Computer stutters when downloading

Go to solution Solved by DeepWolf413,

I bought an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter, and disabled the onboard lan controller. Works much better now, haven't had any issues since. Such a simple solution, I should have done it a long time ago.

EDIT: Oh and again, thanks to you all for having tried to help me solve this problem ?

Hi!

I have had this issue for a long time now, for at least a year. Don't know why it started or how.

When I download stuff, my computer starts to lag and the download speed is between 5 - 10 MB/s. However, when I restart my computer and then start downloading again, it works fine no issues and the download speed is back to normal at 35 - 40 MB/s.

It seems like after the computer has run for a while, the issues starts to appear, like there is some leak, or maybe there is something triggering the issue.

I use Windows 10 64bit (v1903 - Build 18362.418).

MB is MSI Z270 Gaming M5.

My network adapter is a Killer E2500. Now I've been reading that there has been a lot of issues with this adapter. I got my MB on the 05/03/2017 (MM/DD/YYYY). I didn't have these issues at first. I don't know why the issues appeared.

I have uninstalled the Killer Network stuff with the uninstaller, I have even reinstalled my PC multiple times, and I only use the driver only package from the MSI website.

My router is a Archer C7.

If you need more info, please tell ?

It could be an issue with the network stack; have you tried doing a clean install of Windows 10 and NOT installed the Killer drivers (i.e. let Windows use it's own drivers)?

On 11/10/2019 at 11:39 AM, SiliconT said:

It could be an issue with the network stack; have you tried doing a clean install of Windows 10 and NOT installed the Killer drivers (i.e. let Windows use it's own drivers)?

Yes, tried doing a clean install a few times without installing the Killer drivers.

It seems like Windows automatically installs the latest Killer driver 9.0.0.49 version :-)

Try this 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-10-hide-updates-or-driver-updates

2 hours ago, DeepWolf413 said:

It seems like Windows automatically installs 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/11/2019 at 4:30 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Alrighty, that made me think of something. I have tried multiple times to completely uninstall and remove the Killer networking driver by using their uninstaller, and by uninstalling it after via Device Manager. But every time I had done that it used the latest version of the driver anyway.

This time however I did the exact same steps, BUT also removed the .sys driver file that Windows used in System32/Drivers. Now the driver details of the network adapter in the Device Manager is showing an older version 9.0.0.42. That is the one windows installed after I completely removed everything + the file in System32/Drivers.

And because I've had to reboot my computer, it'll take a bit of time till the issue appears, if it does.

I'll report back tomorrow, or today if the issue appears early.

EDIT:

You can find the location for the .sys driver file by looking in the properties of your network adapter, then find the Driver tab, and then click the Driver Details button. It should show a list of paths to the drivers.

EDIT2:

Nope, still happens. And for the first time it seemed to mess it up so bad that the monitor kept losing signal for some reason.

Edited by DeepWolf413
Didn't work anyway.

Okay, so it seems like it has fixed it. Haven't had any issues today with stutters when downloading ?

Thanks everyone for helping ?

I'm gonna mark my latest post as solved, because it contains the steps I did. Just in case someone else has the same problem ?

Alright so I have unmarked the post. It still happens, and for the first time it seemed to mess it up so bad that the monitor kept losing signal for some reason. It kept gaining signal and losing signal. It has never happened before, and it only happened after I started downloading something after my PC has been on for a while. I had to restart my PC. I tried to continue the download after the restart and it went fine.

So it still happens, and it only happens after the PC has been on for a while by the looks of it. I have no clue how to fix this issue. So please if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it a lot ?

3 hours ago, DeepWolf413 said:

Bump ?

Umm. 

Did you try this yet?? 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-10-hide-updates-or-driver-updates

Y/N 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/18/2019 at 11:58 PM, DeepWolf413 said:

So it still happens, and it only happens after the PC has been on for a while by the looks of it. I have no clue how to fix this issue. So please if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it a lot

Try this. 

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1256

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/27/2019 at 9:20 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Alright, I have used it since yesterday. It looks like it fixes the stuttering, but I haven't been able to test it properly because the download speed also slows down overtime while the pc is on. I just need to figure out why the download speed slows down overtime, it's weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I have fixed the slow download speed by using the Killer Network Uninstaller, and then downloading and installing the whole suite of the killer network stuff instead of just the driver. And then disabled Advanced Stream Detect in the Killer Control Panel.

By doing that, my download speed went up to what it should be. The stuttering has reduced as well, but there are still some stuttering sometimes, not always like before however ?

I will keep an eye on it to see if it holds true for the whole next week. And if it still works at that time, I will mark it as solved ?

Thanks to everyone that has tried to help btw, really appreciate it ?

PS. If anyone has any ideas about what I can do to fix the stuttering, I would really appreciate it too ?

1 hour ago, DeepWolf413 said:

Looks like I have fixed the slow download speed by using the Killer Network Uninstaller, and then downloading and installing the whole suite of the killer network stuff instead of just the driver. And then disabled Advanced Stream Detect in the Killer Control Panel.

Glad to hear you got it mostly fixed. :)

1 hour ago, DeepWolf413 said:

If anyone has any ideas about what I can do to fix the stuttering,

Well I think that's probably just how it works, I'm not sure.  But I would suggest not buying hardware with meme names like "killer", "thicc" and similar in the future that maybe helps! ;)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I would suggest not buying hardware with meme names like "killer", "thicc" and similar in the future that maybe helps! ;)

I will definitely choose with caution next time when I'm looking for a new motherboard ?

When I bought my motherboard I only looked if it would fit in my case, and if my other components would be compatible ?

Okay I think I'm about to give up ? It's still the same, it is just sometimes it works fine, I have just been lucky those times I tested. But lately it is still doing the same thing.

I suppose I could buy a PCI-E ethernet network adapter and then plug it in a PCI-E slot. Any recommendations for an ethernet network adapter that supports win10? ?

I haven't given up yet. I just checked with LatencyMon, and there is a few things.

ndis.sys and dxgkrnl.sys is the worst performing ones.

Can't even run a speedtest without my pc stuttering.

Here is a pic of LatencyMon

317694449_Annotation2019-12-14180449.thumb.png.8f6ae81e7422a9fd2d3cb3d37bcad25a.png

Here is after speedtest

1066446856_Annotation2019-12-14181018.thumb.png.ee2e949b9d67ebef2cfeb8c12b2fce60.png

• 3 weeks later...

I bought an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter, and disabled the onboard lan controller. Works much better now, haven't had any issues since. Such a simple solution, I should have done it a long time ago.

EDIT: Oh and again, thanks to you all for having tried to help me solve this problem ?

Edited by DeepWolf413