Will a Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 be enough for i7 9700k?

Cygi

Welcome everyone,

Im planning to upgrade from 7700k to 9700k. It will be delidded and running at 5.1 GHz. What temps should I expect? Or maybe I need to upgrade to Dark Rock 4 pro?

Thank you all for help ❤️ 

What board do you have? 

For that kind of oC I’d go DRP4 or noctua NHD15 or that U12A if budget permits. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

What board are you getting? Make sure it's good cause a 5.1-5.2GHz OC is going to need proper power delivery and VRM cooling

29 minutes ago, Cygi said:

It will be delidded and running at 5.1 GHz.

are you delidding or is it pre-delidded? because the solder makes it pretty "eh" to delidd. aswell as the performance increast being smaller, you would also need to lap the die to get all the performance gains. 

i would suggest getting an 8700k and delidding that. or just get an 3700x over the 9700k. get hyperthreading and not care about delidding. 

14 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

dont forget to swap the motherboard. 

My first thought too. He’s better if in that case going 3600 / 3700x + a B450 tomahawk max or x570 aurus elite / other similar 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

are you delidding or is it pre-delidded? because the solder makes it pretty "eh" to delidd. aswell as the performance increast being smaller, you would also need to lap the die to get all the performance gains. 

i would suggest getting an 8700k and delidding that. or just get an 3700x over the 9700k. get hyperthreading and not care about delidding. 

It will be already delidded. I’ll buy sth like Gigabyte Z390. But that’s not the point, all I want to know is what temps would I get with dr3 and if should I upgrade it to DRP4

4 minutes ago, Cygi said:

I’ll buy sth like Gigabyte Z390

thats not a board. 

4 minutes ago, Cygi said:

But that’s not the point, all I want to know is what temps would I get with dr3 and if should I upgrade it to DRP4

temps will probably be quite toasty, but probably managable. 

21 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

thats not a board. 

temps will probably be quite toasty, but probably managable. 

Sorry I meant Gigabyte z390 Gaming X. Is there anything better than the DRP4 that doesn’t sound like a jet engine?

1 minute ago, Cygi said:

s there anything better than the DRP4 that doesn’t sound like a jet engine?

a DRP4 with 3 fans? its kinda at the top regarding aircoolers. hard to get any better unless Noctua does a large nh-u12A

41 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

a DRP4 with 3 fans? its kinda at the top regarding aircoolers. hard to get any better unless Noctua does a large nh-u12A

Doesn’t DRP4 have 2 fans? ?

4 hours ago, Cygi said:

Doesn’t DRP4 have 2 fans? ?

Indeed it does. Which makes adding a third fan better i guess. 

Im just saying that in aircooling, there not much better you can get.

8 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

The NH-D15 is already a bit better. It doesn't get much better when it comes to quiet air coolers though since the next step up is just higher rpm fans. 

If you have a good chip and good case airflow, the DR3 may be enough. You can see a similar example here with the 9700k at 5ghz with the DR4: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/xNFtt6

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

42 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-D15 is already a bit better. It doesn't get much better when it comes to quiet air coolers though since the next step up is just higher rpm fans. 

If you have a good chip and good case airflow, the DR3 may be enough. You can see a similar example here with the 9700k at 5ghz with the DR4: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/xNFtt6

Doesnt the nh-d15 have some slight top PCIe issues? Or does the same apply to the drp4?

18 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Doesnt the nh-d15 have some slight top PCIe issues? Or does the same apply to the drp4?

Good point. According to Noctua's mainboard compatibility page, it blocks the top pcie x16 slot for the Z390 Aorus Xtreme Waterforce, Z390 Designare, and Z390 M GAMING. The Z390 Aorus Xtreme Waterforce is meant to be liquid cooled. For the other two boards, the NH-D15S is a great alternative. 

Other Gigabyte Z390 boards are fine. https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/comp#socket_3297_manuf_32

The DRP4 doesn't have same issue with these boards. https://www.bequiet.com/en/motherboardcheck

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just to comment and add to WoodenMarker's suggestions

I have a Gigabyte Z390 Master and a NH-D15S, works great and no clearance issues. Previously I had a NH-U12A but wasn't thrilled with the perf for the $20 premium. Exchanged it for the D15S and imo it has a better sound profile and I noticed slightly better temps.

I recently ditched a custom loop and went back to air and I gotta say the D15/D15S is a really good product and highly recommended.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

8 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

yes

Well thanks lmao. What temps should I expect?

1 minute ago, Cygi said:

Well thanks lmao. What temps should I expect?

Depends on your ambient temperatures etc., but you should be expecting around 80ish degrees celcius

2 hours ago, _d0nut said:

Depends on your ambient temperatures etc., but you should be expecting around 80ish degrees celcius

Alright thanks man