Ryzen 3600 won't overclock ram past 3200Mhz

CPU: R5 3600

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 PRO

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8Gb 4400Mhz (PVS416G440C9K)

So I got some Patriot 4400Mhz B-die ram today, wasn't expecting to be able to run it at the XMP of 4400 but I was hoping for around 3600 at least.

After trying all kinds of different voltages and timing from ryzen memory calculator ("safe" and "fast") and decoupling the infinity fabric, and setting it to anything and everything between 1067Mhz to 1600Mhz, nothing will get this ram past 3200Mhz.

Have I lost the silicon lottery with something? Is the memory faulty? or am I just being an idoit by expecting >3200Mhz?

Memory voltage? SOC voltage?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Need way more info 

First since its B-die and XMP set the voltage to 1.5V 100% safe run this every day even a little higher is fine. 

Set your SOC to 1.1V, set VDDP and VDDG voltage to 1.0V

Try looser timings at 16-16-16-36 and then start using the secondary timings from Ryzen calculator and work your way down it should boot at 3600mhz. 

19 minutes ago, SMBGUY said:

Need way more info 

First since its B-die and XMP set the voltage to 1.5V 100% safe run this every day even a little higher is fine. 

Set your SOC to 1.1V, set VDDP and VDDG voltage to 1.0V

Try looser timings at 16-16-16-36 and then start using the secondary timings from Ryzen calculator and work your way down it should boot at 3600mhz. 

I didn't try as high as 1.5 on the memory, I only tried 1.48. As for the SOC and VDDP/G voltages I tried 1.1v on each of them. I tried 16-16-17-36 at 3400 and that wouldn't boot either.

I could try even looser?

Update:

The settings in the picture below get me into windows and are stable.

image.png.ab138eeee88766c3ecd36ce68601bf9f.png

The settings in picture below wouldn't get me into windows at 3400Mhz and 1.5v with 1.1v SOC and VDDP/G (I know 3800Mhz is pictured).

After hitting "save and exit" with these settings in the bois, theres a boot loop of 3/4 times then into windows at the default specs for the RAM of 2133 cas 15 etc.

78569539_450656588986394_3890309938525765632_n.thumb.jpg.2dccc363d69cc236fecb3acbd560a7cc.jpg

Edited by Ryan_Vickers
cleaned inappropriate background of screenshot

Sorry for the late reply something is odd for sure what slots do you have your memory on? Perhaps try slots A1 and B1 or A2+B2. 

Something is for sure off do  you have the latest bios installed? 

Finally can you give me a screen shot of your memory using Thaiphoon Burner. 

1 hour ago, SMBGUY said:

Sorry for the late reply something is odd for sure what slots do you have your memory on? Perhaps try slots A1 and B1 or A2+B2. 

Something is for sure off do  you have the latest bios installed? 

Finally can you give me a screen shot of your memory using Thaiphoon Burner. 

758624201_memoryspecs.thumb.png.cedc6337e806aa610ddfc248687eb871.png

I updated the bois to F10 (latest) in the process of troubleshooting this with no result.

The memory is in A1 and B1 currently. I put it in A2 and B2 when I first built the pc and it wouldn't boot. It was corsair vengeance pro, not sure if having this RAM would change that?

The CPU has been in and out twice since first installed, no bent/missing pins so I doubt it's that.

Try it again just to see also the newest bios might change things as well. 

I know this sounds odd but at overclock.net forums many people including me had that issue. Taking a look at your manual it says to use A2 and B2 first so yeah try that

Ok so lets add a bit more just to make sure

Geardown mode what do you have this on? What is it wanting to default too? 

7 hours ago, SMBGUY said:

Ok so lets add a bit more just to make sure

Geardown mode what do you have this on? What is it wanting to default too? 

Sorry for the late reply, had to go to sleep (uk timezone)

I tried geardown mode on and off and it didn't seem to do much.

I did find this thread:

I'm at work at the moment but I'm going to try that^ when I get back. I'll update this thread with the result.

52 minutes ago, Krystolyte said:

Sorry for the late reply, had to go to sleep (uk timezone)

I tried geardown mode on and off and it didn't seem to do much.

I did find this thread:

I'm at work at the moment but I'm going to try that^ when I get back. I'll update this thread with the result.

Please don't go over 1.2V on the soc at least you got to 3200mhz but still 3600 at 14 timings is what i expect you to be at. 

One more thing make sure you are not trying to boot with odd timings Ryzen doesn't like that. 

2 hours ago, SMBGUY said:

Please don't go over 1.2V on the soc at least you got to 3200mhz but still 3600 at 14 timings is what i expect you to be at. 

One more thing make sure you are not trying to boot with odd timings Ryzen doesn't like that. 

Just tried 3400Mhz doing what that post said and at cas 16 and cas 18 timings, 1.1v SOC and 1.48vMEM and it would still power cycle a couple of times, then post and be right back to 2133Mhz.

I'm really at a loss now, thinking about returning the 4400 kit and going back to my 3000 kit.

1 hour ago, Krystolyte said:

Just tried 3400Mhz doing what that post said and at cas 16 and cas 18 timings, 1.1v SOC and 1.48vMEM and it would still power cycle a couple of times, then post and be right back to 2133Mhz.

I'm really at a loss now, thinking about returning the 4400 kit and going back to my 3000 kit.

What is your VDDG and VDDP{ voltage please check Ryzen master to make sure its the same as what you set in the bios

3 hours ago, Krystolyte said:

Curious if you load xmp leave the timings at xmp defaults and just lower the frequency to 3600Mhz will it boot into windows? I know the timings are not ideal but humor me.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

20 hours ago, ddennis002 said:

Curious if you load xmp leave the timings at xmp defaults and just lower the frequency to 3600Mhz will it boot into windows? I know the timings are not ideal but humor me.

No it dosen't make it into windows. Same result as when I try to boot with any other settings over 3200Mhz

22 hours ago, SMBGUY said:

What is your VDDG and VDDP{ voltage please check Ryzen master to make sure its the same as what you set in the bios

In bios they can be set to as high as 1.1v each but in ryzen master they show up as "0" or some really small number like "4.40592e+0.7" and the memory frequency and infinity fabric frequency show up as "0" in RM as well.

Set your ram to the to the auto default 2133, Then run a full memtest. it will tell you if you happened to get a bad stick, it does happen from time to time.

4 hours ago, Krystolyte said:

In bios they can be set to as high as 1.1v each but in ryzen master they show up as "0" or some really small number like "4.40592e+0.7" and the memory frequency and infinity fabric frequency show up as "0" in RM as well.

That's weird it's most likely Ryzen Master not showing the right results BUT there's a small chance your board isn't inputting the voltage but that sounds more like a Asrock  thing to do(love their boards but their BIOS's haha i just now can change VDDG voltage after 2 months of beta bios's)

2 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

Set your ram to the to the auto default 2133, Then run a full memtest. it will tell you if you happened to get a bad stick, it does happen from time to time.

That's a great idea their is a chance you have a bad stick of memory run ryzen calculator change the memtest to look like this, least let it run to 400% on all threads before closing i let it run to 1500% to make sure its stable but that takes 8 hours or so, but i love to make sure my memory is pretty darn stable. 

Capture.PNG

8 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

6 hours ago, SMBGUY said:

That's weird it's most likely Ryzen Master not showing the right results BUT there's a small chance your board isn't inputting the voltage but that sounds more like a Asrock  thing to do(love their boards but their BIOS's haha i just now can change VDDG voltage after 2 months of beta bios's)

That's a great idea their is a chance you have a bad stick of memory run ryzen calculator change the memtest to look like this, least let it run to 400% on all threads before closing i let it run to 1500% to make sure its stable but that takes 8 hours or so, but i love to make sure my memory is pretty darn stable. 

Capture.PNG

Ran a 400% memtest at 2133 and got no errors. With the 3200 overclock I get errors almost immediatley, only takes about 20 seconds to get an error.

bad memory sticks

the viper steel is a great buy for the price, but maybe you got a bad batch!?!?!

Patriot Viper Steel 2x8Gb 4400Mhz (PVS416G440C9K)

Base Timings: 15-15-15-36; Overclock timing with XMP 2.0 enabled Tested Timings: 19-19-19-39

Gigabyte X570 PRO

is that the gb x570 aorus pro?

all i have on that board is that its  $260 and its like the ultra but cheaper and the taichi is a better buy.

well balanced board, at the same time though, there is the elite-nowifi

details on the mobo, 3866, 4000 on two sticks, qvl for t topology the board is daisy chained though

27 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

bad memory sticks

the viper steel is a great buy for the price, but maybe you got a bad batch!?!?!

Patriot Viper Steel 2x8Gb 4400Mhz (PVS416G440C9K)

Gigabyte X570 PRO

is that the gb x570 aorus pro?

all i have on that board is that its  $260 and its like the ultra but cheaper and the taichi is a better buy.

well balanced board, at the same time though, there is the elite-nowifi

details on the mobo, 3866, 4000 on two sticks, qvl for t topology the board is daisy chained though

I think i'll return the memory and see if the replacement stuff they send me is any better.

Yes it is the aorus pro, I got it for ~£210 where the taichi at the time was ~£280. The elite is probably the one I should have bought though.

The gigabyte spec on the wesite says it's capable of 4400 "OC". Fully wasn't expecting to be able hit that but more than 3200 would have been nice.

44 minutes ago, Krystolyte said:

I think i'll return the memory and see if the replacement stuff they send me is any better.

Yes it is the aorus pro, I got it for ~£210 where the taichi at the time was ~£280. The elite is probably the one I should have bought though.

The gigabyte spec on the wesite says it's capable of 4400 "OC". Fully wasn't expecting to be able hit that but more than 3200 would have been nice.

At this point you trued everything your memory is faulty return it as soon as possible not sure how long you had it but perhaps even get a refund and come back to us and ask what the best memory is for your budget.  Even PM me i know sometimes help here isn't the best or as fast i'm always on every day several times a day.

Sorry i really did try my best man

So, to finish off this thread I haven't returned the RAM and after trying everything including putting it in a mates PC, I put it in slots A2 and B2 which didn't post with the corsair stuff I had before.

Works fine. 4400MHz cas 19 no problem. Infinity fabric even goes to 1900Mhz stable.

cheers for the help