Help first build

marks73345

So far i'm planning on building a pc , but i have no knowledge of motherboards and would like some help or recommendations.

Budget- Around $650 US less would be fine as well 

So far i'm planning on using 

Cpu- i5 9400f

Cpu cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212

Motherboardthought about using a Asus PRIME Z390-A, but would be open to any recommendations 

Memory- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 )

Storage- 240 GB SSD paired with a 1 TB HDD

Video Card- EVGA GTX 970 4GB SSC , already have this but planning on upgrading to a 1080ti in the future 

Aim- medium Gaming some AAA games but mostly light games such as modded minecraft and running a server in the back, csgo , fortnite, overwatch 

Monitors2 1080p monitors at 144hz

Peripherals- Don't need any at the moment

Why am i upgrading- Because as far as i know my system is about 10 years old (i7- 930) and its starting to struggle especially when im playing RLcraft, running a server and have other things running in the back 

21 minutes ago, marks73345 said:

Around $650 US

This leaves a lot of room in the budget, gives you a lot room for a different case of your choice, or for higher speed ram or more SSD space.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Edit(mostly)disregard my comment because I don't read it seems

IDKmaybe I'm weird but I've always been a opponent of buying a really old workstation with a high 

12 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

This leaves a lot of room in the budget, gives you a lot room for a different case of your choice, or for higher speed ram or more SSD space.

You made a list with no gpu, given that's a ryzen non Apu that makes the system a non starter for a new PC builder with no parts to pull from, 

Anyways I've always been a proponent of buying a really old xeon workstations circa 2010 to 2013 since they cost less then 150 most of the time and contain everything you need except for a GPU and throwing in the most expensive GPU you can fit, it's just better bang for the buck, and when you upgrade later you can just toss the whole system, 

For example a Dell t1500 is around 100-1500 for a 6core/12thread Xeon at 3.5ghz 24GBs of ram a 550 watt PSU and that leaves 500$ for the gpu and storage, and while I don't use it anymore mine with a 1070 gets well over 110 fps in overwatch 1080p max settings at 1080p and a solid 60+ in anything I've tried normally around 80-90, 80ish avg in battlefield 1 if that's a better benchmark

5 minutes ago, hoodyracoon said:

You made a list with no gpu

12 hours ago, marks73345 said:

Video Card- EVGA GTX 970 4GB SSC , already have this

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Duh, didn't read, my point stands either way but(since I didn't read) it make no sense for him since he has a x58 board anyhow, but I would recommend upgrading to a 6core Xeon then for about 30-40$ and overclocking it to 4-4.5ghz and buying a better GPU

The 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads should help him run servers on the backend and is more efficient money wise since he can get more performance today if he just upgrades the GPU and swaps the CPU, and goes all in on the rest of the system when he gets the money

5 minutes ago, hoodyracoon said:

Duh, didn't read, my point stands either way but(since I didn't read) it make no sense for him since he has a x58 board anyhow, but I would recommend upgrading to a 6core Xeon then for about 30-40$ and overclocking it to 4-4.5ghz and buying a better GPU

The 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads should help him run servers on the backend and is more efficient money wise since he can get more performance today if he just upgrades the GPU and swaps the CPU, and goes all in on the rest of the system when he gets the money

I recommended Ryzen because OP specifically mentioned titles where it was difficult to get high refresh rates and the CPU was identified as the culprit. A 6 core xeon would be neat for 60 fps gaming across the board, but for pushing more frames I believe X58 isn't as up to the task, while the 970 that OP is currently using still gets the job done for many games on medium.

Primary PC:

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I recommended Ryzen because OP specifically mentioned titles where it was difficult to get high refresh rates and the CPU was identified as the culprit. A 6 core xeon would be neat for 60 fps gaming across the board, but for pushing more frames I believe X58 isn't as up to the task, while the 970 that OP is currently using still gets the job done for many games on medium.

It's not up for 144hrz agreed, still solidly able to do 75hrz in most games and 100+ hrz in anything slightly lighter,  as far as his aim it's overwatch, fortnight and csgo and all those I've had experience with being over 100 fps, csgo and fortnite being 150+

Either way he has a 970 he can't run a 144hrz display anywaysas such the gpu is the bigger issue, minus his server performance getting better(something a slight overclock and a 30$ used CPU will fix for cheaper) it won't increase fps at all to upgrade the motherboard and cpu

So it make more sense to just upgrade his existing CPU IMHO and put his money towards a way better gpu

9 minutes ago, hoodyracoon said:

Either way he has a 970 he can't run a 144hrz display anywaysas such the gpu is the bigger issue

I don't understand this line of reasoning. A GTX 970 is perfectly capable of running a 144Hz display.

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I don't understand this line of reasoning. A GTX 970 is perfectly capable of running a 144Hz display.

Well yes as can a GTX 250, depends on what your playing and the settings, new AAA games wouldn't run a max settings at 144hrz on a 970, is max settings a requirement? That is a different discussion I guess depends on the person and what they want, I was starting my option to best use his money and existing hardware, his issue is specifically running a server while playing a game, I find the cheapest option to fix his issue is just to swap the CPU out, that will certainly fix the server issue and all my fps reading were at stock cpu speeds if he overclocks I'm near certain he can get 144 fps in almost all games on that platform

29 minutes ago, hoodyracoon said:

Update with link to overclocked 1366 Xeon benchmark video, yes it can get 144hrz in most games, 

Well yes as can a GTX 250, depends on what your playing and the settings, new AAA games wouldn't run a max settings at 144hrz on a 970, is max settings a requirement? That is a different discussion I guess depends on the person and what they want, I was starting my option to best use his money and existing hardware, his issue is specifically running a server while playing a game, I find the cheapest option to fix his issue is just to swap the CPU out, that will certainly fix the server issue and all my fps reading were at stock cpu speeds if he overclocks I'm near certain he can get 144 fps in almost all games on that platform