Ping Spikes with Verizon DSL

Fadi Jarebica

Hi, 
for the past 5 months or so, I've been getting insane ping spikes and it's becoming unbearable. I'm on summer break and can't even enjoy playing games like CS-GO without my ping staying at 50-150-500-1200-1600 that's how it always is, even in other games and then I always lag out. I'm using cat 5e as I don't think cat6 will do any different and changing DNS servers doesn't really change anything. I called my ISP and they said everything was fine with my internet SPEED but completely overlooked the reason I called, the random ping spikes. The only way I have fun during my times alone is by playing games with people and much rather prefer staying indoors, I'm baffled as to why my internet keeps spiking and kindly ask that the community help me out. My WiFi is even better than my Ethernet and I really don't know what it is anymore.

Kind Regards,
Fadi Jarebica

11 minutes ago, Fadi Jarebica said:

Hi, 
for the past 5 months or so, I've been getting insane ping spikes and it's becoming unbearable. I'm on summer break and can't even enjoy playing games like CS-GO without my ping staying at 50-150-500-1200-1600 that's how it always is, even in other games and then I always lag out. I'm using cat 5e as I don't think cat6 will do any different and changing DNS servers doesn't really change anything. I called my ISP and they said everything was fine with my internet SPEED but completely overlooked the reason I called, the random ping spikes. The only way I have fun during my times alone is by playing games with people and much rather prefer staying indoors, I'm baffled as to why my internet keeps spiking and kindly ask that the community help me out. My WiFi is even better than my Ethernet and I really don't know what it is anymore.

Kind Regards,
Fadi Jarebica

It could be an issue at a peering point (Place where the ISP connects in to another network) or an issue with a back bone provider like Level 3. There is a chance Verizon doesnt have a direct connection to the game servers, so that traffic goes over to someone like Level 3 to get to where it needs to go. If thats the case there is nothing you can do. 

On a side note, it could be a Verizon issue, hope that it isnt, because they dont want to be a DSL provider any more and have chosen to let their copper infrastructure rot in many areas, or sell it off to other providers. What you can do is do a trace route in the cmd prompt to the game servers ip address and take note on areas that might have issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

It could be an issue at a peering point (Place where the ISP connects in to another network) or an issue with a back bone provider like Level 3. There is a chance Verizon doesnt have a direct connection to the game servers, so that traffic goes over to someone like Level 3 to get to where it needs to go. If thats the case there is nothing you can do. 

On a side note, it could be a Verizon issue, hope that it isnt, because they dont want to be a DSL provider any more and have chosen to let their copper infrastructure rot in many areas, or sell it off to other providers. What you can do is do a trace route in the cmd prompt to the game servers ip address and take note on areas that might have issues. 

I don't think that's the problem, other people in my family get ping spikes but it's not as much. Maybe up to 80-100 which I am completely fine with.

Just now, Fadi Jarebica said:

I don't think that's the problem, other people in my family get ping spikes but it's not as much. Maybe up to 80-100 which I am completely fine with.

Do they play the same games as you? Also what else is going on where your gaming? DSL tends to be shit in many cases, you might have a bandwidth issue, What package are you on? I see posts all the time with people with slow DSL connections having issues gaming, because a family member decides to Netflix. 

Do they play the same games as you? Also what else is going on where your gaming? DSL tends to be shit in many cases, you might have a bandwidth issue, What package are you on? I see posts all the time with people with slow DSL connections having issues gaming, because a family member decides to Netflix. 

No one else in my family plays games, at most maybe roblox haha. The only plan that is in my area from verizon is DSL which is 7.1-15mbps download. Using a GT784WNV from Actiontec. And even right now, my little sister is using a mac watching yt, and my other sister is using discord. I don't see how that could really affect my ping. It's still the same when someone watches Netflix, nothing changes. My mother won't switch plans as she thinks Xfinity is a scam because the prices are so cheap .-.

1 minute ago, Fadi Jarebica said:

My mother won't switch plans as she thinks Xfinity is a scam because the prices are so cheap .-.

No..... They are a scam because once they get you in they bend you over an fuck you. Been with these bastards for a few decades. Though their speeds are much better than DSL. 

2 minutes ago, Fadi Jarebica said:

And even right now, my little sister is using a mac watching yt, and my other sister is using discord. I don't see how that could really affect my ping.

You have shit for bandwidth. Netflix HD needs like 5 Mbps, you have 7 to 15. Probably on the lower side considering the state Verizon's copper network is in. When you load up heavy bandwidth using things like Netflix or Youtube that will cause issues. 

I'm in Delran, NJ. Do you know any websites to find out all the plans in my area?

Just now, Fadi Jarebica said:

I'm in Delran, NJ. Do you know any websites to find out all the plans in my area?

Not 100% correct but the website is safe. LOL. https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/#/ This will show you what providers are around you. As far as plans, you will have to go to each providers website and compare. 

Be aware of caps as well. Comcast for instance Caps part of the US at 1 TB, I think you would be except because your part of the Northeast Territory. 

No..... They are a scam because once they get you in they bend you over an fuck you. Been with these bastards for a few decades. Though their speeds are much better than DSL. 

You have shit for bandwidth. Netflix HD needs like 5 Mbps, you have 7 to 15. Probably on the lower side considering the state Verizon's copper network is in. When you load up heavy bandwidth using things like Netflix or Youtube that will cause issues. 

Also, it's odd though that my wifi performs far better than my ethernet. Any ideas why ?

Not 100% correct but the website is safe. LOL. https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/#/ This will show you what providers are around you. As far as plans, you will have to go to each providers website and compare. 

Be aware of caps as well. Comcast for instance Caps part of the US at 1 TB, I think you would be except because your part of the Northeast Territory. 

I mean Comcast seems to be the only thing I can go for since it's cable and the rest are sattelite. Could upgrading my modem improve my ping ?

3 minutes ago, Fadi Jarebica said:

Also, it's odd though that my wifi performs far better than my ethernet. Any ideas why ?

As long at your using a Cat5e or above cable and your cable length is not more than 300ish feet then it should work fine. 

I mean Comcast seems to be the only thing I can go for since it's cable and the rest are sattelite. Could upgrading my modem improve my ping ?

Maybe, depends on how shit the modem is, but the issue is you have slow DSL. Id replace the provider or get a better plan. 

As long at your using a Cat5e or above cable and your cable length is not more than 300ish feet then it should work fine. 

Maybe, depends on how shit the modem is, but the issue is you have slow DSL. Id replace the provider or get a better plan. 

I'm using Cat5e, it's like 5 ft long.

Also, the only other plans are satellite and are 10-20 Mbps faster. Is xfinity that bad?

s xfinity that bad?

Customer service = 0

Pricing = 0

Speeds = Depends on area, but max speed on coax is 1 Gbps 35 Mbps up. If you go Fiber which is very expensive you can get 2Gbps symmetrical

We have been with Comcast for ever. The last plan we were on was the Internet + Stream. This plan includes 10 locals and HBO that is streamed via a Roku app, + the 150/10 internet. First year it was like $40, the Next year it was like $55, now its like $103. So........ are they that bad?????? Also if you go with any streaming or TV options be prepared to pay fees out the fucking ass. 

Modem rental: $11-$15 (You can buy your own)

Broadcast TV fee 

Sports Fee

TV Box fee

Prices for these fees vary based on location. You can try looking up a local rate card for your area and seeing what the prices are. Those the rate card will not show the deals. 

I only need the internet and an agent told me that when your plan runs out (Like 1 year no contract is 30 bucks for 60Mbps) you can switch to another plan with the same 1 year no contract for 50 bucks for 100Mbps every single time a year runs out. Also planning on buying my own router.

38 minutes ago, Fadi Jarebica said:

I only need the internet and an agent told me that when your plan runs out (Like 1 year no contract is 30 bucks for 60Mbps) you can switch to another plan with the same 1 year no contract for 50 bucks for 100Mbps every single time a year runs out. Also planning on buying my own router.

Your mileage will vary in that regard. Comcast's call center staff has a habit of not telling the full truth.