I want a Laptop style Monitor / Keyboard for my Desktop.

zombienerd

I've been waiting years for someone to design a monitor with keyboard in a laptop form factor that I could plug into a Desktop PC.  This would be perfect for bedroom gaming, couch gaming, etc.

My bedroom laptop died, and I resurrected my old janky lap desk idea.  I built a temporary "gaming" rig out of scrap parts I had laying around (Phenom II 955 with 16gb and a GTX 750).

Currently, my bedroom PC "Lap Desk" is a piece of OSB, skinned in Vinyl, with a 19" monitor screwed to it with drywall screws, and a cheap keyboard/mouse.   I've used some iteration of this type of setup for 8 out of the last 10 years.  I'm tired of having 6-7 lbs on my lap. 

What I really want is a lightweight LCD with a moderately acceptable keyboard attached on a hinge, with a USB cable and a HDMI/DP port. I'd even be okay if it required a wall wart for power, lol.  Is that too much to ask?

EDIT - I'm aware of the $400-600 Console Monitor/Keyboard combos for server racks.  Those things weigh more than my current ugly setup, and cost about 4x what they should.

IMG_20190511_161533646.jpg

IMG_20190511_161621311.jpg

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

i don't think a retail product like this exists, however it doesn't seem too far-fetched of an idea. I have a lightweight 'portable' monitor that I DIY'd using a laptop monitor and some MDF board.The whole things weighs all of like half a pound, and i've attached a clip-on usb speaker to the top to make it into a small television. It may be possible to take a used laptop and gut the internals, but i'm not sure how you would get the keyboard to work.

This is the video I followed to make the portable monitor. Basically, you just buy a used/replacement part laptop screen off ebay or craigslist and buy an accompanying video-out PCB that it connects to. Then all you need is a power adapter and video cables and you're good to go.    

From what I can gather, you basically want a dummy laptop that interfaces with your desktop. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm not aware of anything like that, however you could use a laptop and Steam In-Home Streaming as a possible solution. (Game runs on your desktop, but you control it and view it with a laptop)

Alternatively, you could get a portable monitor and a keyboard then make something to have them act like a laptop.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm fairly decent at design, and I have no doubt I could create this product myself, I just wouldn't ever have the funds to actually have such a beast produced lol... Maybe I should start a kickfarter for it lol.

I am tired of Janky, and just want something simple, elegant, and purpose built that does what I want it to.  

Didn't even think of speakers, that would be a nice feature.

Main Rig:

IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Just now, TheKDub said:

From what I can gather, you basically want a dummy laptop that interfaces with your desktop. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm not aware of anything like that, however you could use a laptop and Steam In-Home Streaming as a possible solution. (Game runs on your desktop, but you control it and view it with a laptop)

That's how I was running things until my 10 year old Compaq died a few days ago.  I had in-home streaming from my primary gaming rig (specs in signature) - and had full desktop control using a dummy "game" (Notepad.exe)  in steam lol.

Main Rig:

14 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

I'm fairly decent at design, and I have no doubt I could create this product myself, I just wouldn't ever have the funds to actually have such a beast produced lol... Maybe I should start a kickfarter for it lol.

I am tired of Janky, and just want something simple, elegant, and purpose built that does what I want it to.  

Didn't even think of speakers, that would be a nice feature.

Honestly a bit of vinyl wrap can make an obvious DIY project look really nice. If you watch the video I linked, you'll see the transformation it makes to the portable monitor. You may even look into using a pelican suitcase type box. I've seen a few videos of people making portable xbox/playstations with those and they have monitors/speakers built-in. 

By the point that they actually make it functional enough for gamer they may as well make a full blown laptop... This laptop would probably make for a good replacement for the your old one at a fairly decent price. (once you install crouton, or wait for the upcoming updates to chrome which will have access to other Linux distros built right into the OS.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

20 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

By the point that they actually make it functional enough for gamer they may as well make a full blown laptop... This laptop would probably make for a good replacement for the your old one at a fairly decent price. (once you install crouton, or wait for the upcoming updates to chrome which will have access to other Linux distros built right into the OS.

Looking at BOM cost, a 15-16" 1080p 60fps panel w/ controller + keyboard + USB hub + chassis + 5W speakers would come in at around $150 for decent quality parts.  

I'm not looking for some tiny 11" screen.  I want 15-17 inches.  I'd also really prefer to not stream, and just connect directly to a desktop.  

The desktop I'm currently using in my bedroom is only temporary.  I plan to put together a slightly better build.  

I don't plan to go back to a laptop for this use case.  I'll either deal with my 8lb lap desk, or make something a little lighter.

Main Rig: