Programming - Development Questions

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
14 minutes ago, Hi P said:

1.- I found desktop app development interesting, but I was wondering, is there such thing as web app development? (so like desktop, but for the web)

I'm not talking about front-end, as I don't like to design.

Yes. The so-called full stack development is web-app development. You're building an application that's based in the world wide web. The only difference between a web-app and a local desktop app is the business logic is handled by another computer.

2.- What's a common path to learn back-end? not full stack, just back-end.

I don't know what a common path is, but I picked up a few books and just rolled with it.

3.- Whenever I read about embedded systems they all mention devices like raspberry pi and nothing else, having said that, what real world jobs out there are for embedded systems?

Are these jobs related to robotics?

Control systems for robots and vehicles. Sensor devices like for those used in medical fields. Calculators. Microwaves. Embedded devices are everywhere and they vastly outnumber computers you might think are "computers".

4.- Is Java still the go-to for enterprise? if so, what's exactly C# for? (that's a bit confusing)

C# is when your ecosystem is mostly based around Microsoft's products.

1.- I found desktop app development interesting, but I was wondering, is there such thing as web app development? (so like desktop, but for the web)

3.- Whenever I read about embedded systems they all mention devices like raspberry pi and nothing else, having said that, what real world jobs out there are for embedded systems?

4.- Is Java still the go-to for enterprise? if so, what's exactly C# for? (that's a bit confusing)

Thank you :)

Yes. The so-called full stack development is web-app development. You're building an application that's based in the world wide web. The only difference between a web-app and a local desktop app is the business logic is handled by another computer.

I don't know what a common path is, but I picked up a few books and just rolled with it.

Control systems for robots and vehicles. Sensor devices like for those used in medical fields. Calculators. Microwaves. Embedded devices are everywhere and they vastly outnumber computers you might think are "computers".

C# is when your ecosystem is mostly based around Microsoft's products.

At work we use Python 3 with connexion and swagger to create endpoints for our frontend tools. I'd say to mess around with that, make a few things etc put on GitHub or something. Full-stack is much more desirable to employers.

28 minutes ago, AnotherMax said:

40 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The so-called full stack development is web-app development.

Full-stack is much more desirable to employers.

I feel so screwed up, web app seems to be where employment is at, but I don't have a bit of an interest on it :(

39 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Is that a viable career path employment-wise? sounds awesome but I kinda don't wanna pursue it just to starve in the end

1 minute ago, Hi P said:

Is that a viable career path employment-wise? sounds awesome but I kinda don't wanna pursue it just to starve in the end

It is. I started off my career with embedded systems. The problem is you have to really look for it in niche sectors. There isn't a lot of need for active development for say a microwave controller.

2 hours ago, Hi P said:

I feel so screwed up, web app seems to be where employment is at, but I don't have a bit of an interest on it :(

Yeah, it seems to be whats happening, you can still get just backend dev jobs but they are just harder to find. You can however in python use templating to generate static html pages like: Jinja or check out this: https://wiki.python.org/moin/Templating

I was hired doing just backend but started doing frontend, not that I super wanted to but it has grown on me. (we use VueJS which is picking up traction)

On 7/9/2019 at 5:45 AM, spirch said:

learn how to code, not a language

So important. The moment you realize this is the moment things begin to make sense.