Memtest

Go to solution Solved by nick name,
3 minutes ago, RocketJump said:

Going to go ahead and bump the voltage up, I'm only running at 4.7GHz.

Then it sounds like a voltage issue.  I'm not an Intel overclocker, but I can google.

VCCIO CPU 1.05V Voltage: This rail is for the IO transceivers within the CPU. Its primary impact is on memory stability, though it usually does not need to be increased as much as the System Agent voltage. Setting this rail ~0.05V lower than the System Agent Voltage is often sufficient to stabilize memory frequency.

Also:

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/792485-Overclocking-8700k-VCCIO-and-system-agent-voltage

Lately I've been getting crashes in some games and decided to run memtest to see if RAM might be the issue. I ran Memtest once and out of 4 passes, there was 1 error. I ran it a second time for another 4 passes and there were no errors at all. What would have caused the error the first time and not the second? Should I run it a few more times? Lastly, should I run it with each stick individually? 

MSI Prestige 15

i5 10210u - 8GB DDR4 2666MHz - GTX 1650 Max-Q - 500GB SSD

Hinges still intact!

I can't tell you what caused the error, but it absolutely indicates instability.  So if you're running your RAM at stock specs then you should test each stick individually to find the bad one.  However, you're gonna need to test for longer periods than you have already.  

And RAM errors can cause GPU driver crashes so it seems like you're on the right track.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

28 minutes ago, nick name said:

I can't tell you what caused the error, but it absolutely indicates instability.  So if you're running your RAM at stock specs then you should test each stick individually to find the bad one.  However, you're gonna need to test for longer periods than you have already.  

And RAM errors can cause GPU driver crashes so it seems like you're on the right track.  

I suspect it might have something to do with XMP. So let's say I run it multiple times today and come up with no errors, could there have been something that triggered that first error incorrectly? I did overclock my 8700k and it's been stable, but for my RAM I just set the xmp profile in BIOS and kept it as is. I might have to manually OC the RAM.

MSI Prestige 15

Hinges still intact!

2 minutes ago, RocketJump said:

I suspect it might have something to do with XMP. So let's say I run it multiple times today and come up with no errors, could there have been something that triggered that first error incorrectly? I did overclock my 8700k and it's been stable, but for my RAM I just set the xmp profile in BIOS and kept it as is. I might have to manually OC the RAM.

It could be your CPU overclock then.  I would assume it's that above bad RAM at this point.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

9 minutes ago, nick name said:

It could be your CPU overclock then.  I would assume it's that above bad RAM at this point.  

Hmm, I ran 20 hours of stress tests on it and it didn't crash. I'll try bumping the voltage a little and see if it's better. These aren't hard crashes I'm getting, just crashes to desktop

MSI Prestige 15

Hinges still intact!

A CPU overclock may prove stable in the sense of running, but can cause RAM instability.  You might just need a little more voltage or worst case -- dial back the overclock a hair.  

49 minutes ago, nick name said:

A CPU overclock may prove stable in the sense of running, but can cause RAM instability.  You might just need a little more voltage or worst case -- dial back the overclock a hair.  

MSI Prestige 15

Hinges still intact!

3 minutes ago, RocketJump said:

Then it sounds like a voltage issue.  I'm not an Intel overclocker, but I can google.

VCCIO CPU 1.05V Voltage: This rail is for the IO transceivers within the CPU. Its primary impact is on memory stability, though it usually does not need to be increased as much as the System Agent voltage. Setting this rail ~0.05V lower than the System Agent Voltage is often sufficient to stabilize memory frequency.

Also:

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/792485-Overclocking-8700k-VCCIO-and-system-agent-voltage