Lowest TDP/low power GPU for Server (24bit 60Hz 1080p or optional 4k/UHD)

HeartOfGermany

As the title suggests. I am searching for the lowest power GPU for just basic computer usage. It is only required for a Linux host and basic desktop usage. If it can somehow play youtube video (software acceleration with cpu should work, right?), I would be happy.

- Full HD 1080 required

- 4k/UHD would be nice, 1440p also a good solution

- 60Hz minimum

- 24bit color minimum

I somehow am unable to find good data about power usage in general, even worse seraching for a comparision of this kind...

I finally want to start my highly customized Linux/Windows PC now and want to safe every W possible...

Also, is it a good Idea to just use a basic 10$ video card? I mean, most cards go beyond 20-30W TDP alone. All the power wasted sucks. I know it is only at full load - but what about idle power consumption? I thought of a Sunix VGA - they do not even support 1080p at full color... any alternatives?

2 minutes ago, HeartOfGermany said:

- Full HD 1080 required

- 4k/UHD would be nice, 1440p also a good solution

- 60Hz minimum

- 24bit color minimum

If you want 4k/UHD then the gt1030.

Otherwise maybe gt710.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Wow nice, the 710 looks promising. For HDMI it actually supports 4k resolution. If this is full color however needs to be seen. DX12 support API wise is nice - well, not usefull under linux anyway. 19W TDP max is great. I might be able to mod the GPU for lower power usage still. Beefier capacitors and slightly lower voltage should be easy - if software whise there is no other option. Since it is 700 generation, it propably uses not much power anyway. I might measure it with a riser cable and shunt resistor. I am planning on heavy PCIe modifications or at least experiments anyway. (I saw a GPU at my work with just the basics. I never thought, it runs without JTAG and also without SMBus, but both connections actually where not wired at all. Also half the ground pins where missing on the signal paths. It seems, PCIe only requires CLK, VCC, GND, Tx+/- and Rx+/-. That is awesome - I might get into some work with that. Possibly try to just mechanically split 1 x16 to multiple different combinations without any switch IC. That, if it works, opens sooooo many opportunities. There are CLK-buffer ICs on the market for cheap, that would solve the impedance matching.

I WAS working on a PCIE to multiple USB3, USB2, Sata 3, 7.1 expansion card, that has an INTEGRATED high power amplifier. Think about that for a sec! All with 1 slot and no switch. If this works.... WOW! Sadly, Asmedia and especially other manufacturers do not sell GEN 3 Switch ICs on the free market - I was lucky to find Gen2 x2 switches. Well, not sooo usefull - only 1GB/s is not worth it, I thought. But directly connecting to ALL the nice, delicious lanes would be incredible. If this works I might create a 10pcs prototype and sell it to interrested people.

Let's see, what the future brings - the future might be amazing. ;)

And no: This is just PC love - it absolutely makes no sense for private use at all, ever! :D

Sorry for that text. Short form:

710 is good for my use. Thank you! You are a very kind and helpful person. Have a nice day!