I would like to know about gcc 9.1.0 compilers compatibility with intel processors?

The matter is that I want use Linux From Scratch as a daily driver.

I have 7th gen Intel core i5 processor 7200U in my laptop whose code name is kabylake.

When compiling the last version of Linux From Scratch I used to pass CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=skylake" to the compiler because there was no kabylake support in the gcc compiler.

Now I am making the newer version of LFS for my system and I have switched over to gcc-9.1.0 compiler and expected that -march=kabylake support would be there.

When I did that the compiler reported

gcc -Wall -Winline -O2 -pipe -march=kabylake -g -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -c blocksort.c

cc1: error: bad value ('kabylake') for '-march=' switch

cc1: note: valid arguments to '-march=' switch are: nocona core2 nehalem corei7 westmere sandybridge corei7-avx ivybridge core-avx-i haswell core-avx2 broadwell skylake skylake-avx512 cannonlake icelake-client icelake-server cascadelake bonnell atom silvermont slm goldmont goldmont-plus tremont knl knm x86-64 eden-x2 nano nano-1000 nano-2000 nano-3000 nano-x2 eden-x4 nano-x4 k8 k8-sse3 opteron opteron-sse3 athlon64 athlon64-sse3 athlon-fx amdfam10 barcelona bdver1 bdver2 bdver3 bdver4 znver1 znver2 btver1 btver2 native

But then I noticed there is canonlake listed above which is  10-nanometer die shrink of the Kaby Lake microarchitecture (ref wikipedia)

And My Question is

Can I pass -march=canonlake to gcc-9.1.0 compiler

Would my processor support the binaries or is there any better switch for my processor

I think the best way to try this is compiling a simple binary to test?

Even though, you could just use -march=native to be sure to have optimized binaries for your cpu

3 hours ago, ibrahim665 said:

The matter is that I want use Linux From Scratch as a daily driver.

Don't. That's not what it's intended for. You get a minimal system that only does the basics so you can learn how a Linux system is typically built. You don't get something you can use effectively out of the box.

The architecture you want is probably skylake-avx512 but, as @Chunchunmaru_ pointed out, you can just use "native" to use whatever the compiler thinks is appropriate for your cpu.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

45 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Don't. That's not what it's intended for. You get a minimal system that only does the basics so you can learn how a Linux system is typically built. You don't get something you can use effectively out of the box.

The architecture you want is probably skylake-avx512 but, as @Chunchunmaru_ pointed out, you can just use "native" to use whatever the compiler thinks is appropriate for your cpu.

I Know that LFS gives only minimal system, but I had Xfce running on the base system and I had built LFS so many times that I know the underlying basics of a Linux system can compile it with ease. Also  I don't want to hand over my pc to systemd. I prefer Xfce the most and want to have absolute control over my system.

1 hour ago, ibrahim665 said:

I Know that LFS gives only minimal system, but I had Xfce running on the base system and I had built LFS so many times that I know the underlying basics of a Linux system can compile it with ease. Also  I don't want to hand over my pc to systemd. I prefer Xfce the most and want to have absolute control over my system.

If you don't want systemd and want to control compilation flags you can use gentoo

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 hours ago, Sauron said:

If you don't want systemd and want to control compilation flags you can use gentoo

Yeah, I thought of using gentoo, but I don't know how to build it.

Once I tried building gentoo but its manual is so much confusing that I quit trying to build it.

Yeah, I thought of using gentoo, but I don't know how to build it.

Once I tried building gentoo but its manual is so much confusing that I quit trying to build it.

Also I want to use runit instead of openrc-init

Gentoo supports runit iirc. If you're having trouble building it try watching a youtube tutorial.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Also I want to use runit instead of openrc-init

just change the symlink for /sbin/init, but be sure to completely configure the init...

On 8/16/2019 at 9:55 AM, ibrahim665 said:

I would like to know about gcc 9.1.0 compilers compatibility with intel processors?

<...>

Would my processor support the binaries or is there any better switch for my processor

Generally, optimization options would only change when there's a substantial departure from an older microarchitecture, be it a new instruction set or a latency/throughput change. Cannon Lake introduces the AVX512 extension, while Kaby Lake just isn't different enough from, I guess, Skylake, to get a different set of optimization parameters.

You may ask the compiler itself for its opinion on the native architecture with `gcc -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march`.

I will go with -march=skylake because

gcc -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march`

returns broadwell which is older than skylake

30 minutes ago, ibrahim665 said:

probably the cpu feature sets are the same

I will switch to gentoo If I found a good tutorial in youtube

2 hours ago, ibrahim665 said:

I will switch to gentoo If I found a good tutorial in youtube

Just following the gentoo documentation isn't a bad idea tbh, it's not that difficult once you know what is needed

What was the problem? 

8 hours ago, ibrahim665 said:

You probably run an older gcc (most likely gcc 7). Are you sure it is gcc 9? What does `gcc -v` say?

15 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Just following the gentoo documentation isn't a bad idea tbh, it's not that difficult once you know what is needed

What was the problem? 

I am good with linux from scratch for now 

viewed youtube tutorials but they were outdated and my installation was not going in the same direction a it did on youtube 

and the gentoo documentation is a mess I couldn't understand a single thing

Gentoo gave me one hell of a headache by just viewing its manuals

I could have made another LFS base system with Xorg and wireless network capabilities instead of wasting my entire evening yesterday

9 hours ago, elevenish said:

You probably run an older gcc (most likely gcc 7). Are you sure it is gcc 9? What does `gcc -v` say?

I ran the command on host gcc 7