USB 3.0 mystery

MrRodmann

Greeting to the community of the Linus Tech Tips forum.

I have a mystery that I cannot solve myself with the help of Google, but I hope and am sure one of you will be able to at least explain why what's happening is happening. So, the issue is the following:

I have 2 PC's, one based on a X58 P6T Deluxe and another one on a Z370 Krait Gaming. I have purchased a PCIE x1 adapter card for USB 3.0 and for my USB storage device I use a 16 GB Sandisk. On my P6T Deluxe, I slotted the card in the single PCIE X4 (one lane) it has and I got incredible 130-150 MB/s transfer speeds consistently, willing to post evidence if needed. This coming out of a 850 EVO and before I even turned on  RAPID mode with Samsung Magician (these are all 2.0 both the SATAs and PCIEs)
Now on my Z370 Krait Gaming, coming out of a SATA 3 7200RPM HDD, or my 860 EVO with RAPID mode on (6,950 Reads / 6,723 Writes) I'm getting far from it. When plugged on a single lane PCIE X1 slot I was getting 40ishMB/s and when slotting the card on the full lane PCIE X4 I was getting the same as before the card, averaging between 12-15 MB/s. This is the same average before the card using the case front pannel connectors.

I don't even know exactly what search for exactly to figure this out and what I tried gave me no solid answer or better, fix. 

OBS: All 6 SATA ports are occupied on the Z370 (I feel that this might have something to do along the lines of all these drives saturating something but then the averages I was getting in the X1 slot made no sense with this hypothesis)

You're likely bottlenecked by your chipset lanes being saturated. Try disconnecting other drives and test to see if the results remain the same or increase. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

To be honest if that is the case I don't think I will even bother atm  because until I make my home server these drives have to be on my z370 so oh well, gona have to get used to waiting 5min for transfering files... But regarldess thank you so much for your prompt reply! Much appreciated!

• 5 months later...

Sorry took so long to reply, dont expect a reply but anyways... I finally changed it around, I know only have one M.2 Nvme ssd, one sata ssd and two HDDs in raid 0 while still getting the same slow transfer speeds through all USB 3.0 ports.