Seeking Gaming Router expert advice

lowr1d3r

Dear all,

I am new to this wonderful community, and decided to join as I see a lot of expertise.

I decided to take the plunge and buy a serious router as the one given by my ISP Hyperoptic UK, is a really scarse quality ZTE model.

I don't know which one to get though!

The things that mostly matter to me are:

1)low latency as I play online on ps4 and PC

2)Fast and reliable speeds - no need for it to be the absolute fastest out there but to have acceptable speeds

3)Ideally a WRT router that gets updated regularly by the community (even though I am not a WRT expert)

4)I live in an apartment that isn't massive so I don't need something with ultra strong range

Models I was considering are 

1)Linksys WRT32X (105GBP) - I hear though that the official firmware hasn't been updated in quite some time. I was wondering if DD-WRT solves issues and added features over time

2)asus rt-ac86u (160GBP)

Based on the above preferences and the prices...which one would you recommend and why? And if neither of these two, then which one? I'd like to ideally stay at around 150gbp and not break the bank

I look forward to your advice! Many thanks

Pfsense Box + Unifi AP or old router acting as a AP beats any consumer router gear.

Small SFF second hand/reburbs business desktop with 4 Intel Add-on card.

Magical Pineapples

Just now, desertcomputer said:

Pfsense Box + Unifi AP or old router acting as a AP beats any consumer router gear.

Thanks, however I have no clue what this is and as I am not an expert I'm not sure whether this would be the best option ... i'll look into it though. If you had to recommend a consumer router would you have a preference?

1 minute ago, lowr1d3r said:

Thanks, however I have no clue what this is and as I am not an expert I'm not sure whether this would be the best option ... i'll look into it though. If you had to recommend a consumer router would you have a preference?

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X + Unifi AP (PRO/LITE/LR). I never use any consumer network gear, if I don't have to.

Magical Pineapples

2 minutes ago, desertcomputer said:

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X + Unifi AP (PRO/LITE/LR). I never use any consumer gear, if I don't have to.

What are the benefits if I may ask? compared to those two models I shared?

Just now, lowr1d3r said:

What are the benefits if I may ask? compared to those two models I shared?

First one is a router and the other is the access point (WIFI). You will need both, as for the AP it depending if you want use your old router as AP or buy unifi AP.

Benefits: Actual firmware/software updates many year down the line. I would call this semi/budget-enterprise gear. It far more reliably compare to any consumer gear as it designed to run 24/7 for little to no downtime. I have some of AP and Switches running for hundreds of day and only goes down for firmware/software updates. Now you can blame your ISP for any problem not your networking gear ;)

Cons: You will need some networking knowledge for initial setup. (You can ask any question in Ubiquiti fourms)

Magical Pineapples

8 minutes ago, desertcomputer said:

First one is a router and the other is the access point (WIFI). You will need both, as for the AP it depending if you want use your old router as AP or buy unifi AP.

Benefits: Actual firmware/software updates many year down the line. I would call this semi/budget-enterprise gear. It far more reliably compare to any consumer gear as it designed to run 24/7 for little to no downtime. I have some of AP and Switches running for hundreds of day and only goes down for firmware/software updates. Now you can blame your ISP for any problem not your networking gear ;)

Cons: You will need some networking knowledge for initial setup. (You can ask any question in Ubiquiti fourms)

Thanks, i'll look into this option. In the meantime any suggestions from other users that have experience with high end all in one routers is welcome.

I dont get gaming routers. If ur gonna spend that much money on a stupid looking router, cant you just spent a lot less money on a Ethernet cable and get better performance?

Just now, The Torrent said:

I dont get gaming routers. If ur gonna spend that much money on a stupid looking router, cant you just spent a lot less money on a Ethernet cable and get better performance?

Good point but unfortunately I don't have the wired option due to where the line is placed and where the various systems are positioned around the apartment. The only wired option is through powerline, however i've tested it and the speeds I get are even lower than the 5ghz signal of my crappy isp ZTE router. Even then though the ZTE can't handle game streaming or high quality video streaming without stuttering (which is one additional reason of getting a good router with powerful CPU and enough RAM).