Asus Prime A320M-K, grey heat sink chipset overheat until self reboot or shutdown.

Hi, i just bought finally ryzen 7 1700, Asus a320m-k and G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400 PC4-19200 16GB 2x8GB CL15, the things is i had already a gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 with 4 GB ram, that one doesn't need extra power connector, so then i just build all this, and the heatsink of the chipset a320 just overheat a lot and then the software just reset, or stuck, and i lose video image in the scren, so i tried my old 9800 GTX 512 MB and th eheatsink doesnt heat too much, and doesnt lose the screen video or software reset, i mean no forced reboot because overheat. I was thinking abot my PSU is 500 W, is it posible that maybe is not enoguh power so then the chipset goes overheat?... Or have nothing to do with that, can be the gpu problem?... or a fail into the motherboard?... thanks you so much for th ehel in advance.

2 minutes ago, Totorus said:

the heatsink of the chipset a320 just overheat a lot and then the software just reset,

what are you specifically doing and it overheated?

overheated about what temp? on chipset heatsink?

Even a320 is cheapest of the line, while not recommended, shall still be able to hold a 1700 stable at stock. what is your psu?

Doing nothing specific, just installed Windows 10 64 bits, and doing just installations of programs, browsing internet, not even playing yet a video game that use the gpu, i tried to take the number other temperature with the Aida64 but couldn't, not enought time and selft-boot or shutsdown, but i can confirm tha tis not normal temperature, because i touched with the finger and can't mantain the finger in the heatsink, really burns. and yes on the tiny heatsink, color grey. See in the image below. And the PSU  is a Powercooler, i just can't find the original website to show you, but is 500W.

heatsink1-zone.jpg

Found a picture of the powercooler PSU.

powercooler 500w.jpg

2 minutes ago, Totorus said:

because i touched with the finger and can't mantain the finger in the heatsink, really burns.

maybe, that part is suppose to be hot, same as my b350 plus.

like 60~70C feels burning, but its normal temp.

update bios/ chipset first. 

Mine, i just checked and comes with version 4027, and the last one is 4602. I'll update and see what happens. After that i'll post the news, Thanks. The picture below is from official Asus.

My version.jpg

Some news, since i tried to use the 9800 GT the system was stable for hours without problem, so i decide to update the bios, i did without problem, and i continued to use for more hours without problem, even the heatsink of the chipset was at perfect temperatures 36 to 32,  so after several hours more i tried again the 1050 Ti 4GB and few seconds after windows boot, again reboot and stuck, the thing is, all indicates that is that last gpu, but can be the PSU too?... because knowing that the PSU is 10 to 13 years old, maybe is unstable just with the 1050 Ti. I'll going to check the components inside the PSU and see if i can recognize any in bad state. Will keep testing. I leave a comparison below between the 1050 Ti D5 4 GB and 9800 GT 512 MB. So even the 1050 Ti has less consumption in watts.

1590029695_1050TiD54GBvs9800GT512MB.png.d8c164c1a799523bae41517bdc81fec4.png

Greetings.

1 hour ago, Totorus said:

because knowing that the PSU is 10 to 13 years old,

Dude, why?? WHY??
WHy your continue to use your new, good system with that ancient piece of shit PSU?!

Wanna destroy hundreds of €uros because you cheaped out on the PSU and got a shitty one?!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Dude, why?? WHY??
WHy your continue to use your new, good system with that ancient piece of shit PSU?!

Wanna destroy hundreds of €uros because you cheaped out on the PSU and got a shitty one?!

No, i just don't have at the moment a knew PSU, and in the older system never had a problem, that's why i didn't even imagine the older PSU could have a problem. Also with the 9800 GT the system is stable. Do you think that the problem is the PSU?

For sure i'll buy a new PSU even if it's not the case, so i can have a new one, and i hope the 1050Ti don' t have any problem.

Greetings.

It WILL have a problem before long BECAUSE it is old. They don't last forever, capacitors and other components have an expected lifespan and 13 years ago there were a lot of Chinese counterfeit capacitors in circulation that had shorter than advertised lifespans. 

Remember everything worked until it didn't including Chernobyl. When a PSU decides to die it takes everything else with it.

Chipsets are intended to run at temps that would burn you, you are not copper and silicon.

Sounds like your GPU is the problem, RMA it.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

14 minutes ago, asand1 said:

It WILL have a problem before long BECAUSE it is old. They don't last forever, capacitors and other components have an expected lifespan and 13 years ago there were a lot of Chinese counterfeit capacitors in circulation that had shorter than advertised lifespans. 

Remember everything worked until it didn't including Chernobyl. When a PSU decides to die it takes everything else with it.

Chipsets are intended to run at temps that would burn you, you are not copper and silicon.

Sounds like your GPU is the problem, RMA it.

Yes i know, in fact i already repaired a friend's PSU changing the bigger capacitors that were inflated, honestly i didn't checked the components of mine yet, is the next step, so yes i will change the PSU for a new one any way. The thing is, i still need to determine if the GPU have any issues. I think i can't send the GPU for RMA. I bought it in other country and is, i think, one and a half or 2 years old. Thank you so much for the answer.

Greetings.

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

then pls do not use your old PSU with the new Components.

I won't, and i have news, i opened the PSU and notice 2 capacitors a bit inflated, not the common bigger, the other one, middle to little size, indicator of something happened. Now i'm looking to buy the new PSU. I can afford this one below, what do you think about this model?

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-B1-0600-KR

Good news, i just installed the evga and the system is stable and super fast, also, i'm very happy with this, the 1050 Ti works perfectly!!!... So the problem was the older PSU. Thanks for the answers to all.

Greetings.

• 3 years later...
On 5/8/2019 at 1:45 AM, Totorus said:

Good news, i just installed the evga and the system is stable and super fast, also, i'm very happy with this, the 1050 Ti works perfectly!!!... So the problem was the older PSU. Thanks for the answers to all.

Greetings.

Hi. What happened at the end with this topic? I have the same motherboard and my PSU is only 12 months old, bought it brand new. I don't know whether to buy a new PSU or send the motherboard back to the seller. Could you please let me know if you didn't have any further issues with this? Thanks!

2 hours ago, nachitolit said:

Hi. What happened at the end with this topic? I have the same motherboard and my PSU is only 12 months old, bought it brand new. I don't know whether to buy a new PSU or send the motherboard back to the seller. Could you please let me know if you didn't have any further issues with this? Thanks!

THIS:

On 5/7/2019 at 11:45 PM, Totorus said:

Greetings.

16 posts since 2019 - I doubt you'll get an answer.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.