Ethernet over Coax?

Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
3 hours ago, Azriel said:

So I have DirecTV and this is how the router/modem is set up. I can't run an ethernet cable to my room, so I was wondering if there was a way if I could use ethernet over coaxial with the outlet in my room. I was looking at this but I was wondering if it was a good option. I'll take any idea you guys have. Wireless really isn't cutting it

Looks like you have DSL. As long as thats the case, then Deca adapters should work. Though I think they are limited to 100 Mbps. 

So I have DirecTV and this is how the router/modem is set up. I can't run an ethernet cable to my room, so I was wondering if there was a way if I could use ethernet over coaxial with the outlet in my room. I was looking at this but I was wondering if it was a good option. I'll take any idea you guys have. Wireless really isn't cutting it

6 minutes ago, Azriel said:

It looks like it would work but I don’t know try checking moca adapters

4 minutes ago, mtz_federico said:

It looks like it would work but I don’t know try checking moca adapters

I've looked into moca adapters but most of them seem really expensive compared to the idea I was looking at. If mine doesn't work though I would have to dole out the cash so that I can have some reliable good speeds.

50 minutes ago, Azriel said:

[...] I'll take any idea you guys have. Wireless really isn't cutting it

Hi, I have seen ethernet to coax adapters online, but they are quite expensive (also you already mentioned).
Depending on your home's room layout, there might be other possibilities. It also depends on whether you own the place or have just rented it.

What are the "obstacles" (walls, hallways, ceiling etc) between your router and your room? Do those two rooms both have windows that are close to each other (that would make it possible to run an outdoor-grade ethernet cable from window to window)?

I am sure some people will also mention PowerLAN, but having tried it I can't really recommend it, I experienced regular connection losses even though my the conditions at my home were almost perfect for PowerLAN.

14 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

Hi, I have seen ethernet to coax adapters online, but they are quite expensive (also you already mentioned).
Depending on your home's room layout, there might be other possibilities. It also depends on whether you own the place or have just rented it.

What are the "obstacles" (walls, hallways, ceiling etc) between your router and your room? Do those two rooms both have windows that are close to each other (that would make it possible to run an outdoor-grade ethernet cable from window to window)?

I am sure some people will also mention PowerLAN, but having tried it I can't really recommend it, I experienced regular connection losses even though my the conditions at my home were almost perfect for PowerLAN.

Well, I don't own my home since it's my parents, but I doubt that they would be happy to let me run the cable outdoors. Do you know if the item I linked from Amazon would work? 

1 minute ago, Azriel said:

Well, I don't own my home since it's my parents, but I doubt that they would be happy to let me run the cable outdoors. Do you know if the item I linked from Amazon would work? 

I have never tried ethernet over coax personally, but it should work in theory. I cannot tell you whether a specific converter will work well or not, I would suggest looking for reviews to make that determination.

I know the outdoor cable might not be that pretty, but maybe you could convince your parents to try it out, at least until you can find a better solution or save some money for it. These outdoor ethernet cables usually have a black, UV resistant coating and can also be neatly mounted in order to minimize the impact on the building's overall appearance. I myself opted for that solution while I was still living at my parents' place and it was cheap, easy to do and worked perfectly.

Here is a LinusTechTips video that shows one way of doing that: 

Keep in mind that you can also avoid drilling through the wall by using special flat cables that can go through your windows and be removed at any time without causing any damage.

There is also one other thing that just crossed my mind: what kind of cable connection does your internet provider use? Do you maybe have a similar outlet in your room so that you could just move the router to your room? I guess that solution might only be viable if there are no devices that need the router are present at its current location. 

9 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

I have never tried ethernet over coax personally, but it should work in theory. I cannot tell you whether a specific converter will work well or not, I would suggest looking for reviews to make that determination.

I know the outdoor cable might not be that pretty, but maybe you could convince your parents to try it out, at least until you can find a better solution or save some money for it. These outdoor ethernet cables usually have a black, UV resistant coating and can also be neatly mounted in order to minimize the impact on the building's overall appearance. I myself opted for that solution while I was still living at my parents' place and it was cheap, easy to do and worked perfectly.

Here is a LinusTechTips video that shows one way of doing that: 

Keep in mind that you can also avoid drilling through the wall by using special flat cables that can go through your windows and be removed at any time without causing any damage.

There is also one other thing that just crossed my mind: what kind of cable connection does your internet provider use? Do you maybe have a similar outlet in your room so that you could just move the router to your room? I guess that solution might only be viable if there are no devices that need the router are present at its current location. 

I actually just watched that video lol, but thank you nonetheless! I'll take everything you said into consideration. You have been very helpful. The outdoor cable will have to be a last resort though : /

Looks like you have DSL. As long as thats the case, then Deca adapters should work. Though I think they are limited to 100 Mbps. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

How do I know if I am using DSL? Could you tell by the picture because this really isn't my expertise? 

7 hours ago, Azriel said:

How do I know if I am using DSL? Could you tell by the picture because this really isn't my expertise? 

Cable Internet is over Coax, DSL is over Phone lines.It looks like your using phone lines for this. 

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Cable Internet is over Coax, DSL is over Phone lines.It looks like your using phone lines for this. 

Sorry for all the questions and this late response, but what is the use of the coaxial cable that is plugged into the DirecTV box that has the blue/purple ethernet cable plugged into the router? The picture is linked in my first post.

Sorry for all the questions and this late response, but what is the use of the coaxial cable that is plugged into the DirecTV box that has the blue/purple ethernet cable plugged into the router? The picture is linked in my first post.

Its to provide the DECA adapters with an internet connection. Probably for On Demand content or something to that degree. The Deca adapters might also help with Whole Home DVR. I know for the fact thats what the Cable Company uses Moca for. 

if you have a phone line in your room, you could possibly move the dsl up there and then use your existing coax to feed the from the deca module back to the direct tv splitter.  although you would have to identify what coax the deca is connected to now and switch that port with the one from your room.

If you are willing to pay the price, MoCA is a great solution. The 2.0 version can get speeds up to 1gpbs (note though that that is only one way, if you use both upload and download at the same time you'll be limited to 500/500), and works pretty well (have been using for the past few years).

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.