PC does not boot after installing new cpu

kriptcs
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Did you update your bios? If not reinsert the old one, update it and boom you should be able to drop in the 3700x assuming its supported by your motherboad but since you didn't list it I cannot go verify this.

Hey everyone, I recently made the upgrade from ryzen 5 1600 to r7 3700x, but after I installed it, the pc does not want to boot. (As seen in the video, there is no output from the monitor and keyboard nor the mouse light up).

I feel that the gpu may have  a problem, since when I open it it's rbg part briefly flashes which seems weird (worth noting I haven't looked at how the gpu boots up in months)

But other than that I have no idea what happened. I tried switching the port on which I connect the monitor, reconnect stuff, nothing does it..any ideas?

https://youtu.be/BfoKyQ4hRMI

Ryzen 9 7900x w/ LIAN LI Galahad 240  +   MSI RTX 3060
32GB @ 4800 mhz Corsair Vengeance + ASUS TUF X670e-PLUS

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Did you update your bios? If not reinsert the old one, update it and boom you should be able to drop in the 3700x assuming its supported by your motherboad but since you didn't list it I cannot go verify this.

Just now, jaslion said:

The Prime X370-PRO.

Can I update the bios without replacing the cpu again? It's an amazing hassle to put the cpu back and also replace it again..

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Sadly it doesnt seem to have an independent bios update utility so you'll have to switch everything out again.

1 minute ago, JasonHS said:

The Prime X370-PRO.

Can I update the bios without replacing the cpu again? It's an amazing hassle to put the cpu back and also replace it again..

Unless the board supports BIOS flashback, no.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Unless the board supports BIOS flashback, no.

And I guess not since I don't have such a button

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Just now, JasonHS said:

And I guess not since I don't have such a button

Swap out the CPUs, update the BIOS through a USB stick via the BIOS (NOT via Windows - this is bad) and insert the 3700X

9 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Swap out the CPUs, update the BIOS through a USB stick via the BIOS (NOT via Windows - this is bad) and insert the 3700X

So boot into the bios whilst using your 1600 cpu.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Use your old CPU to update the bios.

This is only really happening because of the new Ryzen CPU's requiring that you're running x570.

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

Just now, GabeThePCHelper said:

Use your old CPU to update the bios.

This is only really happening because of the new Ryzen CPU's requiring that you're running x570.

No that’s not true. They don’t require a x570 board.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

No that’s not true. They don’t require a x570 board.

My mistake, whoops. I meant to say that to avoid a lot of these bios updating problems for the new 3rd gen you need to use a x570 board.

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

14 minutes ago, GabeThePCHelper said:

My mistake, whoops. I meant to say that to avoid a lot of these bios updating problems for the new 3rd gen you need to use a x570 board.

No, still not true. Just buy a B450/X470 board with USB flashback option in it - problem solved