Static Noise from new PC :( Help?

So, I just built a new PC, but I keep getting some sort of static/ crackling noise when i connect speakers, i have tried 2 speakers and my headphones on allack and front ports, but I keep getting that noise.

I have no idea what this could be,but I'm kind of worried it might be the sound chip on the motherboard  :unsure:

I have a Z87-Pro motherboard from Asus (using on-board sound) and my PC components are in my signature below...

Also I have the latest versions installed for these sound/ audio devices: Nvidia High Definition Audio, Nvidia Virtual Audio Device, Realtek High Definition Audio and the latest Windows updated (running Windows 7 Professional)

- Oslo

My PC:

Intel Core i5-4670K | ASUS Z87-Pro | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | MSI GTX760 TF OC Gaming 2GB | Corsair c70 | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB (SSD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB (HDD) | Corsair RM750 | Cooler Master 212 Evo | CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Red) | Corsair M65 | audio-technica ATH-M50 | Dell UltraSharp U2414H | Logitech C920 | Windows 10 Pro

Have you tried the back ports? if the back works then it must be something to do with the HD audio cable so maybe you didn't plug it in properly or something like that.

Have you tried the back ports? if the back works then it must be something to do with the HD audio cable so maybe you didn't plug it in properly or something like that.

Yes, I tried all ports - front and back. And thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to reconnect the HD audio cables on my motherboard and see what happens.

My PC:

Intel Core i5-4670K | ASUS Z87-Pro | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | MSI GTX760 TF OC Gaming 2GB | Corsair c70 | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB (SSD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB (HDD) | Corsair RM750 | Cooler Master 212 Evo | CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Red) | Corsair M65 | audio-technica ATH-M50 | Dell UltraSharp U2414H | Logitech C920 | Windows 10 Pro

Nope, I checked and they were connected correctly, but I still have the same static/ crackling sound  <_<

My PC:

Nope, I checked and they were connected correctly, but I still have the same static/ crackling sound  <_<

I'm not entirely sure but maybe uninstall all the audio drivers and just install the on board audio driver which I'm guessing would be realtek HD audio drivers (most common audio chipset)

I'm not entirely sure but maybe uninstall all the audio drivers and just install the on board audio driver which I'm guessing would be realtek HD audio drivers (most common audio chipset)

Sure, I'll try tnx :)

My PC:

I uninstalled every single audio driver and i still got the static/ crackling noise (but had no Windows sounds lol). I then reinstalled them and I still have this sound...

My PC:

I uninstalled every single audio driver and i still got the static/ crackling noise (but had no Windows sounds lol). I then reinstalled them and I still have this sound...

Try to RMA your mobo because I'm guessing that it's the only hope left I'm afraid

Try to RMA your mobo because I'm guessing that it's the only hope left I'm afraid

Yes, I'll look at threads across the internet for possible solutions, but thanks for the help and if nothing works I'll RMA it ;)

My PC:

Yes, I'll look at threads across the internet for possible solutions, but thanks for the help and if nothing works I'll RMA it ;)

No probs and don't forget to post a solution in here if you find one so others who may come across the same problem would be able to solve it aswell

No probs and don't forget to post a solution in here if you find one so others who may come across the same problem would be able to solve it aswell

Will do ;)

My PC:

I ran some stress tests for my GPU and it seems like that is where this "whining" noise comes from... not sure if I should RMA the GPU for that though...

My PC:

We have the same problem, Seems that Asus and Realtek never ment to be together

Static noise can be an indicator of EMI or other types of interference. If you power cable or audio cable is close or touching to other cables I would recommend separating them or elevating them from the floor. If you do not also you may want to consider using a AVR of sometime to ensure cleaner power. This can minimize or eliminate line noise in many situations. Worst case scenario you could have a highly affected environment and there will always be some static or hum. In this worst case scenario the only way to resolve it would be to have a discrete sound card.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-LC1200-Conditioner-Outlet/dp/B0000512LA/ref=pd_sim_e_7

This is what i run on my personal system you can get more basic units with lower wattage ratings but ideally look at one with AVR not just basic surge suppression. This model linked below is does not offer AVR but I have seen it improved some cases at a low cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-SS-6B-Outlets-Standard-Conditioning/dp/B0002D017M/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391457349&sr=1-2&keywords=furman

Overall though I do not think you have a faulty board ( especially if you have no issues overall when listening to music or watching a video or playing a game ).

Hope this helps.

Remember in the future you can do an advanced RMA it is offered on ASUS boards meaning you can have the replacement shipped to you prior to the ASUS service dept receiving the original board. This has to be requested and confirmed and is like other advanced RMA where a charge hold is required but it can be much more convenient than a standard RMA

I actually took out the GTX760 and am running on Intel HD Graphics 4600, the noise level is lower, but still there so I don't think it's the GPU... my PSU is absolutely silent, so that leaves the motherboard and cables interfering each other... probably (and hopefully) the cables... as this is my first build I am pretty bad at cable management, but I will redo it now... big cables away from small cables right?

My PC:

We have the same problem, Seems that Asus and Realtek never ment to be together

That might be it, too... I'll try to install different driver versions...

My PC:

I did some neat cable management and tried different drivers, but the sound is still there :/ Might RMA the mobo (it must be a faulty mobo or something)...

My PC:

There is nothing wrong with your sound, the distortions you are hearing are just because it is a bad/cheap sound card. If you really want great sound, pony up $100 for a good sound card. You will be very disapointed when you get a replacement motherboard after weeks of waiting to have it be exactly the same.

There is nothing wrong with your sound, the distortions you are hearing are just because it is a bad/cheap sound card. If you really want great sound, pony up $100 for a good sound card. You will be very disapointed when you get a replacement motherboard after weeks of waiting to have it be exactly the same.

I'll contact ASUS... although I don't think that the ALC1150 is a bad sound chip... and the noises only started this week, I didn't notice any before...

My PC:

I am going to RMA my PSU. The squealing/ whining noise is still there when I remove the GPU, but it is not as loud, so I have come to the conclusion that it must be the PSU, because whenever it is on load (GPU stress tests, games etc.) it whines louder.

Hope this helps people with similar problems and I'll get back to this thread when I have gotten my replacement for the PSU.

My PC:

• 4 weeks later...

I got a replacement PSU (still RM750 from Corsair though) and the sound doesn't change the pitch/ frequency anymore, but it is louder... Maybe the PSU was just one of the issues, maybe the motherboard is causing this "new" kind of sound, not really squealing, but it sounds like someone doing this Morse-Code thing :/

My PC:

I had a similar problem with my system - it turned out that the heatsink on the back of my subwoofer was grounding against the metal shielded power strip I had behind my desk. Tore my entire PC apart trying to figure it out... After troubleshooting for something like 6 hours straight (and getting very frustrated) the noise stopped when I moved the sub out from under my desk. I felt like a real idiot.

May want to check to see if the case is being grounded - or some kind of odd power issue... Such as a power cable with a broken ground wire.

Good luck with tracking down the noise.

EDIT: May want to try a different power outlet / power strip... just a thought.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

I had a similar problem with my system - it turned out that the heatsink on the back of my subwoofer was grounding against the metal shielded power strip I had behind my desk. Tore my entire PC apart trying to figure it out... After troubleshooting for something like 6 hours straight (and getting very frustrated) the noise stopped when I moved the sub out from under my desk. I felt like a real idiot.

May want to check to see if the case is being grounded - or some kind of odd power issue... Such as a power cable with a broken ground wire.

Good luck with tracking down the noise.

EDIT: May want to try a different power outlet / power strip... just a thought.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried different power outlets, but the beeps still persist. I don't have a subwoofer, and I hear the beeps through my headphones, too for example... I have contacted ASUS about it though, in case it is the motherboard. And how can I ground the case? It is just standing on my wooden IKEA desk. I'm not really good at troubleshooting, and i am thankful for your help :)

Here is a video of the beeps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huWj8nVciCU

My PC: