Replacing all case fans. Ideas?

Thready

I'm replacing all my case fans after 3 years. I want to do this before any start to have problems. They were the cheap preinstalled fans and they're clear plastic so I want to upgrade to some nice ones and I'm hoping to spend less than $50. Case fan white noise doesn't bother me as long as it's reasonable. 

I need 4 120mm fans. 2 front intake and 2 top exhaust. My side and back fans are fine.

Also, I have 2 splitters and I was hoping to couple the 2 front for 1 header and the 2 top for the other header. What's your experience with splitters? Do I need 4 pin PWM fans for this?

Thanks guys.

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

I would give a pretty strong recommendation for the Fractal Design Venturi fans. They would fit your budget, and are quite nice for the price. These are PWM, and should work just fine with your splitters (I use splitters on mine). I have usually seen them on sale for around $13.

https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Venturi-PWM-Computer/dp/B00W1KY3IW/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=venturi+fans+120mm&qid=1568853479&s=gateway&sr=8-8

EDIT: Wrong link included prior.

The dynamic fans are also good, but are a little louder. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Cooling-Black-FD-FAN-DYN-X2-GP12-BK/dp/B01LZFMPPN/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=venturi+fans+120mm&qid=1568853479&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Just now, TheBaconGuy said:

I would give a pretty strong recommendation for the Fractal Design Venturi fans. They would fit your budget, and are quite nice for the price. These are PWM, and should work just fine with your splitters (I use splitters on mine). 

https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Cooling-Black-FD-FAN-DYN-X2-GP12-BK/dp/B01LZFMPPN/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=venturi+fans+120mm&qid=1568853287&s=gateway&sr=8-2 

Awesome man. This is what I'm looking for. Btw are all splitters the same? I bought mine for $1.50 each on Ebay. The seller was quite reputable too.

Just now, Mooshi said:

4 premium fans going to cost more than $50. That budget gets you two good Noctuas.

I mean they don't have to be the best. I'm thinking about $10-12 each 

2 minutes ago, Thready said:

I mean they don't have to be the best. I'm thinking about $10-12 each 

Important thing is its quiete and efficient and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

4 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Important thing is its quiete and efficient and what not.

Yeah true. But white noise doesn't bother me. I buy 6 and put them on low and it works fine

4 hours ago, Thready said:

Btw are all splitters the same?

If you're referring to plain fan splitters that don't require auxiliary power, just about any will do. 

What are your specs?

Where are you shopping / located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

17 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're referring to plain fan splitters that don't require auxiliary power, just about any will do. 

What are your specs?

Where are you shopping / located?

I bought this from eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352762049719

I live about 20 minutes from Microcenter and I'm planning on going there. I'm going to do this when I get my x470 MB because the guy at Microcenter said they updated their X470 BIOSes. Then I'm probably getting a 3600. I'm looking to spend maybe $10-15 per fan. They have to be 120mm.

24 minutes ago, Thready said:

I'm looking to spend maybe $10-15 per fan. They have to be 120mm.

What case and graphics card are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

What case and graphics card are you using?

I have a pretty open Rosewill case and I use a Vega 56 blower. I don't mind noise. I just want low dust because I only open my PC once or twice a year. And I'd like to keep temps a little low, but my basement is cool and it's next to a concrete wall.

4 minutes ago, Thready said:

I have a pretty open Rosewill case and I use a Vega 56 blower. I don't mind noise. I just want low dust because I only open my PC once or twice a year. And I'd like to keep temps a little low, but my basement is cool and it's next to a concrete wall.

Can you be a little more specific? Do you know the model name of the case?

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you be a little more specific? Do you know the model name of the case?

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811147107?Item=N82E16811147107

It's the perfect case because it has room for all my storage and 4 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports on front. 

7 minutes ago, Thready said:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811147107?Item=N82E16811147107

It's the perfect case because it has room for all my storage and 4 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports on front. 

Are you running many storage drives that require active cooling? If not, top / bottom intake and rear exhaust may be better. The front is pretty restrictive with the hdd cages and the front fans aren't as effective for cooling the graphics card and cpu.

47 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you running many storage drives that require active cooling? If not, top / bottom intake and rear exhaust may be better. The front is pretty restrictive with the hdd cages and the front fans aren't as effective for cooling the graphics card and cpu.

I use all the storage bays but I'm getting good temps now as it is even without a side intake. 

What about front, side, and back intake and top exhaust? I hate to make the top intake because I hear bad things about top being intake. I'd like to keep positive pressure for dust. 

Just now, Thready said:

I use all the storage bays but I'm getting good temps now as it is even without a side intake. 

What about front, side, and back intake and top exhaust? I hate to make the top intake because I hear bad things about top being intake. I'd like to keep positive pressure for dust. 

If you're using all of the storage bays, then front intake isn't a bad idea for cooling the drives. 

Positive pressure helps prevent unfiltered air from seeping in which can reduce dust accumulation but only if the intakes are filtered. Unless you get aftermarket filters, don't use the rear or side panel as intakes if you want less dust. 

I'd go with a pair of NF-P12's for front intake and another for rear exhaust: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VNBTwP/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm-708-cfm-120mm-fan-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm

What bad things do you hear about top intake?

44 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're using all of the storage bays, then front intake isn't a bad idea for cooling the drives. 

Positive pressure helps prevent unfiltered air from seeping in which can reduce dust accumulation but only if the intakes are filtered. Unless you get aftermarket filters, don't use the rear or side panel as intakes if you want less dust. 

I'd go with a pair of NF-P12's for front intake and another for rear exhaust: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VNBTwP/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm-708-cfm-120mm-fan-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm

What bad things do you hear about top intake?

Cool. Thanks. I'm still learning about how air works lol and I thought I had it down but I don't.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh