Using Samsung T5 external SSD's internal msata ssd for laptop

decltype

Using Samsung T5 external SSD's internal msata ssd for laptop. Anyone tried this before?

8 minutes ago, decltype said:

Using Samsung T5 external SSD's internal msata ssd for laptop. Anyone tried this before?

Do you mean through USB or taking it apart and installing the internals of the T5 into the laptop?  The question will be whether you can remove th T5's security by taking it out of the enclosure.  

Not sure.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you tear down the T5 drive, sure. It looks like it's really an mSATA 850 EVO with a SATA to USB converter board

THink the other board has the security written into it?  If so then the plan should work.

3 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

THink the other board has the security written into it?  If so then the plan should work.

I would assume they used a bog standard SATA to USB converter board. I can't imagine why they would do anything more than selling a bog standard internal SSD in an external enclosure at this rate.

10 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Do you mean through USB or taking it apart and installing the internals of the T5 into the laptop?  The question will be whether you can remove th T5's security by taking it out of the enclosure.  

Not sure.

Take it apart and extract the internal msata ssd then use it for laptop. There's why I am asking if anyone have tried lol

Just now, BigWolf said:

I tried it with Samsung T3 1tb. Works fine.

Need confirmation for T5...

7 minutes ago, decltype said:

It's same. The only difference between T3 and T5 is the mSATA to USB enclosure.

• 10 months later...
On 7/12/2019 at 3:23 AM, decltype said:

Very late to the party (this thread), but yes, confirmed. T5/2Tb Gutted like fish, 2Tb mSATA placed on MoBo replacing 256G mSATA for 'antique' Toshiba X75-A7290, after cloning. Tested 1st, once recognized, it's just a matter of running the software, & swapping the drives. Been running on it (& 2 other SSD's onboard) since Oct. Works like a champ. HTH.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:26 AM, QuantifiedTriumph said:

Very late to the party (this thread), but yes, confirmed. T5/2Tb Gutted like fish, 2Tb mSATA placed on MoBo replacing 256G mSATA for 'antique' Toshiba X75-A7290, after cloning. Tested 1st, once recognized, it's just a matter of running the software, & swapping the drives. Been running on it (& 2 other SSD's onboard) since Oct. Works like a champ. HTH.

Thanks for the reply.
I have already gotten it last year and it worked on my HP envy 15 - J series. The mSATA slot was meant for cache with up to 32GB support but I managed to use it like a normal SSD slot by just flashing to the latest BIOS. There are some tricks to the installation though.