AIO Cooler orientation

Go to solution Solved by tarfeef101,

Where the tubes come out of the block on the CPU should have no measurable impact on performance. Go with what fits, then out of those options whatever helps you route the tubing most easily (and/or what looks good if you care)

Hey guys, working on my first build and ran into a small problem. I’m doing a sffpc on a mini ITX board, and didn’t really consider that when selecting my AIO water cooler. The problem is that if I set it up with the log oriented properly and the inlet/outlet coming out the bottom right, it impedes on a RAM slot. So the choices are run only 1 stick of RAM, or turn the block 90° so the hoses are either on the top or the bottom. Prefer the top personally. My question is will this hamper cooling performance? It shouldn’t if the closed water system is free of air right? I just don’t know if the outlet was on the very bottom right because it uses gravity or anything. Might be a silly question but I just want to be sure. 

E2DFE6AE-4F73-4FCD-ACB5-C3FFDE2DEDD4.jpeg

Where the tubes come out of the block on the CPU should have no measurable impact on performance. Go with what fits, then out of those options whatever helps you route the tubing most easily (and/or what looks good if you care)

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Technically, if the radiator are mounted lower than the pump block it can affect performance since it'll pump some air which accumulates on the highest point of the system. Try to either mount the radiator higher than pump block or rotate the pump block 180° so the tubes will face down (assuming the motherboard will be mounted vertically).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Technically, if the radiator are mounted lower than the pump block it can affect performance since it'll pump some air which accumulates on the highest point of the system. Try to either mount the radiator higher than pump block or rotate the pump block 180° so the tubes will face down (assuming the motherboard will be mounted vertically).

The radiator will be mounted to the top of the case for that reason regardless. I’m more asking about the Pump block itself. ?

6 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Thanks for the assist! +1 to your life. 

1 minute ago, brantleycmd said:

Thanks for the assist! +1 to your life. 

my pleasure. feel free to mark a best answer so people know you're satisfied with the answer received. happy building!

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

3 minutes ago, brantleycmd said:

The radiator will be mounted to the top of the case for that reason regardless. I’m more asking about the Pump block itself. ?

Then it's good, air will just accumulate in the radiator, it'll affect the performance in a very minor way.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply