Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
garrettmb

2nd PC build, need some insight

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

This would probably be a better option, as it has additional (12) power phases, allowing for the load to be spread out amongst more VRMs, meaning that your VRMs will be less susceptible to thermal fatigue. (plus it just looks cooler)

Yeah, it definitely looks cooler. seems to have more sturdy parts on it also. Let me know what you think about the AORUS pro i linked above as it has a similar price point with that sale.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, garrettmb said:

I also found a decent Aorus on sale, if you think that has decent heatsinks and will pair well with my system, not much more expensive https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Z390-AORUS-PRO-Motherboard/dp/B07HRZKPXM/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=gigabyte+auros&qid=1560292487&s=gateway&sr=8-4

 

I'd trust a 9900k with that thing... but it isn't really necessary for your use to be honest...


PSU Tier List//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

 

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

 

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

 

Laptop: Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'd trust a 9900k with that thing... but it isn't really necessary for your use to be honest...

I'm just looking to future-proof my PC a bit in case i get a higher-end processor later down the road. And since it had a pretty big sale on it i looked at it as an option :)

(also since it seemed to have a pretty solid price for what it was offering)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, garrettmb said:

I'm just looking to future-proof my PC a bit in case i get a higher-end processor later down the road. And since it had a pretty big sale on it i looked at it as an option :)

(also since it seemed to have a pretty solid price for what it was offering)

if you want to do that... go ryzen

 

we have 16c on the am4 platform now


PSU Tier List//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

 

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

 

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

 

Laptop: Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

if you want to do that... go ryzen

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING/dp/B07BZ239Z2/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=gigabyte+auros+am4&qid=1560294375&s=gateway&sr=8-2

So if i were to get this MOBO, with a Ryzen 3 2200g. And then save up to upgrade for a much better ryzen 3000 (when they are released), would this be a good motherboard for some of the middle-high teir ryzen 3000's do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garrettmb said:

Yeah, it definitely looks cooler. seems to have more sturdy parts on it also. Let me know what you think about the AORUS pro i linked above as it has a similar price point with that sale.

Looks great to me! But if you want to be future proof AM4 is the way to go, as Intel is likely to release a new socket, making it so that you will have to buy a new MOBO to upgrade to their next gen processors.


In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It's not the connector, you would need to go LN2 or something like that on K processor to max out the that 8 pin connector, where the issue lies is with insufficient power capacity of B360 HD3's 7 (or 6+1, the specs don't say) phase power delivery, the pro 4 has 11 (or 10+1) phases and is capable of providing plenty of power to all 8th gen 1151v2 processors, and to my knowledge all 9th gen processors with a lower TDP than the 9700.

The z370 Pro4 has a 4 phase VRM for the CPU just like the HD3, it just has double the mosfets which only slightly improves it.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Zotac GTX 1070ti Mini RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, garrettmb said:

Do you think the Ryzen 3600 will have better single core performance then the Intel I7-8700?

Yeah, in all honestly the coolermaster seemed sorta garbage for it's price.

Also, since the B360 is pretty cheap, do you think i could squeeze in a slightly better MOBO (for looks and performance :p)?

It’s possible, as the single core performance difference now isn’t massive. The safe bet is to wait and see how Ryzen 3000 is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe like this :

 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VWfY3b

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($129.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card  ($479.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.13 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.88 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1225.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-11 21:23 EDT-0400

 

if to over price, just switch storage with 1/2 TB space, price around 50$.

don't forget to turn on xmp memory profile by BIOS mode , to get running 3600mhz ram.

sry if bad english, this is my first time, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ahmad13610 said:

maybe like this :

 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VWfY3b

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($129.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card  ($479.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.13 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.88 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1225.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-11 21:23 EDT-0400

 

if to over price, just switch storage with 1/2 TB space, price around 50$.

don't forget to turn on xmp memory profile by BIOS mode , to get running 3600mhz ram.

sry if bad english, this is my first time, thank you.

This doesn’t even have an SSD

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

This doesn’t even have an SSD

i think for gaming ssd not important, hdd 7200RPM SATA 3 is more enough. or can be second priority. ssd can be big impact when seriously work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ahmad13610 said:

i think for gaming ssd not important, hdd 7200RPM SATA 3 is more enough. or can be second priority. ssd can be big impact when seriously work.

It’s not a big deal for gaming, but for everything else like boot time and launching programs and day to day speed, it’s massive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, garrettmb said:

My budget is pref under $1200, going to be using is for gaming, and some video editing (as well as web browsing of course). Currently running 2 somewhat basic monitors.

 

I put together some things on pc part picker but I want a second opinion to whether all of the parts will work nicely together or not. Thanks :)

 

Decent build, apart from bad timings for buying new CPUs. 3rd gen Ryzen's 6 core, 8 core and 12 core should be available for retail in sometime July.

 

20 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:
I changed it to a lower end z370, which should hopefully last longer. And I was wrong, the B360 is not capable of supplying enough power for your CPU and would bottleneck it, (it has even been found to bottleneck the 8400) I apologize for the confusion.

VRM has nothing to do with chipset. Can totally have garbage on Z370 or even X299 by X299 standards

18 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

one of the worst z370's I've seen...

At least it has VRM heatsink of some sort

4 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It's not the connector, you would need to go LN2 or something like that on K processor to max out the that 8 pin connector, where the issue lies is with insufficient power capacity of B360 HD3's 7 (or 6+1, the specs don't say) phase power delivery, the pro 4 has 11 (or 10+1) phases and is capable of providing plenty of power to all 8th gen 1151v2 processors, and to my knowledge all 9th gen processors with a lower TDP than the 9700.

brilliant way of counting phases, board makers must be proud. HD3's voltage controller can do 4+3 at most, Pro4's can do 4+2 max.

3 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well the Prime does come with some creature comforts, such as onboard power switch, RGB, and a better heatsink for the MOSFETs, though most of these features would be of no use to the OP.

Except in LTT channel's testing with 8700k and 8600k at stock the Z370-A still thermal throttled to the point that 8600k is faster. Note that 8700 and 8700k run the same all core boost at stock

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

prime has one of the worst vrms, a horrible, if any heatsink, yet asus sells it at a premium

 

that's why i kinda hate them

I think he's talking about Z370-A, which already has one of the better (if not the best in terms of mass to surface area ratio) heatsink for the entire VRM for the CPU among cheap-ish Z370 and Z390 boards.

3 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

This would probably be a better option, as it has additional (12) power phases, allowing for the load to be spread out amongst more VRMs, meaning that your VRMs will be less susceptible to thermal fatigue. (plus it just looks cooler)

1. Excellent phase counting

 

2. At that point you might as well use an 8600k/9600k

24 minutes ago, ahmad13610 said:

i think for gaming ssd not important, hdd 7200RPM SATA 3 is more enough. or can be second priority. ssd can be big impact when seriously work.

SSD is important in just starting the machine itself. For $1200 budget there's zero reason not to use an SSD, heck even $500 builds are seen with 120gb SSDs for how cheap they are now going for.


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I've put this together, going to go with a cheap "good-enough" cpu and save up for a higher end Ryzen 3000 series processor when they come out. Thanks for all your help guys :)

 

p.s. - if you notice any incompatibilities in this list let me know

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garrettmb said:

I've put this together, going to go with a cheap "good-enough" cpu and save up for a higher end Ryzen 3000 series processor when they come out. Thanks for all your help guys :)

 

p.s. - if you notice any incompatibilities in this list let me know

No point getting a 2200G when the 1600 or 2600 are only tens of dollars more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garrettmb said:

I've put this together, going to go with a cheap "good-enough" cpu and save up for a higher end Ryzen 3000 series processor when they come out. Thanks for all your help guys :)

 

p.s. - if you notice any incompatibilities in this list let me know

Here, I would recommend this.

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($147.83 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($75.61 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Patriot - Burst 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($45.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.30 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING Video Card  ($698.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1209.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-12 00:00 EDT-0400

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Here, I would recommend this.

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($147.83 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($75.61 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Patriot - Burst 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($45.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.30 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING Video Card  ($698.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1209.59

Well, i like the idea of the 2080, but i like the aesthetics and future-proofing that my build has. (Not to mention I don't need the 2080's graphics capabilities anyway especially if i'm sacrificing some motherboard capabilities)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garrettmb said:

I've put this together, going to go with a cheap "good-enough" cpu and save up for a higher end Ryzen 3000 series processor when they come out. Thanks for all your help guys :)

 

p.s. - if you notice any incompatibilities in this list let me know

for prepare new generation ryzen, i suggesting like this :
 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hkvztg

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($83.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX S5 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($709.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($41.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($82.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1208.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-12 02:01 EDT-0400

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ahmad13610 said:

for prepare new generation ryzen, i suggesting like this :
 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hkvztg

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($83.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX S5 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($709.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($41.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($82.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1208.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-12 02:01 EDT-0400

 

Yeah pair a high end gpu with a low end cpu. Seriously just stop with the bad build suggestions.


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Yeah pair a high end gpu with a low end cpu. Seriously just stop with the bad build suggestions.

Yeah, thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm perfectly fine with a decent RTX 2070 or RTX 2060. I don't need all the power that a 2080 offers, and would rather put my money into other things. (namely: my processor, case, MOBO, ram)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×