Need Help With new pc Build

Zooted

I just finished building my first pc. It was working  fine when I first turned it on. Everything was running fine until randomly the fans stopped spinning and RGB lights on the motherboard turned off. Now whenever I try to turn on the computer the fans spin up for a second then turn off. I know the psu is working because RGB lights from the ram are still on. If anyone knows what my problem is please help.

Randomly seeming.  Let’s hope it wasn’t actually random.  If it was it could require parts swapping.  Some questions:

Could you please describe what you were doing with the pc and what was happening when it went down?

Are you on a nation such as USA/Canada that has 110v split phase power?  If so were you using a power strip?

was there an overclock on the machine?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Randomly seeming.  Let’s hope it wasn’t actually random.  If it was it could require parts swapping.  Some questions:

Could you please describe what you were doing with the pc and what was happening when it went down?

Are you on a nation such as USA/Canada that has 110v split phase power?  If so were you using a power strip?

was there an overclock on the machine?

I was installing windows and it shut down the fans and motherboard. I have gotten it to work a few times now but it still shuts off. It is plugged into a power strip and no overclock. 

every time I have gotten it to work has been when I leave it untouched for a while then it will boot again but a few minutes later shut off. 

4 minutes ago, Zooted said:

I was installing windows and it shut down the fans and motherboard. I have gotten it to work a few times now but it still shuts off. It is plugged into a power strip and no overclock. 

every time I have gotten it to work has been when I leave it untouched for a while then it will boot again but a few minutes later shut off. 

No power surge

no overclock

That downtime thing sounds like a heat problem.  Check the paste job on the cpu?  Be careful to twist and slide the cooler a bit so as not to rip the cpu put with the cooler if it’s AMD.

windows instal is also suspicious.  If windows machines hard crash in the middle of an install things can get badly messed up.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

No power surge

no overclock

That downtime thing sounds like a heat problem.  Check the paste job on the cpu?  Be careful to twist and slide the cooler a bit so as not to rip the cpu put with the cooler if it’s AMD.

windows instal is also suspicious.  If windows machines hard crash in the middle of an install things can get badly messed up.

I got windows to install to download and now it just randomly stopped. I think it might be the heat problem

1 minute ago, Zooted said:

I got windows to install to download and now it just randomly stopped. I think it might be the heat problem

Might be both.  Something caused the first hard crash.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I checked the thermal past and it looked fine. Still confused what could be causing it. Do you think I have enough power from the psu?

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I think it is the hdd. I unplugged the sata cable and it started up. Gonna have to repair it or get a new one I think. 

3 hours ago, Zooted said:

I think it is the hdd. I unplugged the sata cable and it started up. Gonna have to repair it or get a new one I think. 

Could be the cable, could be the port, could be the HD, could be what’s on the HD

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Could be the cable, could be the port, could be the HD, could be what’s on the HD

I don’t know what I did but it is working properly now.