ensure that a dual+ channel XMP BIOS profile is enabled

lewi2999

Hello, I have an HP z230 with 16gb micron ram, gtx 1050ti and i74770. I recently ran a user benchmark benchmark, everything was good apart from the ram, where it said "Performing below potential (32nd percentile) - ensure that a dual+ channel XMP BIOS profile is enabled" I am not familiar with what this is telling me, I am not sure whether its some I have to do physically to fix or something on the computer. Any help or info will be much appreciated.

Thanks

What speed is your RAM supposed to run at?  1866?  2133?  Faster?  Grab CPU-Z and check the memory tab.  It should say "dual" in the channel area, and it will also tell you the speed in the DRAM Frequency area.  Note that the speed it lists will be half what you're actually running at, so 1600 memory would show as 800 MHz.  This is because of the double in double data rate.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

In task manger it says 1600 as Speed, and it’s a ddr3 machine not ddr4

yeah I figured it was DDR3 based on the 4770 :P

1600 is something of a default, I would expect it to run that as a minimum.  The question is, is that the intended speed or can it run faster by enabling an XMP profile?  If so, that would be why you got that message and a low score.  Userbenchmark is comparing your RAM to others with the same memory, and if other people are running it at the full speed but you've got it sitting at the slower default, that would explain it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:23 AM, lewi2999 said:

how do you enable XMP?

The option will be in your BIOS settings.  The exact position and method varies by board though.  It occurs to me that it's possible an OEM board might lock that down but I can't guarantee anything.  If this ram came with the system it is doubtful that they'd have included memory which can operate above stock, meaning there's no need and this doesn't explain the initial question.  If this ram was something you bought yourself later, you'll know what speed it's rated for and can easily compare that against the speed reported in CPUZ as I mentioned to know if it's worth going though all this.  If it is, best of luck!