Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
onsomefuckery

New PC build since 2014 for occasional gaming

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, it's been almost 5 years since I bought my first gaming PC and I've decided it's time to get a new one.
 

50% of my day consists of watching youtube + twitch and the other half is working in Photoshop. I tend to boot up Battlefield 1 once every 2 months and this new build would be for occasional Battlefield V and maybe some other AAA games in the future. I'll be playing on a 1080p 60Hz monitor and maybe update to 1440p in the future
 


The price should be somewhere around as displayed above. I will now explain some of my decisions, what I don't want to change and some questions. Oh and btw, this build would now cost me 1700€, since I'm in Europe.

I want to keep the case, but if there's something similar in the same price range, with similar looks and better air flow, I'm all ears. I also want to keep the CPU cooler and the fans. I plan on sticking 2 of these Noctua fans on the radiator instead of the default NZXT ones and the other 2 for the case. I don't really need more storage and I could always just plug in the SSD from my current PC.

I chose 2 memory sticks instead of 4 because the NZXT cooler blocks the first slot, but I can deal with that. I chose RTX 2070 instead of 2060 to be "future-proof" I guess.
Now these are the questions I have:

  1. Will my i5 CPU bottleneck the GPU?
  2. Should I go for 650W PSU instead of the 750 one?
  3. I know this case has a bad air flow, but is it that bad? 
  4. Since I'll put the radiator on the front of the case, I'm left with just 2 fans in the case, is that enough? Should I go for a case with 5 fan slots?


That would be all I guess, I'm looking forward to some more professional help from you guys, thanks a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need Z390 board if you want to go with 9600k. 

Do you really need that expensive SSD?

No ,i5 8600k/9600k won't bottleneck RTX2070

H500i is alright for this build.

 


Main system: i7 8700k / Asus Prime Z370-A / Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000Mhz / Gigabyte RTX2080 Aorus Extreme / EVGA 750W GQ / Fractal Design Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would do something like this. 

 

If you want a case with better airflow then the Meshify is a good option.

 

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€419.90 @ Alza) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler  (€33.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€185.01 @ Mindfactory) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€97.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Corsair - MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€93.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card  (€560.90 @ Alza) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C White TG ATX Mid Tower Case  (€89.90 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€89.64 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1571.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-19 18:15 CET+0100


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, onsomefuckery said:

In my experience, the Corsair LPX RAM has poor quality control. I had difficulties getting mine to work properly.

I would also highly recommend 3000Mhz RAM, G.Skill seems to be the best brand right now (especially in value, you can get G.Skill 3000Mhz for less than this Corsair 2666Mhz).

 

7 minutes ago, onsomefuckery said:

I'm assuming you have some old HDDs and/or SSDs to compliment this? 500GB isn't enough for most people these days. Also, if you want NVMe (assuming you do because photoshop), you can save money by not getting one of Samsung's Pro drives; the EVOs are just about as good for a decent bit less.

 

9 minutes ago, onsomefuckery said:

The H500 variant is a better deal. Gamer's Nexus despised the "i" version's "smart device." Case layout is the same, you just don't have a dumb fan controller; which you could easily get a better controller with what you save.

10 minutes ago, onsomefuckery said:

 

  1. Will my i5 CPU bottleneck the GPU?
  2. Should I go for 650W PSU instead of the 750 one?
  3. I know this case has a bad air flow, but is it that bad? 
  4. Since I'll put the radiator on the front of the case, I'm left with just 2 fans in the case, is that enough? Should I go for a case with 5 fan slots?

1 - Not by much, if at all

2 - You could easily get by on 650W, depends on if you're looking to save money or not.

3 - With a water cooled CPU, your GPU is more likely to suffer from bad airflow.

4 - Should be enough, I would think. You seem pretty hard set on this case, but if you want good airflow get a Fractal Design Meshify C.


PCMR

Primary PC: Lazarus | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tv7hLJ | Build Log: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1000427-lazarus/

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 | PSU: Seasonic Focus Platinum 750W | Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX B350-F | Front Panel: Asus DVD/RW Drive

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x @ Stock Speeds | 32 GB DDR4 RAM (4x8) Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

Storage: 1TB 7200rpm Toshiba 3.5" HDD, 2TB 5400rpm Seagate Firecuda SSHD, 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 860 EVO, 4TB Toshiba X300 7200rpm HDD

Fans: Corsair 120mm SF x 3, Fractal Design 140mm Dynamic X2 x 3 | Peripherals: Asus Strix Flare, Corsair Scimitar Pro | GPU: RTX 2080 STRIX

Expansion Cards: Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card, Asus Xonar DGX | USB devices: Asus AC66 USB 3.0 AC wifi adapter, Blue Snowball, NZXT Hue+

Displays:  23" 1080p 60Hz, Asus PB258Q 27" 1440p 60Hz | OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Secondary PC: Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Gaming 

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300 HQ | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 RAM | GPU: GTX 1050 4 GB | Storage: 1TB 5400rpm Western Digital HDD, 500GB 960 EVO

OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Tertiary PC: *insert name here*/HTPC | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8W4cLJ | Build Log: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1030228-htpcconsole-build/

Case: Silverstone Grandia GD09 | PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W | Mobo: Asus Q87m-E/CSM | Front Panel: DVD/RW Drive

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k | RAM: 32GB DDR3 (4x8) Kingston HyperX | CPU Cooler: Cryorig C7

Fans: Arctic F8 PWM x2, Arctic F12 PWM x 2 | Peripherals: Generic USB Mouse, Dell PS/2 keyboard | Display: HP 2310m 23" 1080p

Expansion Cards: Asus PCE-AC55 PCIe AC wifi/bluetooth adapter, (may, add Asus Xonar DG)

Storage: 1TB 7200rpm Western Digital 3.5" HDD, 1TB Western Digital 2.5" SSD

GPU: Asus GTX 960 Turbo 4GB| OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Mobile Devices

Asus Zenfone 4 Max | Battery: 5400 mAh | Approx Battery Life: 3 Days | Storage: 32 GB Internal Memory, 32 GB mSD Card

RAM: 3 GB RAM | APU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 @ 1.4 GHZ | Display: 5.5" 720p | OS: Android 8.1

 

Asus ZenPad S3 10 | Battery: 4000 mAh | Approx Battery Life: 2 Days | Storage: 64 GB Internal Memory, 32 GB mSD Card

RAM: 4 GB RAM | CPU: MTK MT8176 | GPU: IMG GX6250 | Display: 9.7" 2k | OS: Android 7.1

Consoles

Nintendo Switch | 128 GB Samsung micro SD

PS4 Slim | Stock 1TB 5400rpm HDD

Networking

Cable Modem | Asus CM-16

Wireless Router | Asus RT-AC66U_B1

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

You need Z390 board if you want to go with 9600k. 

Wouldn't BIOS update help with that?

 

10 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Do you really need that expensive SSD?

I guess I could go for the EVO version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
36 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

In my experience, the Corsair LPX RAM has poor quality control. I had difficulties getting mine to work properly.

I would also highly recommend 3000Mhz RAM, G.Skill seems to be the best brand right now (especially in value, you can get G.Skill 3000Mhz for less than this Corsair 2666Mhz).

So unfortunately, the website I'll be ordering from doesn't have any 3000Mhz G.Skill RAM, but they do have 3200MHz, is that ok? It's not cheaper, but if you insist on Corsair being not so good, then I'll go for it. Is G.SKILL 16 GB KIT DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 Trident Z RGB Okay? (I can squeeze a few bucks for the RGB version).

 

37 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

I'm assuming you have some old HDDs and/or SSDs to compliment this? 500GB isn't enough for most people these days. Also, if you want NVMe (assuming you do because photoshop), you can save money by not getting one of Samsung's Pro drives; the EVOs are just about as good for a decent bit less.

500GB is enough for me but I can just add the SSD from my current PC. I can go with the EVO version which is cheaper (no idea what's the difference between the PRO and EVO versions).

1 hour ago, Eastman51 said:

1 - Not by much, if at all

2 - You could easily get by on 650W, depends on if you're looking to save money or not.

3 - With a water cooled CPU, your GPU is more likely to suffer from bad airflow.

4 - Should be enough, I would think. You seem pretty hard set on this case, but if you want good airflow get a Fractal Design Meshify C.

Ok I'll get a 650W PSU. Which one should I get out of these? Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold, EVGA 650 GQ, EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G+ or Corsair TX650M?

You convinved me to go with Meshify C, but now I really don't know how to do the cooling system. 1x 120x120mm Noctua fan for the back, put the radiator on top and then how many fans should I get for the front?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, onsomefuckery said:

So unfortunately, the website I'll be ordering from doesn't have any 3000Mhz G.Skill RAM, but they do have 3200MHz, is that ok? It's not cheaper, but if you insist on Corsair being not so good, then I'll go for it. Is G.SKILL 16 GB KIT DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 Trident Z RGB Okay? (I can squeeze a few bucks for the RGB version).

If you can't get 3000Mhz, you can get 3200Mhz; it'll be slightly faster.

21 hours ago, onsomefuckery said:

500GB is enough for me but I can just add the SSD from my current PC. I can go with the EVO version which is cheaper (no idea what's the difference between the PRO and EVO versions).

The Pro has slightly higher read/write speeds, but costs a little too much more imo. They might also have more TBW (TB of writes), but the EVOs are still good enough for years of use. 

21 hours ago, onsomefuckery said:

Ok I'll get a 650W PSU. Which one should I get out of these? Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold, EVGA 650 GQ, EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G+ or Corsair TX650M?

Probably whichever is cheaper and/or you would rather get. The EVGA Super Novas are supposed to be good, I like my Focus Plus, and I believe the Corsair TX series are decent. You can consult the PSU Tier List for confirmation on which units are the best: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/

21 hours ago, onsomefuckery said:

You convinved me to go with Meshify C, but now I really don't know how to do the cooling system. 1x 120x120mm Noctua fan for the back, put the radiator on top and then how many fans should I get for the front?

I'd probably move the included fan from the rear to the front, keep the front mounted stock fan where it is, put that 120mm Noctua in the rear; and have your radiator as exhaust on the top. You could add another 120mm to the front, and put a 120mm on the bottom (for better airflow directed towards the GPU, but only if the PC will be on a solid surface rather than carpet or similar).

 

Sorry for the late reply.


PCMR

Primary PC: Lazarus | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tv7hLJ | Build Log: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1000427-lazarus/

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 | PSU: Seasonic Focus Platinum 750W | Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX B350-F | Front Panel: Asus DVD/RW Drive

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x @ Stock Speeds | 32 GB DDR4 RAM (4x8) Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

Storage: 1TB 7200rpm Toshiba 3.5" HDD, 2TB 5400rpm Seagate Firecuda SSHD, 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 860 EVO, 4TB Toshiba X300 7200rpm HDD

Fans: Corsair 120mm SF x 3, Fractal Design 140mm Dynamic X2 x 3 | Peripherals: Asus Strix Flare, Corsair Scimitar Pro | GPU: RTX 2080 STRIX

Expansion Cards: Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card, Asus Xonar DGX | USB devices: Asus AC66 USB 3.0 AC wifi adapter, Blue Snowball, NZXT Hue+

Displays:  23" 1080p 60Hz, Asus PB258Q 27" 1440p 60Hz | OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Secondary PC: Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Gaming 

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300 HQ | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 RAM | GPU: GTX 1050 4 GB | Storage: 1TB 5400rpm Western Digital HDD, 500GB 960 EVO

OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Tertiary PC: *insert name here*/HTPC | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8W4cLJ | Build Log: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1030228-htpcconsole-build/

Case: Silverstone Grandia GD09 | PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W | Mobo: Asus Q87m-E/CSM | Front Panel: DVD/RW Drive

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k | RAM: 32GB DDR3 (4x8) Kingston HyperX | CPU Cooler: Cryorig C7

Fans: Arctic F8 PWM x2, Arctic F12 PWM x 2 | Peripherals: Generic USB Mouse, Dell PS/2 keyboard | Display: HP 2310m 23" 1080p

Expansion Cards: Asus PCE-AC55 PCIe AC wifi/bluetooth adapter, (may, add Asus Xonar DG)

Storage: 1TB 7200rpm Western Digital 3.5" HDD, 1TB Western Digital 2.5" SSD

GPU: Asus GTX 960 Turbo 4GB| OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Mobile Devices

Asus Zenfone 4 Max | Battery: 5400 mAh | Approx Battery Life: 3 Days | Storage: 32 GB Internal Memory, 32 GB mSD Card

RAM: 3 GB RAM | APU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 @ 1.4 GHZ | Display: 5.5" 720p | OS: Android 8.1

 

Asus ZenPad S3 10 | Battery: 4000 mAh | Approx Battery Life: 2 Days | Storage: 64 GB Internal Memory, 32 GB mSD Card

RAM: 4 GB RAM | CPU: MTK MT8176 | GPU: IMG GX6250 | Display: 9.7" 2k | OS: Android 7.1

Consoles

Nintendo Switch | 128 GB Samsung micro SD

PS4 Slim | Stock 1TB 5400rpm HDD

Networking

Cable Modem | Asus CM-16

Wireless Router | Asus RT-AC66U_B1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×