Sony wh-1000xm3 mic issue

Will01

I'm trying to use my new sony wh-1000xm3 and need the mic on them for chatting to friends on discord whilst i work out a permanent setup for my new mic. But it just wont work. On control panel sound there is 2 options for playback, one called stereo and one called hands free. stereo is the right option as hands free sounds like rubbish quality. But on recording it only shows hands free and once it is enabled and set as default or whatever suddenly i now cannot hear anything through my headset although the mic does work, although apparently it sounds horrible according to my friends. like robotic. So its like there should be an option under recording called stereo maybe? like the headset doesnt like you mixing up stero and hands free? Im new to bluetooth headsets in general so any help would be massively appropriated, thanks in advance guys!

58 minutes ago, Will01 said:

I'm trying to use my new sony wh-1000xm3 and need the mic on them for chatting to friends on discord whilst i work out a permanent setup for my new mic. But it just wont work. On control panel sound there is 2 options for playback, one called stereo and one called hands free. stereo is the right option as hands free sounds like rubbish quality. But on recording it only shows hands free and once it is enabled and set as default or whatever suddenly i now cannot hear anything through my headset although the mic does work, although apparently it sounds horrible according to my friends. like robotic. So its like there should be an option under recording called stereo maybe? like the headset doesnt like you mixing up stero and hands free? Im new to bluetooth headsets in general so any help would be massively appropriated, thanks in advance guys!

Try selecting stereo in discord, saving, then do ctrl + r in discord. Also, try using the headphones in mobile Discord to see if it's the headphones.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

19 hours ago, food158 said:

Try selecting stereo in discord, saving, then do ctrl + r in discord. Also, try using the headphones in mobile Discord to see if it's the headphones.

Do you mean stereo for input or output? and it works fine on my phone although apparently it sounds rubbish quality to my friends. 

4 hours ago, Will01 said:

Do you mean stereo for input or output? and it works fine on my phone although apparently it sounds rubbish quality to my friends. 

Is it so bad that it interferes with whatever you're doing?

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

9 minutes ago, food158 said:

Is it so bad that it interferes with whatever you're doing?

Well, i literally have no audio at all when i am using the mic on the headset. and apparently it sounds awful. so its literally unusable as i cannot hear. sound panel sound shows audio is coming through stereo once the hands free mic is enabled but i dont actually hear anything

46 minutes ago, Will01 said:

Well, i literally have no audio at all when i am using the mic on the headset. and apparently it sounds awful. so its literally unusable as i cannot hear. sound panel sound shows audio is coming through stereo once the hands free mic is enabled but i dont actually hear anything

And this happens only on your computer?

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

2 minutes ago, food158 said:

And this happens only on your computer?

yeah

1 minute ago, food158 said:

Reinstall discord?

discord isn't the problem. even taking it out of the equation the problem still persists. as soon as I enable the mic, i stop hearing any sound 

I vaguely recall there being a thing where when in high quality wireless headphone mode, most wireless headphones MUST use hands free codec, because all that bandwidth is going to the headphones and not the mic.

I could be wrong though, this is a pretty sketchy memory.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

On 3/16/2019 at 6:42 PM, AAJoe said:

I vaguely recall there being a thing where when in high quality wireless headphone mode, most wireless headphones MUST use hands free codec, because all that bandwidth is going to the headphones and not the mic.

I could be wrong though, this is a pretty sketchy memory.

to be honest i think you might be right. ended up picking up a cheap mic, kind of annoying but it seemed the mic was crap on the sonys anyways, thanks guys

Sennheiser explained it in this post. https://sennheiseruk.happyfox.com/kb/article/175-different-bluetooth-profiles-a2dp-vs-hsp/

Different Bluetooth Profiles (A2DP vs HSP)

When you are just listening to music, your headset will be connecting via the A2DP Bluetooth profile (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), which gives the best quality stereo audio connection. But, there is no possibility to use a microphone with this profile. 
When you want to use the microphone, it has to switch to the HSP Bluetooth profile (Headset Profile). This allows bi-directional audio - i.e. a headphone and a microphone - but the quality will be lower.
This is because of the restricted bandwidth for passing data wirelessly via Bluetooth. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Any news or future improvements on audio quality with mic option?

Specified LDAC / aptX bandwith speeds should allow mic use and decent audio quality right?

Any new or updated A2DP protocol on the way maybe?

Not that I am aware of. When we created the ModMic Wireless we needed to overcome this hurdle by being rather clever as opposed to using a codec for microphones. We basically have to trick the computer into thinking the mic is the headphones.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!