MacBook pro

Pauleft

BEWARE THE MACBOOK PRO HAS BEEN BANNED FROM TAKING ON FLIGHTS DUE TO THE BATTERY BLOWING UP (ALLEGEDLY)

it's is a good choice if you don't go on flights due to the fact that it's $400 off. But I would not recommend it because you never know where your life is going to take you. 

Link: Amazon

No 13" MacBook Pros were recalled for battery issues to my knowledge, only the 15" from the previous generation. So you're fine with this unit unless you're flying on one of the few airlines that blanket banned all MacBooks.

25 minutes ago, FriedEngineer said:

No 13" MacBook Pros were recalled for battery issues to my knowledge, only the 15" from the previous generation. So you're fine with this unit unless you're flying on one of the few airlines that blanket banned all MacBooks.

Well, generally things blowing up on planes is frowned upon, so this is understandable.

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

7 hours ago, FriedEngineer said:

No they are all banned you are not allowed to bring a Mac book pro on a plane

They all got federal banned in the United States and by every other airline company. It's apples fault for putting a faulty battery that can blow up when heating in a Mac book 

1 hour ago, Pauleft said:

They all got federal banned in the United States and by every other airline company. It's apples fault for putting a faulty battery that can blow up when heating in a Mac book 

Really? I thought most airlines only banned the faulty ones (either by serial or by year & model).

4 minutes ago, FriedEngineer said:

Really? I thought most airlines only banned the faulty ones (either by serial or by year & model).

No what it looks like from people quoting it they just take all of them doesn't matter. Maybe in some cases yes it's done properly but no matter what I would not buy a product that is under any type of danger like this. If you buy a car you expect to drive it not get stopped and it get taken away instantly. If you know what I mean.

10 hours ago, FriedEngineer said:

TSA officers still take away any MacBook pro even the 13 inch or the 15 inch. The thing is still in place so they won't risk and allow you to take it past security essentially.

Following up there are people still saying they get kicked off for having one. 

2 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

TSA officers still take away any MacBook pro even the 13 inch or the 15 inch. The thing is still in place so they won't risk and allow you to take it past security essentially.

Following up there are people still saying they get kicked off for having one. 

Where are you seeing all this? I’ve been able to find a few airlines that banned all 15” models regardless of year or if it’s affected by the recall but I haven’t found any airlines that aren’t letting any MacBook Pros on at all nor TSA officers taking ones that weren’t recalled.

1 hour ago, FriedEngineer said:

Where are you seeing all this? I’ve been able to find a few airlines that banned all 15” models regardless of year or if it’s affected by the recall but I haven’t found any airlines that aren’t letting any MacBook Pros on at all nor TSA officers taking ones that weren’t recalled.

It should be one of the first headlines the headline states that most of the major airline companies in the us have banned the MacBook pro

13 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

It should be one of the first headlines the headline states that most of the major airline companies in the us have banned the MacBook pro

When I google "macbook pro flight ban" the articles I'm seeing (in order) are:

They all say that the FAA banned the models that were affected by the recall (which are only a few of the 15" models from Sept. 2015 to Feb 2017) and a few airlines (none in the US from what I can tell) went a bit further and said all 15" models. No mention of issues with any 13" models.

3 minutes ago, FriedEngineer said:

When I google "macbook pro flight ban" the articles I'm seeing (in order) are:

They all say that the FAA banned the models that were affected by the recall (which are only a few of the 15" models from Sept. 2015 to Feb 2017) and a few airlines (none in the US from what I can tell) went a bit further and said all 15" models. No mention of issues with any 13" models.

^ I got the same Business Insider article, didn't look around much more. From what I read MacBook Pros aren't even "allegedly" blowing up, this isn't a Note 7 situation where devices have actually caught fire. Apple just said they might expand and because of that could possibly catch fire, thus they're recalling them so that won't happen in the first place. Didn't see any headlines on a MBP actually lighting on fire Note 7 style. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

^ I got the same Business Insider article, didn't look around much more. From what I read MacBook Pros aren't even "allegedly" blowing up, this isn't a Note 7 situation where devices have actually caught fire. Apple just said they might expand and because of that could possibly catch fire, thus they're recalling them so that won't happen in the first place. Didn't see any headlines on a MBP actually lighting on fire Note 7 style. 

Well besides the point don't buy a product if you are not 100% sure about it. End of story 

1 minute ago, Pauleft said:

Well besides the point don't buy a product if you are not 100% sure about it. End of story 

You can be 100% sure the MacBook Pros not under recall aren't at risk of exploding batteries under usual laptop use, otherwise they'd have recalled those. If you do get a model that's effected, then you turn it in to Apple and they fix it, then you're 100% sure that's not catching on fire either. 

Same with (back to it again, lol) the Note 7. Samsung recalled all of them and re-relased some with a tweaked battery so those ones are 100% sure to not be exploding under normal phone use. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 hours ago, Pauleft said:

No they are all banned you are not allowed to bring a Mac book pro on a plane

Oh is that how they're doing it?  Because at first I had heard they were banning the specific model with the issue, and even then if you brought paperwork with you to prove yours had been fixed it would have been allowed, and Louis Rossmann brought up a good point - how the hell are they going to verify all this reliably and easily?  Physically, the problem machines look identical to several other models without the issue, and who is gonna bring repair paperwork lol.  I guess the answer is they won't go through all that at all and they're all blocked lol

Although with that said, that's a very popular line of machines, and I have to think if this was genuinely the case surely it would be more well-known by now?  There would be thousands of people a day getting caught out by this unexpectedly and having to change their plans which would make massive waves in the news.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh is that how they're doing it?  Because at first I had heard they were banning the specific model with the issue, and even then if you brought paperwork with you to prove yours had been fixed it would have been allowed, and Louis Rossmann brought up a good point - how the hell are they going to verify all this reliably and easily?  Physically, the problem machines look identical to several other models without the issue, and who is gonna bring repair paperwork lol.  I guess the answer is they won't go through all that at all and they're all blocked lol

Although with that said, that's a very popular line of machines, and I have to think if this was genuinely the case surely it would be more well-known by now?  There would be thousands of people a day getting caught out by this unexpectedly and having to change their plans which would make massive waves in the news.

From everything I've found, they did only ban specific units. A few airlines went a bit further but most aren't even all 15" let alone all MacBook Pros.

2 minutes ago, FriedEngineer said:

From everything I've found, they did only ban specific units. A few airlines went a bit further but most aren't even all 15" let alone all MacBook Pros.

Yeah, though I know their checks need to be fast and they're not necessarily skilled people, I would think they should be able to easily and reliably identify a different physical size of machine so that would make sense since the recall was only for the 15" correct?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.