How do I connect another display to a late 2012 iMac running on bootcamp?

Reiidar
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
14 minutes ago, Reiidar said:

I managed to find a monitor with similar specs to my current display. Regarding the adapter, does it have to have "thunderbolt" in its name? Or would any mini display port to hdmi work? 

Doesn't need to have thunderbolt in its name.

The thunderbolt tech packs in the displayport tech, so in addition to the displayport features, it also has thunderbolt features. Because of this, it means any (mini)displayport adapters will work with thunderbolt ports.

I want to increase my productivity with another display since that is the only upgrade possible that I could still make that could still be used elsewhere when I would change my desktop. I'm running windows 10 on bootcamp. And I don't have any experience using a dual monitor setup. 

I don't know what I should look for since 

With MacOS or Windows 'natively' you just plug in a second monitor and it just works. Maybe you have to tell the computer the screens are the other way around, but other than that it's quite plug and play.

I don't have any experience with Mac+Bootcamp dual screens, so I don't know how it goes with that..

Your iMac has two thunderbolt ports, with the physical Mini-displayport plug, which means you can connect basically any monitor with the right adapter. What I mean by that is that your monitor can be using either Displayport, HDMI, DVI or possibly even VGA (perhaps it has mini displayport itself) and for any of these you just need the appropriate Mini-DP to whatever cable/adapter.

A simple adapter should cost you no more than 15 euros. If you want to test out of dual monitor will work at all, you can get a simple mini-DP to HDMI cable and plug it into a television for example, just to test it out.

In terms of monitors, be sure to get one that suits your need. Usually for a second monitor I recommend something with an IPS panel for good viewing angles and maybe in your case a monitor with more brightness (like 300+cd/m2) to match your iMac display.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

21 hours ago, Minibois said:

With MacOS or Windows 'natively' you just plug in a second monitor and it just works

Your iMac has two thunderbolt ports, with the physical Mini-displayport plug, which means you can connect basically any monitor with the right adapter. What I mean by that is that your monitor can be using either Displayport, HDMI, DVI or possibly even VGA (perhaps it has mini displayport itself) and for any of these you just need the appropriate Mini-DP to whatever cable/adapter.

A simple adapter should cost you no more than 15 euros. If you want to test out of dual monitor will work at all, you can get a simple mini-DP to HDMI cable and plug it into a television for example, just to test it out.

In terms of monitors, be sure to get one that suits your need. Usually for a second monitor I recommend something with an IPS panel for good viewing angles and maybe in your case a monitor with more brightness (like 300+cd/m2) to match your iMac display.

I managed to find a monitor with similar specs to my current display. Regarding the adapter, does it have to have "thunderbolt" in its name? Or would any mini display port to hdmi work? 

14 minutes ago, Reiidar said:

Doesn't need to have thunderbolt in its name.

The thunderbolt tech packs in the displayport tech, so in addition to the displayport features, it also has thunderbolt features. Because of this, it means any (mini)displayport adapters will work with thunderbolt ports.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/