Wait for the next gen XPS 15 or get the Dell G7 15 RTX2060

I'm an industrial design student in India doing my bachelors... I have been eyeing the gaming and premium segment of laptops for a long time and I'll be getting a laptop in the second half of 2019... After considering all the factors, including performance, reliability and service... I've come to narrow it so down to 2 laptops... The XPS 15 and the Dell G7 15 inch... The only reason I don't want to buy the XPS is that it's gonna get a complete redesign this year and it will surely be much more expensive than the current Gen and I don't want to get an outdated product, especially when the 1050Ti in the XPS is on its way out, along with the fact that the 2019 Dell G7 15 provides an RTX2060 for the same price... What should I get??? How long can I rely on the 1050ti and the old thermal design of the XPS? Should I get the G7 over the XPS? Should I wait for the next gen XPS?

Assuming both laptops have the same CPU, the G7's 2060 will probably work better for the rendering you'd be doing in industrial design (though I don't know much about that stuff).

I'd assume the G7 would be better suited to your needs, but the next gen XPS could be just as good so who knows.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

I'm leaning more on the G series. I feel the XPS series sacrifices cooling performance for looks, which I think would be better for the longevity of the laptop. As an anecdote, I had a gaming session on my Inspiron 15 7577 (which is more or less the same chassis design as the G5/G7) and it didn't break a sweat, keeping itself at around 65C. Though this was in about 18-20C of ambient temps.

43 minutes ago, Nuclearboxxers said:

snip

Only limited to these 2 models?

Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life? Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

The wait may be longer than you have anticipated though so unless you really don't need a computer in the meanwhile, then the G7 is a very nice laptop from the reviews I've seem

Now keep in mind that it will be much more expensive when it comes out and you could be waiting longer than you would want to.

Check out the Dell G7 models here (the 90WHr models have longer battery life obviously): Dell G7

Finally, check out the MSI Workstations as well

HIDevolution does a superb job when it comes to building these machines and excellent thermal paste application to ensure your laptop doesn't overheat. I've bought 4 laptops from them in the past 5 years and they have all been perfect and worked 100% out of the box.

Email donald@hidevolution.com he might be able to give you a small discount. He was the salesman I dealt with and gave me excellent advice and recommendations which actually saved me money by not letting me upgrade to stuff that I didn't really need.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

14 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Only limited to these 2 models?

Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life? Any links of online stores?

The prices will vary a lot since I'm in India, though I will most probably buy the laptop in this summer(June - July)... Less weight would be appreciated but I would be willing to carry something as heavy as the G7... More battery = better

30 minutes ago, Nuclearboxxers said:

though I will most probably buy the laptop in this summer(June - July)

Then why not ask during that time? There might be other new, decent models. Prices and availability can change as well

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128