GPU Failure Or Something Else?

noahvt

Hi there!

I have a GTX 1050ti that's about 6 months old and it seems to have failed. I'm using a server and since I have a new GPU coming tomorrow I made a fresh install of windows that does not run in a virtual machine to run some tests. The windows install went fine, the graphics card was detected so I installed the driver. After installing the driver my system is failing.

Windows attempts to boot, hangs on the loading screen and then my server reboots with the message "Alert! System fatal error during previous boot" looking at the logs I get "CPU 1 machine check error detected." and "CPU 2 machine check error detected.". I then tested both cpu's and memory and all tests passed. I decided to boot back into my hypervisor to see if the same thing would happen in a virtual machine. The hypervisor booted fine and the virtual machine with the GPU booted fine as well. However, there is a problem. 2D mode seems to work but when entering a game I can play fine for about 1 minute before both audio and video start to stutter. I checked the temps and they are rather low. Only about 50 degrees Celsius when they used to be around 80. CPU usage is around the same as before (20%). I reinstalled windows in the vm and used DDU to remove to drivers to no avail.

I have no idea what happened here. Does this sound like a GPU failure or could something else be wrong?