Slow Samsung 860 evo

Go to solution Solved by Dioneyesos,
Just now, SuperUserDo said:

The two options I ave right now are to use a standard ahci driver by microsoft and get approximately 10,000 IOPS of extra performance or use the latest ones by intel, lose 10,000 IOPS and potentially gain extra battery life?  Do you think 10,000 IOPS is worth the tradeoff of using a generic driver from 2006?

I would go with which ever feels faster. To me IOPS don't mean a lot. I just want everything to run smooth, stable and as fast as possible. And if that means running a driver from 2006, so be it ?

For battery life, I don't think you will notice the difference, if there is any at all

Just now, Dioneyesos said:

Okay, do you have Samsung Magician? Try enabling rapid mode if you haven't already

Okay, sorry I didn't tell this earlier. Enabling rapid mode uses ram as cache and TM benchmarks are totally inflated. Like sequential 4000MB/s for a data drive. So it becomes basically a ram benchmark

Okay, sorry I didn't tell this earlier. Enabling rapid mode uses ram as cache and TM benchmarks are totally inflated. Like sequential 4000MB/s for a data drive. So it becomes basically a ram benchmark

Not a data drive a data drive

Not a data drive a data drive

Autocorrect *SATA drive

1 minute ago, SuperUserDo said:

I don't see the issue with this? And I don't think you can get the max out of your drive without rapid mode. I know what it does and how it works, it's just that I believe you need it to get up to spec

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

Autocorrect *SATA drive

I got you on the first correct, also you can edit posts :)

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

I don't see the issue with this? And I don't think you can get the max out of your drive without rapid mode. I know what it does and how it works, it's just that I believe you need it to get up to spec

No I mean raw performance of the SSD is supposed to be higher than 30000 oops without rapid mode

1 minute ago, Dioneyesos said:

I got you on the first correct, also you can edit posts :)

?

No I mean raw performance of the SSD is supposed to be higher than 30000 oops without rapid mode

I'm not sure that is correct. Might be, but I wouldn't care about how it gets the performance, as long as it gets it

2 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

Just for the sake of seeing if it actually matters, turn it on, run the benchmark and see if it is improved

1 minute ago, Dioneyesos said:

Just for the sake of seeing if it actually matters, turn it on, run the benchmark and see if it is improved

Yeah had already checked it sequential speeds were above 4000 and random was around 400

Yeah had already checked it sequential speeds were above 4000 and random was around 400

So in spec than right? 

Not really this is the speed spec without rapid mode. Pulled this off of Amazon.

Screenshot_20190410-134303~2.png

6 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

Not really this is the speed spec without rapid mode. Pulled this off of Amazon.

Screenshot_20190410-134303~2.png

Could you run the benchmark in Samsung Magician to see what that does? I'm not that familiar with CrystalDisk

image.png.51720f637aae2d51127930250cd42e27.png

18 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

Could you run the benchmark in Samsung Magician to see what that does? I'm not that familiar with CrystalDisk

Just Look at this! Installed windows once more and did not install any drivers now from any website just let windows update do its thing......

Just Look at this! Installed windows once more and did not install any drivers now from any website just let windows update do its thing......

Pretty confused now whether I should install any drivers or not.....

Earlier it was at 30,000 IOPS

I must say, that's really odd... All the forum post I've read regarding this issue say that they get the worst performance with the default Windows Drivers. Maybe they updated their driver catalog or whatever you wanna call it so it uses newer, better drivers. But I'm glad it's sorted out now. Does your system feel faster too now?

2 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

Pretty confused now whether I should install any drivers or not.....

You can try, if the performance is worse, just roll back the drivers or remove them completely (remove device in device manager) and let Windows install it's own drivers again, should be back to what you have now

5 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

I must say, that's really odd... All the forum post I've read regarding this issue say that they get the worst performance with the default Windows Drivers. Maybe they updated their driver catalog or whatever you wanna call it so it uses newer, better drivers. But I'm glad it's sorted out now. Does your system feel faster too now?

It does feel faster

4 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

It does feel faster

Okay that awesome! Any other questions regarding the SSD? 

6 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

You can try, if the performance is worse, just roll back the drivers or remove them completely (remove device in device manager) and let Windows install it's own drivers again, should be back to what you have now

Should I try drivers from acer or directly from intel ?

ie https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7244?b=1

Should I try drivers from acer or directly from intel ?

ie https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7244?b=1

I would say go for the Acer ones, they might be better suited for your system configuration. If it was a desktop, I would say Intel, but it's not so go for the Acer ones

Maybe you could help me with which drivers from the 14 above I should install?

If you could provide me with the exact model number of your notebook, I will have a look for you!

If you could provide me with the exact model number of your notebook, I will have a look for you!

My model number is A515-51G and the link provided above is the driver page for it