DAC/AMP for DT880 Premium 250Ω

OlekKing

I have the E07K paired with a Lumia 620 and Shure 215 LTD. I needed it because my phone can't even drive a basic IEM properly without maxing out the volume. Maybe something wrong with the phone jack or just the software. The bass and treble settings included are pretty convenient when you need that extra oomph to your music when on the go.

Sometimes I use it for my desktop as DAC to avoid that faint hissing from the internal onboard sound (maybe caused by the internal wifi card), and also for the PS3 to control the volume cause I'm hooking it to my pc monitor which doesnt have a speaker line out.  

The E07K is good if you really need that amp portability and at the same time you can also use it for a standalone DAC. I got it for about 295MYR

I have the E07K paired with a Lumia 620 and Shure 215 LTD. I needed it because my phone can't even drive a basic IEM properly without maxing out the volume. Maybe something wrong with the phone jack or just the software. The bass and treble settings included are pretty convenient when you need that extra oomph to your music when on the go.

Sometimes I use it for my desktop as DAC to avoid that faint hissing from the internal onboard sound (maybe caused by the internal wifi card), and also for the PS3 to control the volume cause I'm hooking it to my pc monitor which doesnt have a speaker line out.  

The E07K is good if you really need that amp portability and at the same time you can also use it for a standalone DAC. I got it for about 295MYR

The fact that it's portable is convenient but not the reason i looked at it, it's simply one of the cheapest DAC/AMPs that are actually available here, there's cheaper ones but no stock for them neither a delivery date. Just like you i've see a few positive reviews about it so right now seems like a safe option. I don't need anything fancy, i just want it to get rid of the distortion/buzzing/hissing from my onboard and to be able to raise the volume better without messing up the audio. So does it do that just fine?

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

OlekKing, on 07 Feb 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:OlekKing, on 07 Feb 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

The fact that it's portable is convenient but not the reason i looked at it, it's simply one of the cheapest DAC/AMPs that are actually available here, there's cheaper ones but no stock for them neither a delivery date. Just like you i've see a few positive reviews about it so right now seems like a safe option. I don't need anything fancy, i just want it to get rid of the distortion/buzzing/hissing from my onboard and to be able to raise the volume better without messing up the audio. So does it do that just fine?

Yupe. The same reason for me when I bought it. I needed a cheap portable DAC/AMP combo It definitely solved my problem with the hissing onboard sound (plug in the usb cable and leave it there.Very simple) and still be portable enough to use with my phone (luckily the phone is quite small). Plus it is the only cheap portable DAC/AMP I can find here.

Edit: You can turn the USB charging off when connecting to your pc and not risk overcharging/damaging the battery.

Yupe. The same reason for me when I bought it. I needed a cheap portable DAC/AMP combo It definitely solved my problem with the hissing onboard sound (plug in the usb cable and leave it there.Very simple) and still be portable enough to use with my phone (luckily the phone is quite small). Plus it is the only cheap portable DAC/AMP I can find here.

Edit: You can turn the USB charging off when connecting to your pc and not risk overcharging/damaging the battery.

How long does the battery last/take to charge from real world experience?

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

OlekKing, on 07 Feb 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

How long does the battery last/take to charge from real world experience?

I usually charge from my pc usb while the PC is turned off (ASUS Ai Charger). Takes around 2+ hours to fully charge. But I only charge when there is only 1bar left. Should be faster if you have a usb wall socket charger.

E10 or the Objective O2. Depends on your budget.

Not available here.

Looked up the E10 but yeah it looks discontinued since every single retailer here doesn't have it available.

Did you check Ebay. You can always buy brand new stuff of Ebay. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Did you check Ebay. You can always buy brand new stuff of Ebay. 

I've read that the Amp on the E10 is slightly better but that they are on par and the E07K has the advantage of portability, i can get the E07K from a proper Swiss retailer for just 20 more bucks with all shipping and tax costs included rather than getting the E10 from some person on Ebay in a neighbor country. I think i rather get the Andes and have no worries.

The one I linked is just the amp, the separate amp and the combo unit should be on that site too.

But if you're strapped for cash or not willing to spend extra just the amp should do fine as the DAC on your mobo ought to be adequate.

But if you want the more expensive option would be to get both

Really the onboard Dac is more then enough as pretty much nothing is encoded is a format it can't decode. So just the amp will do, and work more then well enough for the DT's.

Really the onboard Dac is more then enough as pretty much nothing is encoded is a format it can't decode. So just the amp will do, and work more then well enough for the DT's.

Distortion and hiss, now it's really noticeable, the bass gets distorted on my pc on high volume levels

When using it on my PC i get a really bad distortion echo after a high pitched sound is played, for example clicking on the windows sound level when it plays that little sound there's a short distorted echo after it. I replug the headphones and it's gone but after a few seconds it reappears, haven't noticed this when using my phone (GS3 International) and it drives it pretty well but not loud enough for some music. I only notice some hiss on my phone but i get that strange distortion on my PC when using volume levels above 50% or so.

Distortion and hiss, now it's really noticeable, the bass gets distorted on my pc on high volume levels

Do you have all the "enhancements" off, and still getting just an O2 would solve that issue.

When using it on my PC i get a really bad distortion echo after a high pitched sound is played, for example clicking on the windows sound level when it plays that little sound there's a short distorted echo after it. I replug the headphones and it's gone but after a few seconds it reappears, haven't noticed this when using my phone (GS3 International) and it drives it pretty well but not loud enough for some music. I only notice some hiss on my phone but i get that strange distortion on my PC when using volume levels above 50% or so.

what about other headphones / headsets on the desktop PC? just to check. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

what about other headphones / headsets on the desktop PC? just to check. 

All enhancements and other crap is turned off, no other audio equipment is plugged.

All enhancements and other crap is turned off, no other audio equipment is plugged.

What he is saying is plug in other equipment to find out if its your motherboard or not. 

What he is saying is plug in other equipment to find out if its your motherboard or not. 

I had Philips speakers and they didn't have this.

So i noticed that after plugging the DTs into my PC that this distortion doesn't instantly appear, it seems that if i click the windows volume mixer at max volume each second enough times that it appears, if i spam it it starts distorting and then there's the distortion after each time i click but after i went into the properties and disabled the device and enabled it again it was gone.

I plugged the headphones and waited something like 30-60 seconds and the distortion would then appear.

I had Philips speakers and they didn't have this.

Other headphones? 

Other headphones? 

Don't have any other analogue apart from Samsung earbuds, and a G930 headset which is wireless and USB.

They sound completely fine on my GS3 phone, don't hear any distortion at all.

Basically it seems like they rattle/distort on high volumes whenever the bass kicks in.