VM Gpu passthrough

Hi! 

situation is tis: 

ive installed vmware and set up a win 10 vm with Borderlands 2. 

now, wierd thing: 

when i look at the sky ingame, the fps is fine and stable between 40 to 90 fps 

but when i try to actually play and look forwad (not even talking about mouse and keyboard movment) fps is barley 12. 

how can i fix? 

a GTX1080 takes the full load of the VM   

What kind of system are you running it on?

how much cpu cores did you assign to your VM? (4 would be the bare minimal for any gaming)
Did you install the vmware tools on your VM.

3 minutes ago, MysticalGnome said:

What kind of system are you running it on?

how much cpu cores did you assign to your VM? (4 would be the bare minimal for any gaming)
Did you install the vmware tools on your VM.

Im running it on a win 10 64 bit 

I assignd 4 cpu cores to it and 16 gb of ram (im only trying to run BL2 on it and other light games and to make a secondary Photoshop pc [therfore the GPU need] for a friend)

Yes, i installed the VMware tools on the vm. 

What kind of CPU are you using right now?

Also can you spin up a second host to see if there is an issue with the guest OS itself?

15 minutes ago, MysticalGnome said:

What kind of CPU are you using right now?

Also can you spin up a second host to see if there is an issue with the guest OS itself?

my cpu is a core i7 8700

alsto tried on a core i5 4430 with 8gb ram and a sapphire vapor x (my old pc) 

and the windows installation i used for the guest is a genuine win 10 install (also my host and every other pc here is with the same install from the microsoft creator tool) 

its actually weird 

the game launches fine (any game) with 25-40fps (im good with it) and than when i look at the sky, 40 fps 

when i look forward (like walk or something) boom. 4-12 fps . 

:S  

3 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Is this runningon ESXi or vmware workstation?

vmware workstation 15

2 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

yes

iv'e encountered that, did that and this is the result (12 fps) 

i see that the gpu taking the impact and it still 12 fps (its a gtx 1080- gaming regularly on host is flwaless on ultra settings..... even VR but i would lve palying with my gf on screen #2.. (both connected with HDMI))

4 minutes ago, alws34 said:

yes

iv'e encountered that, did that and this is the result (12 fps) 

i see that the gpu taking the impact and it still 12 fps (its a gtx 1080- gaming regularly on host is flwaless on ultra settings..... even VR but i would lve palying with my gf on screen #2.. (both connected with HDMI))

When you launch your VM and go into device manager, do you actually see a 1080 listed? Are you connecting to it via RDP or using the console window? How much video RAM did you assign it in the vm settings?

5 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

When you launch your VM and go into device manager, do you actually see a 1080 listed? Are you connecting to it via RDP or using the console window? How much video RAM did you assign it in the vm settings?

no. 

i do not see the gtx 1080 listed INSIDE the vm. but it does take the impact of the vm (ive set it in the nvidia control panel under 3d settings).

ive assing 3gb of video ram (max available in the settings) 

the connection is made through the console window. not through remote desktop.. 

sky=25-50 FPS

not sky= 4-12 fps

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/563849

this is actually what made the game load in the first place, so its progress

2 minutes ago, alws34 said:

no. 

i do not see the gtx 1080 listed INSIDE the vm. but it does take the impact of the vm (ive set it in the nvidia control panel under 3d settings).

ive assing 3gb of video ram (max available in the settings) 

the connection is made through the console window. not through remote desktop.. 

sky=25-50 FPS

not sky= 4-12 fps

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/563849

this is actually what made the game load in the first place, so its progress

The problem is the VM can't fully utilize the nvidia drivers or the card directly, so there's a massive amount of overhead between using the vmware driver which has to translate to the nvidia driver. So what's happening is instead of Windows 10 using your video card, it's actually vmware workstation - and it's not by any stretch of the imagination meant for gaming. ESXi however, can be - but to use nvidia cards there's more work to be done or more money to be spent.

Anytime you have more sprites / objects the video card has to work harder, so the sky/no-sky is expected. A few clouds and a blue sky might as well be a 2d movie. There's nothing between you and the sky, finite distance. Whereas if you look outinto the world, there's evreything from your feet to as far as you can see it has to render.

3 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

The problem is the VM can't fully utilize the nvidia drivers or the card directly, so there's a massive amount of overhead between using the vmware driver which has to translate to the nvidia driver. So what's happening is instead of Windows 10 using your video card, it's actually vmware workstation - and it's not by any stretch of the imagination meant for gaming. ESXi however, can be - but to use nvidia cards there's more work to be done or more money to be spent.

Anytime you have more sprites / objects the video card has to work harder, so the sky/no-sky is expected. A few clouds and a blue sky might as well be a 2d movie. There's nothing between you and the sky, finite distance. Whereas if you look outinto the world, there's evreything from your feet to as far as you can see it has to render.

i understand. 

so what do you suggest me to do? 

install EXSI? 

and than what will i have to do to make it work? 

7 minutes ago, alws34 said:

i understand. 

so what do you suggest me to do? 

install EXSI? 

and than what will i have to do to make it work? 

What's the goal of running a game inside a VM? Could be better solutions depending on your goal.

1 minute ago, Mikensan said:

What's the goal of running a game inside a VM? Could be better solutions depending on your goal.

1.me and my gf want to play all those co-op games (bl2,portal 2, etc ) together on my 2 screen setup (i have already managed to assign different keyboard and mouse seamlessly to the VM) -this is about what we are talking here in the current thread

2. currently as of today im renting CPU power for fellow students in need and i give them VMs as needed for the task (mainly matlab, solidworks or even just as a better computer for studying) (for 2-3 friends who cant afford buy a better pc- this is working fine because for the most time im not getting close to utilize 100% of the system (or even 20 haha) (while working\coding\studying etc) so why not give the power for someone else to use and control over TV without interrupting me..... (and to earn some cash in the process) :) ) 

3. for me to learn the virtualization field :) 

:D 

Hmmm well I can hit 2 of 3 of those - microsoft multipoint server would work well for you and your girlfriend, as well as the other students. It will let you dedicate a monitor / mouse /keyboard to a separate session. i've never set this up myself, but would definltey making sharing the computer out a little easier.

The only disadvantage would be you're not learning anything virtualization wise. Though you could roll Hyper-V with your multipoint server and give those VMs out to the fellow students.  

The problem with ESXi or Proxmox (Linux KVM) is you would need a video card per user, so for you and her you'd need 2 video cards. Sharing a video card is difficult through VMs.

If you or anyone you know has an EDU email address you can sign up for dreamspark (I think microsoft renamed it) and get access to server licensing.

2 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Hmmm well I can hit 2 of 3 of those - microsoft multipoint server would work well for you and your girlfriend, as well as the other students. It will let you dedicate a monitor / mouse /keyboard to a separate session. i've never set this up myself, but would definltey making sharing the computer out a little easier.

The only disadvantage would be you're not learning anything virtualization wise. Though you could roll Hyper-V with your multipoint server and give those VMs out to the fellow students.  

The problem with ESXi or Proxmox (Linux KVM) is you would need a video card per user, so for you and her you'd need 2 video cards. Sharing a video card is difficult through VMs.

i understand

when i used hyper v - for most of the renting part but it had problems so i switched to virtualbox for that purpose (the gaming part that im trying to do is on vmware [virtual box dont even starts the game]). 

does windows multipoint will be able to run games etc? 

i can get a licence, dont worry. 

but my qeustion is that if i will play (lets say BF V or something like that) wont i get banned ?(well, maybe not on bf v lol but on other games..) because im using a vm? or virtual desktop is different??

but i am still very confused:

see, LTT did this 2 gamers 1 cpu and 7 gamers 1 cpu .... how do they virtualize and passthrough the GPU (yes, they gave each one a gpu,but the games ran on that VM with the GPU)

more to add that i forgot about: 

i do have a secondary GPU that i can use from my old pc 

its a sapphire vapor x 3gb oc (its not much but it'll get the job done on those kind of games.. even took pretty well sony vegas 13 back then....)

so is there a way to utilize it inside the vm without changing the host (my) os? ?

thank you guys for the help! 

1 minute ago, alws34 said:

i understand

when i used hyper v - for most of the renting part but it had problems so i switched to virtualbox for that purpose (the gaming part that im trying to do is on vmware [virtual box dont even starts the game]). 

does windows multipoint will be able to run games etc? 

i can get a licence, dont worry. 

but my qeustion is that if i will play (lets say BF V or something like that) wont i get banned ?(well, maybe not on bf v lol but on other games..) because im using a vm? or virtual desktop is different??

but i am still very confused:

see, LTT did this 2 gamers 1 cpu and 7 gamers 1 cpu .... how do they virtualize and passthrough the GPU (yes, they gave each one a gpu,but the games ran on that VM with the GPU)

more to add that i forgot about: 

i do have a secondary GPU that i can use from my old pc 

its a sapphire vapor x 3gb oc (its not much but it'll get the job done on those kind of games.. even took pretty well sony vegas 13 back then....)

so is there a way to utilize it inside the vm without changing the host (my) os? ?

thank you guys for the help! 

So multipoint is 1 desktop and multiple sessions. Have you ever gone to log out, and see you can "switch user"? So that's a session, except the second account would log in on your second monitor using a second keyboard etc... There's no VMs on a multipoint server. You would just use a second account for the second session.

They pass it through using Linux KVM (unraid's version) which uses SRV-IO (I think that's the acronym). They literally click something like "add hardware" and then which video card they'd like to dedicate to the VM.

Unfortunately to pass a gaphics card through directly to a VM, you need to run either ESXi or Proxmox/Unraid/KVM (all the same just different flavors). The downside of passing a graphics card through to a VM is you lose having a second monitor unless you unplug it from one card and plug it into the next.

Now Steam has the ability to cast games to your phone / laptop / whatever, another thing I've been interested in but I do not know what the limitations are. She might be able to bring her laptop in and play games using your processing power.