Fan RPM goes up and down fast, is it bad?

Hi, I have a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING OC 8G Graphics Card, and i can hear the fans ramp up and down consistently and in the gigabyte app it shows it going up and down, the sound is annoying but more than anything i want to make sure its not breaking my card, i bought it like a month ago so any help would be greatly appreciated.

gpu fan speed.PNG

Edited by Joshua_neu
Wrong card name, and app name

I'm gonna join in on this. I've been having a similar problem with my Gigabyte 1080. The fan stops, and starts on repeat no matter what I do to the fan curve.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Have you tried making a custom fan curve? I'm not familiar with Gigabyte's software but, there should be a setting for it somewhere.

You might have to enable the custom fan curve afterward.

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I'm gonna join in on this. I've been having a similar problem with my Gigabyte 1080. The fan stops, and starts on repeat no matter what I do to the fan curve.

In MSI Afterburner there's a "Force fan speed update on each period" option. Maybe look for something similar if you are using a different program.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

2 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Have you tried making a custom fan curve? I'm not familiar with Gigabyte's software but, there should be a setting for it somewhere.

In MSI Afterburner there's a "Force fan speed update on each period" option. Maybe look for something similar if you are using a different program.

Exactly what I did, which was weird. I used AB and EVGA's software next to the gigabyte suite, no change. It's super bizarre.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

7 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Im going to include what i have access too, i tried making a curve, (although im super noob at this) still no change really, this app seems kind of basic but maybe i just dont really know what im doing  

Edit: also afterburner doesn't let me access the fan options

msi app.PNG

Edited by Joshua_neu
add words

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Exactly what I did, which was weird. I used AB and EVGA's software next to the gigabyte suite, no change. It's super bizarre.

Did you have all of them installed at the same time? That could cause some issues because they would be fighting over the card.

Also, have you checked your temps when it was misbehaving?

4 minutes ago, Joshua_neu said:

Im going to include what i have access too, i tried making a curve, (although im super noob at this) still no change really, this app seems kind of basic but maybe i just dont really know what im doing.

I gave AE a try and, it seems to work fine for me. Maybe you just need to experiment with your fan curve.

For reference here's mine:

Spoiler

MSIAfterburner_8DFxX2T0ns.png.7921685b50844e65efa3aff0f214d0e7.png

It's not the best example since I have two case fans under the GPU for direct airflow because my case is small but, the idea is to play with the curve until you reach the sweet spots where your card is cool enough while not being too loud.

I hope that makes sense.

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

I gave AE a try and, it seems to work fine for me. Maybe you just need to experiment with your fan curve.

For reference here's mine:

Hide contents

MSIAfterburner_8DFxX2T0ns.png.7921685b50844e65efa3aff0f214d0e7.png

It's not the best example since I have two case fans under the GPU for direct airflow because my case is small but, the idea is to play with the curve until you reach the sweet spots where your card is cool enough while not being too loud.

I hope that makes sense.

ok cool, i think i get it, what is an optimal temp for the gpu to be idle at? yours looks to be around 58-59, is that ok for a gpu?

1 minute ago, Joshua_neu said:

ok cool, i think i get it, what is an optimal temp for the gpu to be idle at? yours looks to be around 58-59, is that ok for a gpu?

Modern cards that have 0 RPM mode usually allow the card to heat up to about 55-60 C before turning on the fans so, that's how I set my curve up as well.

I usually idle at about 56 C while doing normal stuff and max out at 64-65 C while gaming.

I'm not very caught up with RTX cards but, you'll probably see around 65-70 C max if you push the Overclock on your card which is fine but, as the temperatures rise, your Core clock will start to go down so, keep in mind that cooler is better if you really want to push the card to its limits.