Driver installation after windows installation: Laptop vs Desktop PC

Rakanoth

Greetings,

My laptops' drivers were already installed after I re-installed Windows 10 from the scratch. I mean I had deleted everything everything on the laptop before reinstalling Windows 10 1903. There was no data or files related to the drivers during Windows installation. But this never happened to me for Windows 10 installations on my desktop PC. I always had to manually install all the drivers (LAN, bluetooth, chipset etc.). Why did this happen that way?

Does Microsoft ship all the related drivers with Windows? If that's the case, does Windows installations include every driver possible for all the laptops out there? This can't be possible as the installation data would be huge.

I installed Windows 10 with media creation tool. Maybe, the related drivers were put into the USB drive when I was using the media creation tool from Microsoft and the media creation tool can detect the laptop model and manufacturer and pull them from Microsoft repositories and put them into the Windows installation on the USB drive during the creation of the installation drive.

If the vendor submitted drivers to Microsoft, then they will be available and installed.  However, they often aren't the latest ones.  Most laptop vendors have an update utility that will scan the installed drivers and let you install newer versions, if it exists.  Windows 10 does include an impressive amount of drivers to get you started.  As a future tip, always have at least the network drivers downloaded and on a separate drive, like a flash drive.  Then, regardless of what's detected or not, you can still get online to update the rest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 4:15 PM, DeaconFrost said:

If the vendor submitted drivers to Microsoft, then they will be available and installed.  However, they often aren't the latest ones.  Most laptop vendors have an update utility that will scan the installed drivers and let you install newer versions, if it exists.  Windows 10 does include an impressive amount of drivers to get you started.  As a future tip, always have at least the network drivers downloaded and on a separate drive, like a flash drive.  Then, regardless of what's detected or not, you can still get online to update the rest.

Thank you very much. Very informative. Do you know for sure if the media creation tool uses your laptop model to download necessary drivers from Microsoft and to pack them into the Windows 10 installation USB?

The media creation tool does downloads the latest updates and drivers required by your system if those are available before preparing the medium to upgrade your system. 
W10 Does contains a fairly large amount of basic drivers for devices and will also tend to download latest versions through windows update once installation is done. You can also try using something like driver booster or such to download the latest drivers for your hardware at once.