RADEON RX5700 xt shuting down my pc, HELP!!!

Go to solution Solved by Mr.Dandy,

I just want to update everyone about what happened.

I did further testing with my EVGA N1 psu and I discovered 2 things. first is that is not even a 80 plus certificated psu, and second I used HWMonitor to see the 12v voltage and It was below 11.700v which explains why it was shutting down.

I bought the Corsair RM650x and It's working perfectly now. this to be a lesson to never be cheap out with PSU and always buy 80 plus certificated( with high end graphics cards).

I bought a Radeon RX5700 xt like 10 days ago, the first day I installed the card on my pc was working fine...for 4 min, the it shut down. temperatures were normal so I though probably is my 500w power supply so I bought a 750w but its still shuting down my PC. I updated my bios, installed windows again, i'm even considering buying a motherboard with pci-e 4.0 support but I have no Idea what else could be. I've seen other forums with the same problem but non of them have an answer, I really hope it's not a bad graphics card.

PC's specs:

-Asus b350m-a motherboard

-AMD Ryzen 1700

-XFX Radeon RX5700 XT

-Ddr4 Kingston Hyperx Fury 8gb 2400

-EVGA N1 750w power supply.

19 minutes ago, Spakes said:

Did you put connectors all the way into GPU and other parts?

Yes, also update. now my computer is shuting down instantly when I open steam vr o any game...I want to die

Look at event viewer and see what is causing critical errors. Also make sure you don't have a damaged power cable or the EPS/24-pin connectors aren't loose

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Look at event viewer and see what is causing critical errors. Also make sure you don't have a damaged power cable or the EPS/24-pin connectors aren't loose

My power supply is brand new and it's seems good, I used my old graphics card just in case and it's ok. In wattman shows that the moment I open steamVR energy consumption jumps to 170W and temps jumps from 30 to 67°c in 3 sec. Then it turns off.

15 minutes ago, Spakes said:

Okay... How does Furmark show temp curve? And what about fan speeds?

I just finnished 4 benchmarks of Furmark. I'm still surpriced that finished somehow... the temp curve goes from 30°c to 70°c in like a second, then the rest of the benchmark goes normal and reaches a max temp of 87°c, the fan speed is 2500rpm but I tried to crank the speed to 8000rpm all the time during a game but it didn't make any diference, my pc still shut down.

Just now, Spakes said:

Okay, seems like power delivery problem...

dude I just notice that I run a benchmark that makes a 98% use of the gpu and my pc didn't shutdown, I even run the 4k one and nothing happened, but the moment I open a game it shutdowns. wtf is this!!!!

9 minutes ago, Mr.Dandy said:

dude I just notice that I run a benchmark that makes a 98% use of the gpu and my pc didn't shutdown, I even run the 4k one and nothing happened, but the moment I open a game it shutdowns. wtf is this!!!!

After the 7th benchmark it did shutdown.

Maybe your PSU can't handle the load transition and triggered some safety mechanism to shutdown the PSU. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

5 hours ago, Mr.Dandy said:

After the 7th benchmark it did shutdown.

If you're using the EVGA G3 or any other power supply known for transient power issuesz that would be the root cause. What model PSUs did you use?

8 hours ago, 5x5 said:

If you're using the EVGA G3 or any other power supply known for transient power issuesz that would be the root cause. What model PSUs did you use?

I'm using the EVGA N1 59a 750w.

48 minutes ago, Mr.Dandy said:

I'm using the EVGA N1 59a 750w.

Oh, that's what I afraid. EVGA N1. Return it while you can. Get a Corsair RM 550. 550w is plenty for your system.

Always, when it comes to power supply, you need quality over wattage.

19 minutes ago, Deli said:

Oh, that's what I afraid. EVGA N1.

Always, when it comes to power supply, you need quality over wattage.

Ok, I Guess i'm buying a Corsair psu now...

Just now, Mr.Dandy said:

Ok, I Guess i'm buying a Corsair psu now...

Got a Corsair RM 550. You don't need ultra high end AX or HX series.

58 minutes ago, Deli said:

Got a Corsair RM 550. You don't need ultra high end AX or HX series.

Thanks for the advice!

I did further testing with my EVGA N1 psu and I discovered 2 things. first is that is not even a 80 plus certificated psu, and second I used HWMonitor to see the 12v voltage and It was below 11.700v which explains why it was shutting down.

I bought the Corsair RM650x and It's working perfectly now. this to be a lesson to never be cheap out with PSU and always buy 80 plus certificated( with high end graphics cards).

7 minutes ago, Mr.Dandy said:

80+ itself doesn't mean too much. It only indicates efficiency. A PSU can use crappy components while still achieves 80+ Gold. The only way is to read reviews that actually stress tests the PSUs and inspect the quality of the components inside.

Glad you have the problem fixed. Enjoy gaming.