Need help with i5-8600k hitting 100% during gaming

Hello, I have recently upgraded my PC and my new CPU(i5-8600k) is getting to 100% whilst gaming. I have a 1080 so this shouldn't be an issue. I have no idea what the issue is, any help would be appreciated. 

What games? I also had 8600k for some times, but upgraded to 8700k for the same reason as yours. It was hitting 90%+ load in games like AC Odyssey, BF5 etc. 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

You are getting to 100% on your CPU because you have a good GPU which can fully utilise it.

Essentially, the CPU is the bottleneck in your system when gaming. It's not necessarily a bad thing to use 100% of your CPU, but it means your GPU is probably not being fully taken advantage of.

1 minute ago, DezGalbie said:

You are getting to 100% on your CPU because you have a good GPU which can fully utilise it.

Essentially, the CPU is the bottleneck in your system when gaming. It's not necessarily a bad thing to use 100% of your CPU, but it means your GPU is probably not being fully taken advantage of.

it is a problem because you usually have stuttering and lag and freezing in game when your CPU hits 100% usage while gaming. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

What games? I also had 8600k for some times, but upgraded to 8700k for the same reason as yours. It was hitting 90%+ load in games like AC Odyssey, BF5 etc. 

All games that I play, so just modern titles r6s cs:go ect. 

3 minutes ago, DezGalbie said:

Would an overclock help? I have my cpu on the default settings atm.

@kieth4 are the games running smoothly? If so it's not that big of a problem 

1 minute ago, Medicate said:

@kieth4 are the games running smoothly? If so it's not that big of a problem 

Sometimes I experience stutters. 

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

it is a problem because you usually have stuttering and lag and freezing in game when your CPU hits 100% usage while gaming. 

You can have that, yes, but not necessarily. So it really depends on the experience he is having and how much of the power of that 1080 he is missing out on.

1 minute ago, kieth4 said:

Would an overclock help? I have my cpu on the default settings atm.

An overclock should help, yeah. But a good overclock can only do so much. I'd say it's certainly worth trying anyway and seeing what that does to the utilisation percentages of both CPU and GPU.

38 minutes ago, kieth4 said:

All games that I play, so just modern titles r6s cs:go ect. 

R6S makes sense to be using 100% but cs:go is an older title and should not be having problems on an 8600k

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Its just the nature of games these days. 6c/6t CPUs are slowly but surely going obsolete in modern games. Overclock will help, but it can only help so much.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Assuming everything else in the system is good, weak cpu issues. 

Running 16 gigs of memory at 3000hz or so?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Squeezing another 10-15% out each CPU core wouldn't hurt trying though...

For those Particular games that stutter...esp with highFPS games..
Setting an FPS cap just 10-20FPS below your typical Averages, saving slight CPU cycles, and employing a more steady state frametime plot?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz