RGB Newbie

Visuals

Hey guys

i plan to make a new build and i want to add some RGB Stuff to it (no surprise there i think)

Unfortunately i have some problems with understanding how it really works.

i want to use a ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Mainboard and i would like to install 6 RGB Fans and maybe 1-2 RGB Strips.

For the Fans i was looking at the Thermaltake Riing Trio or Lian-Li BR120 RGB (any other suggestions?)

I'm also using a Water Cooling Block from Barrow which supports also Aura

What do i need to connect all this equipment to the mainboard and sync it with the  Aura Sync Software from the mainboard.

this is the point where i don’t know how it really works.
do i need a special hub or whatever?

i would really appreciate your help.

Cheers

Visuals

@Visuals 6 Fans and water cooling?!?!? What is your case? Thats quite insane! (For my standards. I have one fan and air cooling.)

its a  Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic Case. The 6 fans are for the radiators on the water cooling loop.

dont worry, it wont be a "unicorn rainbow puke" build, but i need the RGB to sync it on single colors.

back to topic:

can anyone of you help me with my problem?

6 hours ago, Visuals said:

Hey guys

i plan to make a new build and i want to add some RGB Stuff to it (no surprise there i think)

Unfortunately i have some problems with understanding how it really works.

i want to use a ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Mainboard and i would like to install 6 RGB Fans and maybe 1-2 RGB Strips.

For the Fans i was looking at the Thermaltake Riing Trio or Lian-Li BR120 RGB (any other suggestions?)

I'm also using a Water Cooling Block from Barrow which supports also Aura

What do i need to connect all this equipment to the mainboard and sync it with the  Aura Sync Software from the mainboard.

this is the point where i don’t know how it really works.
do i need a special hub or whatever?

Hi !

RGB is a huge mess.

Recent motherboards have RGB Headers and / or Digital RGB headers. They both allow rgb software control but Digital wil enable adress each led individually while classic RGB header will color all the chain in the same way.

Each manufacturer provides a software (aura sync, RGB fusion...)

When you purchase any RGB component, be sure that it is being sold as compatible with your MB software (althought I already had Aura sync components working on a RGB Fusion MB without any problem).

It's the same for hubs. Be sure that they have rgb header connectors. Some of them have only external remote control, other like Corsair RGB Hub will only connect to your USB header, and work only with their own software, meaning that you'll be able to control rgb but you won't be able to sync them with your rgb header components.

I made this mistake. However, I modded my Corsair hub to make it work using a rgb header, which definitely saved me.

Regarding chaining : you can chain multiple components to the same hub (all same brand, plus depends on the hub capacity) or to the same RGB / DRGB header, as long as you don't go over the max amperage of the header (depends on the MB and on the components).

Also, most rgb peripherals use 5V, but other use 12V. Headers usually have a 5 or 12 V jumper so you won't be able to combine 5 & 12V components on the same header.

RGB multiplexers are cheap (at Aliexpress F.E., a bit more expensive if you go with brands such as cooler master) and easy to get.

Regarding my own case. My MB has 2 12V RGB headers and 2 jumber 5/12V DRGB headers. I connected :

RGB Header 1 : 1 Jobsno led strip and 4 ram RGB heat spreaders from the same brand. They come with chaining adapters.

RGB header 2 : Nothing at the moment, but I'm planning to connect my Phanteks CPU block + EK GPU waterblock once I built my Loop

DRGB header 1 : As mentionned earlier, I have 5 HD120 case fans connected to a corsair hub (provided with hd120 fans pack). This hub is meant to be controlled either with the embedded remote, or using a usb header adapter. What I did is I cut the remote cable and modded it with a spare rgb header cable. Fans are now controlled with RGBfusion. Luck ? Mabe. But technically RGB cables are just power + power control connected to regular LEDs. Manufacturers just try to make you buy more from them and use their own software.

DRGB header 2 : Nothing at the moment. I'll connect my RGB backplate when I recieve it.

My case is a Phanteks p350X which comes with a rgb header cable but I currently don't need it as the default rainbow animation suits me very well.

So basically I was able to connect 5 HD120 Fans to the same drgb header without going over amperage limitation.

I hope this helps !

Vincent

Just another engineer posting useful hardware videos directly to the interconnected network (AKA the internet)

Tech enthusiast. Check my channel out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6FU1nfeGBBnw_bvHgWCqTQ

22 hours ago, Visuals said:

Thanks a lot Vincent for your very informative post.

i found the Thermaltake Sync Controller Premium which should do the tick for me. (at least i hope so)

My pleasure ! 

As as long as the hub is ready for your peripherals and it has a control cable that suits your usecase then you’re good to go !

just ensure that TT hub works not only with TT things.

Just another engineer posting useful hardware videos directly to the interconnected network (AKA the internet)

Tech enthusiast. Check my channel out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6FU1nfeGBBnw_bvHgWCqTQ

There's also NZXT and Corsair stuff, which don't need RGB headers to operate, but connect to their own peripherals which in turn connect to the motherboard with USB headers and are powered by Sata. 

One Lighting Node and One RGB fan hub will be able to drive 6 fans and 6 strips.

6 hours ago, Insorior said:

My pleasure ! 

As as long as the hub is ready for your peripherals and it has a control cable that suits your usecase then you’re good to go ! 

just ensure that TT hub works not only with TT things.

How can i really assure that it's ready for my peripherals?

is there any way to find out what is matching together or not?

i read a little bit about this controler and it looks like its only compatible with TT Fans and stuff.... it's not a complete dealbreaker for me but i would have prefered to have white fans instead of the black ones.

45 minutes ago, Visuals said:

How can i really assure that it's ready for my peripherals?

is there any way to find out what is matching together or not?

i read a little bit about this controler and it looks like its only compatible with TT Fans and stuff.... it's not a complete dealbreaker for me but i would have prefered to have white fans instead of the black ones.

Usually, each manufacturer has his own hub, which will accept only their proprietary components connectors, and the controller itself may have a universal connector to a rgb or usb header.

i would suggest going with components that have either a rgb header cable or a compatible common hub.