Is it okay to bend PCIE cables?

TheBiggestOfBuschemis

So, I got a Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W. I noticed that the PCIE cable is both a 8 pin and 6 pin cable. It's 6 pin in the sense that the other two pins of the cable aren't exactly attached to the 6 pin connector(they kind of hang around). Since I was worried about the other two pins touching the PCB of my Windforce 1060 OC(A GPU with a 6 pin PCIE port or whatever it's called). I decided to bend the cable of each pin back and tie them with a zip tie. Can doing this damage the cables of the two pins in any way? Sorry if the question's kind of stupid. I just don't watch the two pins touching my PCB and shorting the GPU out.

send a picture. From what you're describing it sounds perfectly fine but let's get a visual to be sure.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

send a picture. From what you're describing it sounds perfectly fine but let's get a visual to be sure.

J6amSOP.jpg

5 minutes ago, TheBiggestOfBuschemis said:

that's no problem.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

22 minutes ago, TheBiggestOfBuschemis said:

So, I got a Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W. I noticed that the PCIE cable is both a 8 pin and 6 pin cable. It's 6 pin in the sense that the other two pins of the cable aren't exactly attached to the 6 pin connector(it kind of hangs around). Since I was worried about the other two pins touching the PCB of my Windforce 1060 OC(A GPU with a 6 pin PCIE port or whatever it's called). I decided to bend the cable back and tie it with a zip tie. Can doing this damage the cables of the two pins in any way? Sorry if the question's kind of stupid. I just don't watch the two pins touching my PCB and shorting the GPU out.

It's fine, but just don't kink any cables (eg they shouldn't have folds in their insulation)

19 minutes ago, quakeguy said:

I have a 6 pin that just hangs down below.  I'm not picky.

1.jpg

IMG_20190813_220322.jpg

It's not a matter of being picky or not. I'm guessing your 1070 uses a 8 pin connector. My GPU's uses a 6 pin connector and the the last two connectors were kind of close to the PCB. I just decided to bend them back and tie them with a ziptie in order to not let them short the GPU by touching the PCB. Not trying to sound like a douche or anything. I like your cable management by the way, lol.

47 minutes ago, Kisai said:

It's fine, but just don't kink any cables (eg they shouldn't have folds in their insulation)

Could you check the picture I posted? The cable in that picture is bending back and has a zip tie on it. Is that perfectly fine or..?

3 minutes ago, TheBiggestOfBuschemis said:

What do you exactly mean by "folds in their insulation"? Do you have a picture or something that you could use to clarify a bit?

basically dont "fold" them back on itself

Image result for kinked cable

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

basically dont "fold" them back on itself

Image result for kinked cable

So it's better to bend cables backwards than forward?

2 minutes ago, quakeguy said:

The chance of the pins in the connector shorting anything out is very minimal, especially touching a PCB.  As you can see the pin is recessed inside the connector.  If you're worried about it you could put a piece of black electrical tape over it.  It's better than bending wires.  LOL.

pcie8.jpg

You make a fair point. Again, didn't mean to come off as a dick.

Out of curiosity, is the way I'm bending the cable backwards in that picture in any way going to damage the cable?

22 minutes ago, TheBiggestOfBuschemis said:

So it's better to bend cables backwards than forward?

what? no.

just dont fold it back on itself so it's kinked. a bend/curve is find. a fold is not

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

what? no.

just dont fold it back on itself so it's kinked. a bend/curve is find. a fold is not

Sorry, kind of new to all of this. By the way, is the cable in that picture folding on itself in any way?

3 minutes ago, TheBiggestOfBuschemis said:

Sorry, kind of new to all of this. Heh. Could you do me a favour and take a look at that picture I posted? The cable isn't folding on itself or anything, is it?

image.png.6e8dab0708e2e72c8f80a18cea457b8b.png

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

image.png.6e8dab0708e2e72c8f80a18cea457b8b.png

Thank you for helping my dull minded self understand what you meant by "folding". Apologies for making myself look like an utter fool.

2 hours ago, TheBiggestOfBuschemis said:

Thank you for helping my dull minded self understand what you meant by "folding". Apologies for making myself look like an utter fool.

Yeah basically that. When you see folds in the insulation, the cables are almost always damaged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bend_radius