Mutli GPU FPS Issues

Hi all...

I have a 1080ti & a RX 580 in my rig AMD for my Hackintosh but when I am in Windows I want to use my RX580 to play YouTube videos and stream my 3 CCTV cameras on my two seperate monitors and my 1080ti for when I want to play games, however I have noticed that when playing games my FPS is hurt and I am using a 120hz 1440p ultrawide and not hitting 120fps. I have tried settings on low and don't even get 120fps. Could it be my CPU I have a Ryzen 5 1600? I can see in task manager that both GPUs are working.

thanks

Windows renders ALL displays on the primary GPU then copies the image to the secondary GPU.  In effect, it just streams the other displays to the RX 580 for display.

The last MS OS that actually used multiple GPUs for the desktop was XP.  The change was made because of things like video decoding and GPU accelerated apps being broken between displays.

19 minutes ago, louij2 said:

I can see in task manager that both GPUs are working.

That's actually the problem, you'll likely want to disable the 580 when gaming.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Windows renders ALL displays on the primary GPU then copies the image to the secondary GPU.  In effect, it just streams the other displays to the RX 580 for display.

The last MS OS that actually used multiple GPUs for the desktop was XP.  The change was made because of things like video decoding and GPU accelerated apps being broken between displays.

That's crap... makes more sense to render on the GPU that the display is plugged into to me.

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That's actually the problem, you'll likely want to disable the 580 when gaming.

How do I watch videos on YouTube then if the GPU my monitors plugged into is disabled?

1 hour ago, louij2 said:

That's crap... makes more sense to render on the GPU that the display is plugged into to me.

Things like accelerated video decode would result in black or green areas instead of video content being displayed when moving from one GPU to the other.  Web browsers at this point would also not work either, because they are so heavily GPU accelerated.

10 hours ago, louij2 said:

How do I watch videos on YouTube then if the GPU my monitors plugged into is disabled?

Do you watch videos WHILE playing?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Okay so just checked temps cos last time I checked they where like 40c but now i'm getting over 100 when I overclock so I think I need new thermal paste same stuff since I got the CPU

This is a little bit on the pricey side but you could try to buy a new gpu and replace the 580. (i don't know the most about tech but it could work)

Okay so I might have sorted my issue a bit. Ram was not set to 3200mhz, uneven mounting pressure on cpu caused high temps randomly and overclocked to 3.8ghz gonna give that a go then tighten up timings etc