Video/photo editing software help

Go to solution Solved by minibois,

The free version of Davinci Resolve and Gimp serves me well for my video and (limited) photo editing needs. Just kind of depends on what you are doing.

Resolve is something I can definitely stand behind, awesome program that is quite fully featured and should run great on a Ryzen 5 1600 (you may want to right click the video on the timeline and "Generate Optimized Media" for smoother playback on higher quality footage).

Gimp is a program people love to hate, but it works fairly well, I just don't have a ton to add to the conversation about it, since I don't do photo editing much.

I'm off to the dominican on Friday for 2 weeks and i intend to take lots of video/photos with my gopro6/note9. I'd like to make one of those montage videos with music in BG etc for when i get back. Could anyone point me to a decent paid/unpaid video editing software for myself to use.

I'm a complete amateur in videography. Cheers.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

The free version of Davinci Resolve and Gimp serves me well for my video and (limited) photo editing needs. Just kind of depends on what you are doing.

Resolve is something I can definitely stand behind, awesome program that is quite fully featured and should run great on a Ryzen 5 1600 (you may want to right click the video on the timeline and "Generate Optimized Media" for smoother playback on higher quality footage).

Gimp is a program people love to hate, but it works fairly well, I just don't have a ton to add to the conversation about it, since I don't do photo editing much.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, Minibois said:

The free version of Davinci Resolve and Gimp serves me well

i second

and maybe something to decode because it doesn't support h264

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i second

Thank you both for the quick and informative replies =]

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i second

Good point, I actually wanted to edit something some days ago which was an .mov file which Resolve didn't support..

2 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Thank you both for the quick and informative replies =]

It's probably wise to install a program like Handbrake too - depending on the filetypes you record/maybe get from others - Resolve might not support all.

Handbrake is basically a program that turns a certain video file into another.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Handbrake

handbrake, that was the name i was looking for

the ui is all over the place, but it works so well

6 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Good point, I actually wanted to edit something some days ago which was an .mov file which Resolve didn't support..

It's probably wise to install a program like Handbrake too - depending on the filetypes you record/maybe get from others - Resolve might not support all.

Handbrake is basically a program that turns a certain video file into another.

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

handbrake, that was the name i was looking for

the ui is all over the place, but it works so well

Yeah, ive used that before years ago when uploading mmo gameplay because the format wasn't playing nice :)

Will get that as well !

6 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Yeah, ive used that before years ago when uploading mmo gameplay because the format wasn't playing nice :)

Will get that as well !

alright, anything else i can help with?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

alright, anything else i can help with?

Nah man, was just looking for options on which editing software i should use. Got few videos on youtube i'm planning to watch for gopro settings etc and whats best for post editing. Thanks again.

Just now, Noctus said:

Nah man, was just looking for options on which editing software i should use. Got few videos on youtube i'm planning to watch for gopro settings etc and whats best for post editing. Thanks again.

no problem

you can mark it as solved with the checkmark

and we would appreciate some likes if you don't mind