Slow Samsung 860 evo

Go to solution Solved by Dioneyesos,
Just now, SuperUserDo said:

The two options I ave right now are to use a standard ahci driver by microsoft and get approximately 10,000 IOPS of extra performance or use the latest ones by intel, lose 10,000 IOPS and potentially gain extra battery life?  Do you think 10,000 IOPS is worth the tradeoff of using a generic driver from 2006?

I would go with which ever feels faster. To me IOPS don't mean a lot. I just want everything to run smooth, stable and as fast as possible. And if that means running a driver from 2006, so be it ?

For battery life, I don't think you will notice the difference, if there is any at all

Hi,

I recently purchased a new samsung 860 evo m.2 version 250 GB to install in my acer aspire 5. Due to corrupted windows installation media I needed to install windows on it many times(around 10). After installing windows from a new media I checked my ssd speeds in samsung magician. My sequential read/write speed were as expected around 540/515 MB/s however random speeds were very low for an ssd around 30000 IOPS for both read and write. I have AHCI sata enabled and TRIM enabled. If anyone could help me out with this issue it would be really good!

Yup as I said expected speeds for Sequential however the reason I bought an ssd was for the random speeds I am getting around 30,000 iops in samsung magician

1 minute ago, SuperUserDo said:

Yup as I said expected speeds for Sequential however the reason I bought an ssd was for the random speeds I am getting around 30,000 iops in samsung magician

What should it be for a 860 Evo?

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

Somewhere close to 60,000 IOPS 

It than indeed is a bit slow. From a quick google search I learned that it might be due to an old and slow CPU, what are the rest of your specs?

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

7 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

ah... no updates or something running in the background?

2 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

It than indeed is a bit slow. From a quick google search I learned that it might be due to an old and slow CPU, what are the rest of your specs?

It is actually 8GB RAM Core i5-8250u and MX150 Graphics

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

ah... no updates or something running in the background?

"ah... no updates" Sorry I did not understand this. Nothing is running in the background though.

2 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

It is actually 8GB RAM Core i5-8250u and MX150 Graphics

Should be fine I think, make sure all the drivers are up to date. I'll google a little further to see if I can find anything else.

"ah... no updates" Sorry I did not understand this

you're not running updates in the background, that's what i also meant with it

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

you're not running updates in the background, that's what i also meant with it

Ah.. yup no updates

1 minute ago, Dioneyesos said:

Should be fine I think, make sure all the drivers are up to date. I'll google a little further to see if I can find anything else.

Downloaded and installed the latest from acer's website

Downloaded and installed the latest from acer's website

Check writeback cache. If its disabled, enable it, if it's enabled, disable it. See if that helps. 

Name:  Image2.jpg Views: 1921 Size:  46.7 KB

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

maybe a chipset update will help?

Updated 

Updated 

Was it up to date or have you just updated it? If it was up to date, check it the AHCI drivers have any updates 

1 minute ago, Dioneyesos said:

Was it up to date or have you just updated it? If it was up to date, check it the AHCI drivers have any updates 

Was updated

9 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

Check writeback cache. If its disabled, enable it, if it's enabled, disable it. See if that helps. 

Name:  Image2.jpg Views: 1921 Size:  46.7 KB

Disabled it read speeds about the same however write speed tanked like anything.

3 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

Was updated

and the AHCI driver(s)? 

image.png.3f72a564d176bcf16942d9c99d2b9ecc.png

That doesn't look like an improvement to me... 

2 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

and the AHCI driver(s)? 

Updated

Updated

Okay, do you have Samsung Magician? Try enabling rapid mode if you haven't already