Hey guys, I was shopping around on the NCIX site for a new laptop, also looked at ORIGIN PC (too expensive though), and Dell (well, the graphics section could use a little improvement). I was looking at a G75-RH71 (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=77456&vpn=G75VX-RH71-CA&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1021), I was just about to bite the bullet and buy it, but then I realized it has a 5200 mAh battery... and no optimus technology. I go to school about 6 hours a day and it's going to be on Wifi that entire time. I also do a little video editing, e-mails, and such at school, so performance is a must, Fast boot time is also a must (I heard 12 seconds on this laptop, but I can't seem to confirm it).

What I need:

Performance (raw agility, and being able to handle video editing, picture editing, and playing games in my spare time (sure...))

Speed (boot time, responsiveness, shutdown time)

Good battery Life

preferably not an intense price tag (i'm flexable in this, but i'm guessing that somewhere in the $1500 is going to be hitting the limits)

Durable (something that's not going to suddenly fall apart like my HP Compaq 6510b, and it's gotta last until i'm through University (so 4 years starting in 2014?))

What i'd like:

I'm a pretty big Nvidia fanboy, but i'd be willing to buy an ATI based laptop if the price is right, so a Geforce or Quadro card would be preferred

It would be great to have an intel processor as well, preferably a Corei7 but a Corei5 could be a possible step down if there's a good enough budget difference.

Full HD screen would be nice, but is totally not necessary, especially if the laptop is <15"

a non-individual key keyboard, (is it called chiclet, don't remember)

Hopefully you guys can help me find the perfect laptop, or at least point me in the right direction!

Thanks,

Calvin

I've read some reviews of the new Samsung Series 7 and they have been nothing but awesome responses. They both have 8870m GPU's and i7 CPU's, and the battery life is incredible for such powerful machines (5 hours on the 17" and 10.5 hours on the 15", based on the notebookcheck tests). However, this comes at quite a premium price, hitting around 1500€. If you have the budget, these laptops look awesome, but they'll probably hit your limit. Also, it only has a standard 5400 rpm HDD, which means slow boot times and the internal drives aren't easily replaced.

Another option is the Lenovo y500, which can be configured to 2x650m SLI (but only has a 3 hour battery), or the Lenovo y580, which has a 660m and good battery life (4.5 hours with simple browsing according to notebookcheck). If I remember correctly, they both have an mSATA slot, which means you could pop in a 64-128GB mSATA SSD as a boot drive and get your fast bootup.

Those are some of my suggestions, but I think you won't find a laptop that has 670m/i7 level of performance and has 6 hours of battery. 

HP laptops are generally quite cheap, and the exterior design is better than most. However, with mine, i've had to send it back for repair three times for issues with the graphics card. (It's an AMD graphics card, Intel CPU) I don't know if this is a problem with AMD or HP, but either way it was quite frustrating. But now, I have a laptop that is working just fine, and overall I am very happy. Even if it took them awhile, they did do the right thing and fixed it.

only problem I see is that with performance comes bulk and less battery life. If you want a gaming laptop buy one is you want a workstation buy one but its hard to find one that fit all the requirements. but i'm not saying it ont exist just that its going to be veyr hard to find. personally i would just  buy a mac book pro because it fits everything except your budget. baseline 15 inch mac book pro is 1,799 so its a bit pricy but fits everythign except vram is a bit small then baseline retnia is perfect but price is a bit high and you can always put windows 7 on it or 8 if your a fool LOL.

Hey op. Was in a similar bind as you before this last semster of school started, was sick and tired of my macbook pro so ditched it to get  (maybe this one idk, similar looking) but w/e one i got since the base price was cheap I got the processor upgrade as well as the graphics and pretty much every other upgrade. Even had enough money left over to pop an ssd inside (in addition to the msata one already included).

It's a pretty solid machine and deffinatley does what i need it to do (coding and run programs for coding). Good on the eyes. And addition to the cheap base price and cheap even after all upgrades HP has coupon codes all of the time for like $100 off. Cant go wrong imo. Build quality is nice to. only gripe is the resolution isnt 1080p

Wait a few months for haswell-based laptops! They should have a much longer battery life

I have a MSI GE60 and i use it all the time for my school work. its powerful like a beast. its light weight and slim compared to its competitors. plus it have an awesome keyboard made by steel series(the best i have seen on a laptop and even better than most desktop keyboards) and an awesome sound system (4-speakers). the screen is a non-gloss 1080p full HD screen in which text and images look very crisp and clear. mSATA SSD and More RAM upgrade options. not to mention  the awesome battery life even using full brightness.

i have used this for the last 5 months for college and form that 5 , for 3 months my Desktop gaming PC was down and i didnt even bothered to fix it because i had my Laptop.

specs are from NCIX.

CPU 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 3630QM Processor OS Genuine Windows® 8
(MSI recommends upgrade to Genuine Windows® 7 Professional) Chipset Intel® HM76 Memory 8GB DDR3 1333/1600MHz, 2 slots, Max. 16GB LCD Size 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) LED backlight, Anti-glare 15.6" HD (1366x768) LED backlight Graphics nVIDIA Geforce GTX660M 3D Graphic Card Graphics VRAM 2GB GDDR5 HDD (GB) 750GB SATA 7200/5400 rpm
  Optical Drive Super-Multi DVDRW Audio Audio Boost, 4(2Wx4)HD Speakers, THX True Studio Pro Webcam HD Webcam (30fps@720p) Card Reader SD(XC/HC)/MMC/MS(PRO)/xD LAN Killer Gaming Networking for priority online gaming Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/ n Bluetooth v4.0 D-Sub (VGA) 1 HDMI 1 USB 2.0 port 2 USB 3.0 port 2 eSATA N/A eSATA/USB Combo N/A Mic-in/Headphone-out 1 /1 Line-in N/A Express Card N/A Modem port N/A Keyboard Keyboard by SteelSeries 103 keys Sensor N/A AC Adapter 120W Battery 6 Cells Power Management N/A Dimension 383 x 249.5 x 37.6~32.3mm Weight (KG) 2.4Kg (w/ Battery)