Neutral Air Pressure

FunkyDaSushi

Hey I am building a pc with a h710i case and a x72 kraken. 

The h710i comes with 3 front 120mm fans and 1 140mm back fan which are all AER-F's. If I buy a x72 kraken can I move the 3 front fans to the top and use the x72 kraken as intake fans and also, would I be able to achieve a neutral air pressure?

Should I apply thermal paste for my i9 9900k or just use the pre applied one on the x72 kraken. 

Thank you all in advance

9 minutes ago, FunkyDaSushi said:

If I buy a x72 kraken can I move the 3 front fans to the top and use the x72 kraken as intake fans and also, would I be able to achieve a neutral air pressure?

Should I apply thermal paste for my i9 9900k or just use the pre applied one on the x72 kraken.

You may be able to achieve better temps with high quality paste, but the pre-applied paste should be good enough in most cases. Just make sure to remove the pre-applied paste if you decide to apply your own.

Why to you want to achieve neutral pressure in particular? Unless you can make certain that the amount of inflow is exactly equal to outflow, you'll either have positive or negative pressure.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Not sure about the clearances but I would try and install the rad at the top of the case. If the rad was in the front your intake air would not only be hotter from the cpu heat but it would also be restricted quite a bit from the already restrictive case making the case have negative pressure overall unless you crank up the fan speed compared to the exhaust fan speed.

As for thermal paste I would use what is pre applied since it will give you best coverage without guess work. Even with top tier aftermarket thermal paste you may only gain a degree or two which is not worth the hassle.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

7 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You may be able to achieve better temps with high quality paste, but the pre-applied paste should be good enough in most cases. Just make sure to remove the pre-applied paste if you decide to apply your own.

Why to you want to achieve neutral pressure in particular? Unless you can make certain that the amount of inflow is exactly equal to outflow, you'll either have positive or negative pressure.

so is negative better or positive?

1 minute ago, FunkyDaSushi said:

Generally if you can achieve slightly positive case pressure it will prevent dust from being sucked into the cracks and creases of the case. 

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

Cosmos Sv2:

• Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

1 minute ago, FunkyDaSushi said:

Usually positive is better, because it means your case will vent air, keeping out dust (with the exception of the fan intakes, which should have dust filters). If you have negative pressure, your case will suck in air from "anywhere", which means dust can get in more easily over time, because you don't have filters on all gaps.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/smartbuyer/over-easy/pc-cooling-how-to-set-up-computer-case-fans/

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Usually positive is better, because it means your case will vent air, keeping out dust (with the exception of the fan intakes, which should have dust filters). If you have negative pressure, your case will suck in air from "anywhere", which means dust can get in more easily over time, because you don't have filters on all gaps.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/smartbuyer/over-easy/pc-cooling-how-to-set-up-computer-case-fans/

so if I have 3 120mm AER-F fans on top 1 140mm AER-F at back as exhaust and the x72 kraken at front as intake will it be more positive or negative?

btw here is my build: 

8 minutes ago, FunkyDaSushi said:

So if I have 3 120mm AER-F fans on top 1 140mm AER-F at back as exhaust and the x72 kraken at front as intake will it be more positive or negative?

I'd assume positive, depending on how you're planing to orient the top fans. You'd have 6x intake and 1x exhaust.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

I'd assume positive, depending on how you're planing to orient the top fans. You'd have 6x intake and 1x exhaust.

so

3 at the top + 1 at back all exhaust

3 in front all as intake

makes positive?

Just now, FunkyDaSushi said:

so

3 at the top + 1 at back all exhaust

3 in front all as intake

makes positive?

No, if the top ones are also set to exhaust I'd expect it to be negative. You'd have 3x intake and 4x exhaust. To get a more precise estimate, you'd have to look at the volume of air moved by each fan, but you'd have to reduce that number by quite a bit, when they're behind a dust filter.

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

No, if the top ones are also set to exhaust I'd expect it to be negative. You'd have 3x intake and 4x exhaust. To get a more precise estimate, you'd have to look at the volume of air moved by each fan, but you'd have to reduce that number by quite a bit, when they're behind a dust filter.

so with the nzxt software i can decrease their rpm making the x72 intake more than the others exhaust?

Just now, FunkyDaSushi said:

so with the nzxt software i can decrease their rpm making the x72 intake more than the others exhaust?

Not familiar with the software. I suppose it's possible to reduce the RPMs of the exhaust fans. But it's probably easier to simply orient the top fans as intakes as well.

Keep in mind that the fans pushing air through your radiator have work to do, which means that'll reduce their pressure further, just as a dust filter will. And, as @NotSoEpicMods said, the air is going to be pre-heated, so I think you want more fans that bring in fresh air.

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Not familiar with the software. I suppose it's possible to reduce the RPMs of the exhaust fans. But it's probably easier to simply orient the top fans as intakes as well.

Keep in mind that the fans pushing air through your radiator have work to do, which means that'll reduce their pressure further, just as a dust filter will. And, as @NotSoEpicMods said, the air is going to be pre-heated, so I think you want more fans that bring in fresh air.

Yup was thinking having the rad at the top as a direct exhaust will leave plenty of fresh air for the remaining components. It would also help balance out the air pressure since the 3 exhaust would not be as restricted as if it were intake because the fans would have to fight the filter and the rad for intake.

Cosmos Sv2:

Old School AMD:

55 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

so i put x72 on top and leave the 3 aer where they are?

also how should i link the fans to be able to control them with maximus xi hero wifi motherboard?