Alternatives to iMac.

chriswilsonalpha

I switched to iMac about 14 years ago, and to be honest I've been very happy with it but I'm looking to upgrade from my 27" i5 16gb iMac to something that will handle Photoshop a little better.

I've been looking for something along these lines...

I9

32gb ram

2tb hard drive

Capable graphics card

How much really should I be paying for such a unit? It's been so long since I messed with PC I'm completely out of the loop.

Also I need a good recommendation for a monitor that will at least equal my iMac retina display. I do like the look of the 24:9 ultra wide displays.

The computer will mostly be used for photography work and I may as well use it for gaming too and lose the Xbox. 

4 minutes ago, chriswilsonalpha said:

I switched to iMac about 14 years ago, and to be honest I've been very happy with it but I'm looking to upgrade from my 27" i5 16gb iMac to something that will handle Photoshop a little better.

I've been looking for something along these lines...

I9

32gb ram

2tb hard drive

Capable graphics card

How much really should I be paying for such a unit? It's been so long since I messed with PC I'm completely out of the loop.

Also I need a good recommendation for a monitor that will at least equal my iMac retina display. I do like the look of the 24:9 ultra wide displays.

The computer will mostly be used for photography work and I may as well use it for gaming too and lose the Xbox. 

All you need, right here

https://www.bsicomputer.com/products/portable-lunchbox-computer-1430

(This post may, or may not, be said in jest)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, chriswilsonalpha said:

iMac to something that will handle Photoshop a little better.

There is a difference between getting something that will handle photoshop a little better and going to the most expensive consumer Intel CPU on the market. 

Are you interested in building the computer for yourself or would you rather buy something all at once that is already built for you? What about another new iMac? What is your budget? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

All you need, right here

https://www.bsicomputer.com/products/portable-lunchbox-computer-1430

(This post may, or may not, be said in jest)

That costs 4 grand for a laptop with foldout displays. By far the single worst recommendation I've ever seen on this forum. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

There is a difference between getting something that will handle photoshop a little better and going to the most expensive consumer Intel CPU on the market. 

Are you interested in building the computer for yourself or would you rather buy something all at once that is already built for you? What about another new iMac? What is your budget? 

I'd rather just buy a base and add the monitor and accessories separately.

I know i9 may be overkill but why not go a little future proof.

My budget is around £2000 all in.

12 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

Thanks for all that info it's very much appreciated.. however I've never been too keen on them. I do love my iMac and osx but i think I'm just ready for a change. A couple of the benefits I had with iMac are kind of mute now. I'll have a read through that list now

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

That costs 4 grand for a laptop with foldout displays. By far the single worst recommendation I've ever seen on this forum. 

Whoosh

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.