Windows 10 update stuck

cardsfanbj
Go to solution Solved by 0x1e,
2 hours ago, cardsfanbj said:

I let it run overnight, and it's still stuck at 58%. Not going to touch it before leaving for work, hoping it will do something over the next 8 hours, even though the last 8 did nothing.

If it's been at 58% for hours / a day then it's stuck.
Restart the machine and it should roll back the updates automatically.
If not then Wnidows should have created a restore point just before installing the updates. You can manually do that if needed.

Windows 10 64-bit

Got home from work today and had the message on screen that a security update was downloaded and needed to reboot to apply, so I restarted it. 

It rebooted, got to the working on updates, XX%, don't turn off your computer message and I hear the last video I had open on YouTube (Linus and the most bestest Mac pro) starts playing, despite the "working on updates" message and never getting the screen to log back into windows. I note that it's at 58%.

I turned off the speakers and let the update do its thing. Cut to a half hour later, it's still at 58%. I let it go another half hour, and it's still 58%. 

Should I reboot the PC manually, or should I let it go? 

I kinda was hoping I'd be able to play some Fallout 76 before I have to go to bed, but I'd also rather not corrupt my install and have to format my drive, reinstall Windows, get all the settings back the way I like, remap the folders, get all my iTunes playlists back again, etc, etc, etc.

Pretty much always let them go, unless you're comfortable reinstalling if you bork it all up. I've definitely hard booted systems when they get stuck in updates, but it's very not recommended unless you know how to fix it and have backups. Just leave her be.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

I let it run overnight, and it's still stuck at 58%. Not going to touch it before leaving for work, hoping it will do something over the next 8 hours, even though the last 8 did nothing.

2 hours ago, cardsfanbj said:

If it's been at 58% for hours / a day then it's stuck.
Restart the machine and it should roll back the updates automatically.
If not then Wnidows should have created a restore point just before installing the updates. You can manually do that if needed.

It's not a race to the bottom.