Getting started with Windows 10

ChiefBigFeather

Dear Community,

I came here after watching the "10 ways Windows is just better" video promoted the support on these forums. My current operating system is still Windows 7, but I'd like to switch to 10 for dx12 and hdr support in the near future. To be able to do that, I got a few questions:

1. Is it possible to disable windows talking to microsoft? It would be best if there was something like Se7en Lite to gut the functionality from the OS entirely. Is there a group who did this and verified it's working by sniffing the network?

2. Is it possible to disable windows update? Please see the spoiler before you start a debate about this.

Spoiler

Please don't start a debate about this unless you can show reliable data of numbers of bugs due to update vs instances of malware under responsible user behavior. If you can, I'd be happy to be educated. Without it, the debate is just about opinion and really unproductive. I lost way more windows installs due to windows updates then malware.

3. Under windows 7 it is possible to shift the windows firewall into group policy, disabling access for programs. This made the windows 7 firewall actually quite secure. Can I do the same in windows 10?

4. Is it possible to disable uac and the likes (preferably without disabling mse)?

5. Is it possibe to disable the windows search indexer?

I'm not sure I'm remembering all the annoying things needed to be changed in windows 7 to make it perfect. There are a lot of little registry tweaks in my postinstall scripts and it's been a long time since they where set up.

Thanks in advance!

How about you use Linux? Imo the only reason to use Windows nowadays is if you have SUPER weird hardware (like Clovertrail or whatever, but those don't even support latest W10) or if you need something like Adobe suite but for some reason can't use any other alternative no matter how similar it is.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

31 minutes ago, ChiefBigFeather said:

1. Is it possible to disable windows talking to microsoft? It would be best if there was something like Se7en Lite to gut the functionality from the OS entirely. Is there a group who did this and verified it's working by sniffing the network?

Yes but that's a pain in the ass and need to be redone after every update.

32 minutes ago, ChiefBigFeather said:

Yes,It's quiet easy to do by disabling the Windows Update service,and when you want to update you just enable it back.

34 minutes ago, ChiefBigFeather said:

3. Under windows 7 it is possible to shift the windows firewall into group policy, disabling access for programs. This made the windows 7 firewall actually quite secure. Can I do the same in windows 10?

Windows 10's firewall is based on Windows 7 firewall,should be the same in that regard.

37 minutes ago, ChiefBigFeather said:

5. Is it possibe to disable the windows search indexer?

I think you can by disabling the service responsible for it.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

For me windows 10 worth only if you have middle - high end  DIRECTX 12 hardware, because you get raytracing with directx 12 with windows 10 only.

windows 8.1 and 7 does not support raytracing.

if you have an HD 6000 or and nvidia gtx 200 or less windows 10 does not worth.

22 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

How about you use Linux? Imo the only reason to use Windows nowadays is if you have SUPER weird hardware (like Clovertrail or whatever, but those don't even support latest W10) or if you need something like Adobe suite but for some reason can't use any other alternative no matter how similar it is.

Or if you want an OS that isn't a hassle to use. Don't get me wrong, I like Linux but you have to be delusional if you don't think that Windows is superior in some use cases.

1 hour ago, NeuesTestament said:

Or if you want an OS that isn't a hassle to use. Don't get me wrong, I like Linux but you have to be delusional if you don't think that Windows is superior in some use cases.

In *some* use cases. I don't think people realize how damn good Linux has gotten, especially in terms of "just works out of the box/installer" or whatever.

I mean, it's totally free; there's no point to not at least try it.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

In *some* use cases. I don't think people realize how damn good Linux has gotten, especially in terms of "just works out of the box/installer" or whatever.

I mean, it's totally free; there's no point to not at least try it.

It has gotten better, but the end user experience still is not great. Installing software can be more of a hassle and while there are a lot of tools avaible to aid the end user they aren't always found easily.

9 minutes ago, NeuesTestament said:

It has gotten better, but the end user experience still is not great. Installing software can be more of a hassle and while there are a lot of tools avaible to aid the end user they aren't always found easily.

How is it more of a hassle? It's *easier* on Linux...just search for the app or whatever in your package manager, click install, type in your password, and wait for it to install. That's it.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈