Coil-whine in games but not in FurMark?

Tieox

As per the title, when in Elder Scrolls Online especially I have coilwhine, yet when running FurMark over and over their is absolutely zero coil whine.

Is their something I am missing that could be causing this?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Coil whine depends on which parts of your GPU are under load and the type of load and or FPS it is running at. So different games/benchmarks = different results.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Coil whine does not depend on how much load the GPU is under, it depends on the specific task.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

In my experience it depends on the FPS, since you usually have rather low FPS in FurMark it wouldn't whine much. Run some low-load benchmark like Unigine Heaven on lowest settings and it will whine too.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Coil whine does not depend on how much load the GPU is under, it depends on the specific task.

By load I meant pretty much what @Juular said, because I've experienced the same with mine. If the GPU is running at high enough FPS it'll whine, otherwise there's nothing.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

By load I meant pretty much what @Juular said, because I've experienced the same with mine. If the GPU is running at high enough FPS it'll whine, otherwise there's nothing.

Yeah I know.

Did you think I was replying to you or something? Why quote me?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Yeah I know.

Yeah, sorry, I thought that was a response to what I said ?

Strange that it only begun to exhibit such a coil whine today, been fine for months beforehand with zero noise. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

8 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Coil whine depends on which parts of your GPU are under load and the type of load and or FPS it is running at. So different games/benchmarks = different results.

8 hours ago, Enderman said:

7 hours ago, Enderman said:

Yeah I know.

Well was on ESO just now, and it stopped whining.  I shall chalk it up to a win.

llama jumping GIF

My card whines noticeably if I go over 1000 FPS which can happen in some loading screens or menus if I don't use vsync, but during normal use it's never noticeable.  Essentially, the whine is not dependent on load or percent utilization, but framerate.  However, that's just what mine does, yours may be different.  The point is that it's not necessarily as simple as max load = max whine - different kinds of demands and actions can cause a different outcome.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My card whines noticeably if I go over 1000 FPS which can happen in some loading screens or menus if I don't use vsync, but during normal use it's never noticeable.  Essentially, the whine is not dependent on load or percent utilization, but framerate.  However, that's just what mine does, yours may be different.  The point is that it's not necessarily as simple as max load = max whine - different kinds of demands and actions can cause a different outcome.

it depends on the amount of current that the gpu is puling, furmark can be causing the gpu to pull more than the game dropping the audible frequency into human hearing range.

sorry I misread the title furmark could be puling enough power that it's going above your audible capabilities while the game puts it into your capabilities