work in my case?

Thermaltake corev21 has a cpu fan clearance of 185mm, and the noctua has a height of 158mm. I'm now just worried if the width will touch the RAM, or If I can orientate the fan so its not touching the ram...

I've heard nothing but good things about noctua fans, quiet, cool, and ugly.