Thoughts and opinions for parts list

Been browsing pcpartpicker for a bit now, and got a part list going for upgrades I want to make. Posted about it earlier and here's link for anyone either bit interested in seeing where this came from. 

Budget for upgrades is again $1000 via Amazon Gift Cards, and current parts list I got going is 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x (Was thinking about building for video recording/streaming, but decided that it wasn't worth the extra $100 ish for the small amount I would do if any)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming (Want 2-way SLI support because I'm interested in getting a second GTX 1080)

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8GB DDR4-3600

Boot Drive: ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro 256 GB M.2 2280 NVME SSD

Mass Storage: ADATA SU800 2TB SSD (Being paired with a 1TB and 700GB Hard-drive I already have)

Gonna buy a Windows 10 home license since current OS is a Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7

All parts where largely selected because they where the cheapest 4-5 star rated product on Pcpartpicker, set to Canadian prices, because I love paying an extra 30% on products.

This is what the final product should look like with the parts I currently have and no clue why it's giving me a french OS, but price can't be that different. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Gpizzel135/saved/#view=fHsCLk

A 3600x might not be worth it over a 3600.  Especially if you want to change the cooler out anyway later on.  

SLI is NOT WORTH IT anymore.  I'd get 1 good card over 2 OK cards anyday.  If you already have one 1080, maybe sell and get a 2080?

The boot drive seems a little redundant if you already have a 2tb ssd.  But that's nik picking.

Because it can't be overstated enough, in most cases for just gaming SLI is not worth it. Unless your doing applications that will specifically benefit from it and have a massive budget it doesn't make sense.

14 minutes ago, Overlandr said:

Do you already have the monitor?

I already have the monitors, the only parts that I'm looking to buy are the one's I posted here,

16 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

A 3600x might not be worth it over a 3600.  Especially if you want to change the cooler out anyway later on.  

SLI is NOT WORTH IT anymore.  I'd get 1 good card over 2 OK cards anyday.  If you already have one 1080, maybe sell and get a 2080?

The boot drive seems a little redundant if you already have a 2tb ssd.  But that's nik picking.

3 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Because it can't be overstated enough, in most cases for just gaming SLI is not worth it. Unless your doing applications that will specifically benefit from it and have a massive budget it doesn't make sense.

I thought SLI was still viable, to a degree. But if not that a) money saved, or b) maybe a cooler if I decide to drop the 2TB SSD to a 1TB SSD. On the topic of Boot Drive, I can't recall but how much faster/better is NVME over standard SSD/M.2?

1 minute ago, Gpizzle135 said:

I thought SLI was still viable, to a degree. But if not that a) money saved, or b) maybe a cooler if I decide to drop the 2TB SSD to a 1TB SSD. On the topic of Boot Drive, I can't recall but how much faster/better is NVME over standard SSD/M.2?

No, SLI is not worth it.  

SATA vs NVME is only noticeable if moving large files around.  Booting and loading games and apps won't make a noticable difference.  

I'd take the money you save from the 1TB SSD, 3600 instead of 3600x and a motherboard with no SLI and buy the best GPU you can.

3 minutes ago, Gpizzle135 said:

I can't recall but how much faster/better is NVME over standard SSD/M.2?

NVMe usually a few seconds faster on boot, but I dont think it noticable in most applications over a decent SATA III SSD. If you are doing file transfers, you will notice the difference as long as where you copy/paste from is fast enought to utilise it.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

No, SLI is not worth it.  

I've had a much better experience with my 1080 Ti and now Radeon VII than I did with my SLI 1080s. They pushed eyeball searing numbers in the... like one title in my collection that worked flawlessly (Battlefront 2015), the rest were shit. Even Rise of The Tomb Raider (which supports SLI) with the proper tweaks was a garbage experience, frametimes were all over the place and fps was super choppy (both with a 2700X on a Crosshair VII Hero and an 8600K on a Prime Z370-A). Basically it's hit or miss and can take some work to get going. If you manage to get it to work it can give you some beefy numbers, but you're better off with a single card for gaming. SLI would be worth it on something like a 2080 Ti where there's no higher GPU to hop to, but usually it's an eh choice if you dislike headaches. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Snip

Agreed.

SLI is for benchmark record breakers and people with enough money to care more about the look of 2 GPUs in a system than the performance of 2 GPUs in a system.

I wasn't looking to upgrade from my 1080, but might be able to pull it off. But that depends on if I can sell it.

5 minutes ago, Gpizzle135 said:

I wasn't looking to upgrade from my 1080, but might be able to pull it off. But that depends on if I can sell it.

Should be able to sell it pretty easily, but what res/refresh rate are you aiming for? The 1080 is still a killer GPU. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Agreed.

SLI is for benchmark record breakers and people with enough money to care more about the look of 2 GPUs in a system than the performance of 2 GPUs in a system.

Also use to be for earlier 4k setups with good fps.

4 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Should be able to sell it pretty easily, but what res/refresh rate are you aiming for? The 1080 is still a killer GPU. 

Currently running a Dell S2417DG 165 hz 1440 Gysyn monitor as main display. 

6 minutes ago, Gpizzle135 said:

Currently running a Dell S2417DG 165 hz 1440 Gysyn monitor as main display. 

1080 still does fine in 1440p as of June 6th this year: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-05-03-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-benchmarks-7001

Keep in mind all these benches are GPU intensive games at max settings, drop most things to high, some to medium, while running ultra textures and lighter AA and you should push over 140fps easily, if not the full refresh rate (depends on what games you need that in, most non-FPS titles are fine at anything over 120 or so). You've got G-Sync to cover you for any FPS drops too, back when I used a 1660 Ti on my 1080p144Hz G-Sync monitor it was fine even when it dropped to 100 or so, only noticed a lack in smoothness at 80-90fps or below. It's a bit worse with fps drops now that I'm using my RVII (due to not running G-Sync), but fine most of the time. 

Main PC