Msi X370 gaming pro carbon hot vrm

I wanted to try an 8 core ryzen before ryzen 3000 so i changed my ryzen 2600X (4.1ghz) to a ryzen 1700 at 3.9ghz

I know from a review i read after i bought the mb, that the vrm can get pretty hot on my msi x370 gaming pro carbon i also bought since i somehow had problems with my x470 mb. 

New msi mb can get pretty toasty oc'ed to 4ghz  https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8175/msi-x370-gaming-pro-carbon-motherboard-review/index10.html   Anything under 60C is great, 60-80C is acceptable, and anything above 80C is a bit worrisome (if at stock). So fare so good since i keep my ryzen 1700 at 3.9ghz. Max temperature under prime 95 can get above 80c but it's oc'ed and has so much power i won't need it when i game on a 1080p 144hz monitor with a factory oced asus rtx 2060 strix.

My case is a define r6 with 2x140 mm fans, 1 on the front bottom as intake an 1 as a rear exhaust fan close to the i/o panel, in the front there's a coolermaster Masterliquid lite 240 with 2 scythe mugen 5 fans.

case fans runnging at 600 rpm and cpu fans just under 450 rpm and doing it even when temps are 60c in prime 95 small fft raising to 63 ish at a time of the day where it's not hot (pretty good).

Questions

Would a 120mm fan in the top of my case with the top and fan filter on running at very low rpm, do anything for my vrm? Low rpm an with the top on for silence.

One intake fan at the top and close to it an exhaust fan, that won't do much for my vrm, since most of the air from the top is sucked out of my pc before it reaches the vrm ? ? ?

I have tried lowering and lowering the vcore to an extend i never thought possible, from 152watt to 120watt or somewhere above 1.300 volt down to 1.200 volt peaking at 1.216 volt. Did i won the silicone lottery ?

https://valid.x86.fr/v0vt72

https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

I would try to mount a small fan near the VRM heatsink to try and blow some air over it.

MSI's AM4 boards aren't necessarily known for having cool VRMs...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would try to mount a small fan near the VRM heatsink to try and blow some air over it.

MSI's AM4 boards aren't necessarily known for having cool VRMs...

I don't think labeling all their AM4 boards as bad is fair.. It's mostly their B350 and X370 lineup that sucks.. They have the best B450 boards (Tomahawk & Pro Carbon) and some decent X470 boards that's up there with the rest.. I wouldn't buy anything but MSI if my budget only allowed for a B450..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Just now, ch3w2oy said:

I don't think labeling all their AM4 boards as bad is fair.. It's mostly their B350 and X370 lineup that sucks.. They have the best B450 boards (Tomahawk & Pro Carbon) and some decent X470 boards that's up there with the rest.. I wouldn't buy anything but MSI if my budget only allowed for a B450..

That's a fair point.

I was a little distracted at the time, so I didn't specify which boards are good and bad. It was easier to list all them as a majority the way I did rather than specify all the ones that are good.

Thanks for pointing that out though, I appreciate it :)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

what influence does core speed and vcore have on the vrms?

Im not shure what the temps are when i game but doing prime 95 i noticed that SYSTIN and Mainboard peaking above 80c so SYSTIN or Mainboard is a sensor close to the vrm? (HwMonitor) 

Is HWMonitor good enough to monitor vrm temps or is there anything better?

49 minutes ago, gasolin said:

what influence does core speed and vcore have on the vrms?

Im not shure what the temps are when i game but doing prime 95 i noticed that SYSTIN and Mainboard peaking above 80c so SYSTIN or Mainboard is a sensor close to the vrm? (HwMonitor) 

Is HWMonitor good enough to monitor vrm temps or is there anything better?

HWInfo > Sensors Only is way better.. 

VRMs are one of the most important aspects of a motherboard as their quality directly impacts the quality/quantity of the voltage sent to components on your motherboard.. Your board has crappy ones which will limit the CPUs and the overclocks you can use on that board.. By a lot, unfortunately.. 

I would not use that board for a 3000 series CPU.. I wouldn't have even put an 8 core CPU in it.. MSI fucked that whole generation of boards up.. I think a lot of manufacturers thought Ryen was going to be a repeat of bulldozer.. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

1 hour ago, ch3w2oy said:

HWInfo > Sensors Only is way better.. 

VRMs are one of the most important aspects of a motherboard as their quality directly impacts the quality/quantity of the voltage sent to components on your motherboard.. Your board has crappy ones which will limit the CPUs and the overclocks you can use on that board.. By a lot, unfortunately.. 

I would not use that board for a 3000 series CPU.. I wouldn't have even put an 8 core CPU in it.. MSI fucked that whole generation of boards up.. I think a lot of manufacturers thought Ryen was going to be a repeat of bulldozer.. 

Sorry to hear that 

When i had a x470 mb i couldn't get  to boot (might still work), i had a very limited option to what i could buy for a reasonable price, when i wanted one the same day.

I played project cars 2 while having a twitch stream and HWMonitor on my second monitor (both 1080p 144hz) the temps on SYSTIN and Mainboard  were in the mid 50's (54) when it's not hot, around 21c ambient temps.

I could sell both in a few month to upgrade to ryzen 3000 or just settle with an 6 core ryzen 3000 and oc as much as possible, they have said that a 6 core should boost up to 4.4ghz with a tdp of 65 watt (the same tdp as a stock ryzen 1700) and 8 cores up to 4.8ghz should only have a tdp of 95watt . So im hoping a 6 core at 4.2-4.3ghz on all core only have a tdp of 95 watt so my rtx 2060 can be used to it's full potential.

Reason for me trying an 8 core cpu was to get an idea if i should buy an 8 core ryzen 3000, to see if my asus prime x470 pro could handle 8 core, it also have to some degree hot vrm and having a different cpu i could oc it to try to find it's limit, testi, use it untill theres a good deal on a ryzen 3000.

Unfortunately i had to buy a new mb and do to the top m.2 slot being under the gpu and the bottom m.2 slot having half the speed because it's only PCIe 2.0 x4, a new normal sata ssd (don't notice any performance difference) but double the size.

So fare im very impressed that i could lower vcore that much and still run my corsair 3000mhz cl 15 at 3466mhz cl 16

I had my ryzen 2600x at 1.352 volt at 4ghz (1.384volt or higher at 4.1ghz)  at 3.9ghz my ryzen 1700 only needs 1.200 volt, that's impressive.

Ryzen 2600x

https://valid.x86.fr/vn4kgt

Current ryzen 1700

https://valid.x86.fr/jft7ka

Different ryzen 1700 (what a difference in vcore)

https://valid.x86.fr/ninigf

My 2600 and B450 Gaming Pro Carbon run fine @ stock, 81C 15 minutes of prime95 VRMs never going above 50. Have a Mugen 5 rev B coming in the mail to help cool it @ 4ghz. Gets up to 90C or around there with the stealth cooler.

Not sure why AMD included the spire with the 1600 then downgraded to the stealth with the 2600. The 1600 is even a 65w chip, same as 2600.

Package power reaches >85w stock so they should've given the spire IMO. Goes over 120w @ 4ghz

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

I have a x370 gaming pro carbon with a r5 1600 4ghz oc and 1.43v, cpu is always under 65c and vrm temps also never go over 70c. 

cpu is water coolled 360mm loop. 

LLC vcor and NB are at lvl 1

I just wanna monitor vrm temps but don't seem to find software that can show vrm temps, if possible

In prim95 samll fft for some reason it freezes, so i raised vcore by x1  to 1.2125volt

ryzen 1600 4ghz and 1.43 volt that's a bit extreme compared to 3.9ghz and 1.2125 volt

Update 100 rpm more on the exhaust fan, im peaking at 1.232 volt at 3.9ghz, 84c on Mainboard, SYSTIN and 130watt doing prime 95 small fft after 22 min, cpu 550 rpm and very stable 63c (masterliquid lite 240 with mugen 5 fans, very impressive, 77% on the pump for silence) ambient temp above 22c or higher

No power settings enabled so ghz and vcore is stable at a constant value

8 core 16 threads i would never come close to 100% usage doing games.

6 core 12 thread ryzen 3000 65watt tdp at 4ghz should be possible or 95watt tdp at 4.2ghz

even a 3.8/4.4ghz 12 core should be a 95 watt tdp cpu 

@gasolin if it freezes then it’s a unstable overclock.

do you still have your X470 board? A 2600x like you had should work - did you do any troubleshooting before buying the 1700+X370?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

I still have the x470 mb but i have to test it again to see if it works.

Could just be the cpu not having full contact with the socket, if it still doesn't work i will rma it.

I don't have the 2600x anymore.

I tried alot to make the x470 mb work with the ryzen 1700, somehow it wouldn't.

the VRM temps seem fine. 80*C isnt worrysome. if it got into the 100-120*C then its worrysome, but the VRM would throttle at that point. a standard VRM can handle up to around 125*C. 

Update: tried my asus mb

At first it was working fine, suddenly only the cpu opt fan would show fan speed and temps were -1 c

Yes it would boot but when something clearly isn't working i didn't want to use it.

Mouted a 120mm in the top at low rpm just about 360 rpm (exhaust), lowered core speed til 3.7ghz and vcore 1.200-1.250 ish

Temps is peaking at 93c on the SYSTIN and Mainboard after 23 min of prime 95 small fft, cpu 71c (stable), all on a hot day with the msi x370 carbon pro mb, i just need to adjust fan speed and vcore, core speed  

Now i know for shure  that i would only go for the 6 core 12 thread ryzen 3000

When many sites say Ryzen 3 3300X—6C/12T, 3.5GHz to 4.3GHz, 65W TDP, $129

Ryzen 3 3300—6C/12T, 3.2GHz to 4.0GHz, 50W TDP, $99 i should be more than fine at 4.3ghz and i guess no more than 95watt tdp, 95 watt tdp is as much as a Ryzen 7 3700—12C/24T, 3.8GHz to 4.6GHz.

From my experince with my 2600x i know 4.2-4.3 ghz would use my rtx 2060 to it's full potiential

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-3000-release-date-price-specs-and-everything-we-know/

Now i have more airflow

3x120mm in the front and 1x140mm in the rear, still 2 cpu fans

Before 2x140mm one of each type and 2 cpu fans

Now my mb cant see the speed of my define r5 case fan ?

If it aint broken don't fix ít

Update i can not hear my fans much more, even when i had an aio it was more slient but hotter  vrm.

3.9ghz around 1.300volt (have to lower it more) stable 73c on my cpu ?

Ambient temps about 24c, cpu atm stable at 72c, SYSTIN Mainboard 86-87c with a bit to high vcore pekating at 1.296volt all after 25 min

Solution more airflow, lower vcore a bit more so it peaks at max 1.252 volt, stay at 3.9ghz, tweak case fans