How do I stop the e-mail notifications that I signed in the forum?

TheNamelessOne

Not exactly sure if this is the correct section to post this, but just like the title says, how do I stop the e-mail notifications that I logged on the forum?

Stop using VPN/incognito for forums. Those are security feature. As explained here

Or just make email filtering rule.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Stop using VPN/incognito for forums. Those are security feature. As explained here

Or just make email filtering rule.

Actually I'm not using a VPN or incognito.

2 hours ago, TheNamelessOne said:

Well, something in your configuration is changing in order for that to pop up. It works same way as with FB, Google etc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, TheNamelessOne said:

You get the email when you log in to a new browser, or have cleared your cookies since you last logged in. That means that if you're using incognito/private browsing, or you have your browser set to clear your cookies every time you close it, then you will get emails regularly. However, the same is true of a number of other sites too (Google does this for example).

I am monitoring feedback to see whether I need make it customisable, but that is a feature suggestion and not a bug. So far, very few people have commented on it - regularly clearing your cookies is not common.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

I am monitoring feedback to see whether I need make it customisable

It would be a nice option for those of us that clear our cookies often. 

Not an issue for me anymore though, as mentioned in one of the other threads about this I already set up a filtering rule.

I've been thinking about this some more, and I'd suggest setting the system up to only send a mail if the forum doesn't find a cookie AND the login happens from an IP address that the user hasn't used before.  That way we only get notified if something weird happens. 

I have also noticed this "issue". Could it be related to the "do not track" feature of my browser (which is Vivaldi)? I am using the same browser settings with other sites like google and fb but don't get any such emails from them.

I will probably set up a filter rule to avoid getting those mails in the future.

17 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

I have also noticed this "issue". Could it be related to the "do not track" feature of my browser (which is Vivaldi)? I am using the same browser settings with other sites like google and fb but don't get any such emails from them.

I will probably set up a filter rule to avoid getting those mails in the future.

DNT shouldn't affect whether you are logged out or emailed, although it's possible that Vivaldi bundles that setting with one that clears your cookies when you close and reopen your browser. If you are being logged out regularly, your cookies are being cleared by some mechanism.

43 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

It would be a nice option for those of us that clear our cookies often. 

Not an issue for me anymore though, as mentioned in one of the other threads about this I already set up a filtering rule.

I've been thinking about this some more, and I'd suggest setting the system up to only send a mail if the forum doesn't find a cookie AND the login happens from an IP address that the user hasn't used before.  That way we only get notified if something weird happens. 

Checking the IP would be a reasonable solution, and we do currently log IPs when you log in (to provide the location info in the "Recently used devices" page in your account settings). I would need to make sure that they are stored in a format that is suitable for querying, but it is an option that I could implement within the next couple of months.

HTTP/2 203